Squeak Does Not Run on MAC OS Sierra

glenpaling
I foolishly updated my Macs to the latest OS (Sierra) without checking for compatibility with Squeak. No recent (all Cog?) VMs will work. The VM launches but no window appears. The problem appears to be addressed in OpenSmalltalk macOS Sierra Support issue #39 (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/39). It's marked as 'Closed'. Are there plans to include this fix in the official Squeak release?

I see that I can download and build my own VM from the Open Smalltalk site but I've never done this before, it looks a little ominous....

Perhaps a note in Squeak News and on the Squeak website would help to warn other users that they will not be able to run Squeak if they upgrade their OS.

Glen

Re: Squeak Does Not Run on MAC OS Sierra

Levente Uzonyi
Hi Glen,

You can give the latest automatically built VM a try:
https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/201610042023#files

It probably includes the fix for that issue, but it may have some other
bugs.

Levente

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016, glenpaling wrote:

> I foolishly updated my Macs to the latest OS (Sierra) without checking for
> compatibility with Squeak. No recent (all Cog?) VMs will work. The VM
> launches but no window appears. The problem appears to be addressed in
> OpenSmalltalk macOS Sierra Support issue #39
> (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/39). It's marked
> as 'Closed'. Are there plans to include this fix in the official Squeak
> release?
>
> I see that I can download and build my own VM from the Open Smalltalk site
> but I've never done this before, it looks a little ominous....
>
> Perhaps a note in Squeak News and on the Squeak website would help to warn
> other users that they will not be able to run Squeak if they upgrade their
> OS.
>
> Glen

Re: Squeak Does Not Run on MAC OS Sierra

Ben Coman
Pharo had the same problem, which users report as successfully fixed.
However the last response I see says...
> he has to copy it into /Applications because otherwise Sierra copy it into a sandbox (then it does not find sources).

You can search  'Sierra' on forum.world.st for more info.

cheers -ben

On Tue, Oct 11, 2016 at 1:13 AM, glenpaling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I foolishly updated my Macs to the latest OS (Sierra) without checking for
> compatibility with Squeak. No recent (all Cog?) VMs will work. The VM
> launches but no window appears. The problem appears to be addressed in
> OpenSmalltalk macOS Sierra Support issue #39
> (https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/issues/39). It's marked
> as 'Closed'. Are there plans to include this fix in the official Squeak
> release?
>
> I see that I can download and build my own VM from the Open Smalltalk site
> but I've never done this before, it looks a little ominous....
>
> Perhaps a note in Squeak News and on the Squeak website would help to warn
> other users that they will not be able to run Squeak if they upgrade their
> OS.
>
> Glen

Re: Squeak Does Not Run on MAC OS Sierra

glenpaling
Thanks Levente, that worked.

Glen