Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

robert.kuropkat
Is there an updated Ready.image file (the one that goes with the book)
that works with the latest Squeak?  I'm looking to teach a class and
wanted to use this book, but at first blush, the image does not seem to
work with Squeak 5.2 (on Linux at least).

Robert Kuropkat

Re: Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

David T. Lewis
On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 03:48:25PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> Is there an updated Ready.image file (the one that goes with the book)
> that works with the latest Squeak?  I'm looking to teach a class and
> wanted to use this book, but at first blush, the image does not seem to
> work with Squeak 5.2 (on Linux at least).

Hi Robert,

I do not remember anyone mentioning an update to the image, so I suspect
that the original image that came with the book would be the one to use.

The most recent VMs for Squeak will probably not run an image from that
era, but if you are using Linux for the class, it will not be difficult
to provide a compatible VM.

If the Ready.image is available for download, could you please give a
link to the download site? I would be happy to take a look at it and
suggest a suitable VM for running that image.

Dave

On Sun, 2019-03-03 at 13:47 -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 03:48:25PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> > Is there an updated Ready.image file (the one that goes with the
> > book)
> > that works with the latest Squeak?  I'm looking to teach a class
> > and
> > wanted to use this book, but at first blush, the image does not
> > seem to
> > work with Squeak 5.2 (on Linux at least).
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I do not remember anyone mentioning an update to the image, so I
> suspect
> that the original image that came with the book would be the one to
> use.
>
> The most recent VMs for Squeak will probably not run an image from
> that
> era, but if you are using Linux for the class, it will not be
> difficult
> to provide a compatible VM.
>
> If the Ready.image is available for download, could you please give a
> link to the download site? I would be happy to take a look at it and
> suggest a suitable VM for running that image.
>
> Dave

Dave,

I retrieved the download from here: https://github.com/apress/squeak  I
grabbed the ReadyPC-05052005.zip.  It worked fine on Linux using the
latest Squeak v3.  It would not work in v4 or v5.  I was also planning
to use Squeak By Example (which I believe is v4 era) as well as other,
more modern examples for a beginner class.  Version 3, 4 and 5 are all
available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  I **could** have students
install all three versions (I did that on Linux) but was kind of hoping
to avoid that if it was possible to port these images to v5.

The ReadyPC zip file contains the following:

luth.frm  Ready.changes  Ready.image  spider.frm  Squeak.exe  SqueakV3.
sources

On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 07:42:29PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:

> On Sun, 2019-03-03 at 13:47 -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 02, 2019 at 03:48:25PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> > > Is there an updated Ready.image file (the one that goes with the
> > > book)
> > > that works with the latest Squeak?  I'm looking to teach a class
> > > and
> > > wanted to use this book, but at first blush, the image does not
> > > seem to
> > > work with Squeak 5.2 (on Linux at least).
> >
> > Hi Robert,
> >
> > I do not remember anyone mentioning an update to the image, so I
> > suspect
> > that the original image that came with the book would be the one to
> > use.
> >
> > The most recent VMs for Squeak will probably not run an image from
> > that
> > era, but if you are using Linux for the class, it will not be
> > difficult
> > to provide a compatible VM.
> >
> > If the Ready.image is available for download, could you please give a
> > link to the download site? I would be happy to take a look at it and
> > suggest a suitable VM for running that image.
> >
> > Dave
> >

> Dave,
>
> I retrieved the download from here: https://github.com/apress/squeak  I
> grabbed the ReadyPC-05052005.zip.  It worked fine on Linux using the
> latest Squeak v3.  It would not work in v4 or v5.  I was also planning
> to use Squeak By Example (which I believe is v4 era) as well as other,
> more modern examples for a beginner class.  Version 3, 4 and 5 are all
> available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  I **could** have students
> install all three versions (I did that on Linux) but was kind of hoping
> to avoid that if it was possible to port these images to v5.
>
> The ReadyPC zip file contains the following:
>
> luth.frm  Ready.changes  Ready.image  spider.frm  Squeak.exe  SqueakV3.
> sources

Hi Robert,

As far as I am aware, the images that go with these books are not being
actively updated for newer versions of Squeak. But aside from the inconvenience
of installing multiple versions, there should be nothing wrong with using
those images exactly as they are. They should work fine, and by using the
old images you can be more confident that the systems will work as
described in the books.

I downloaded the zip for Ready.image, and the image seems to work fine with
the interpreter VM that I have installed on my Linux PC. This is a VM
that I compiled from latest sources, so I am confident that if the
VMs that you are using with the book distributions do not work properly,
then an updated VM for Linux can be provided (and I would be happy to
help with that if needed).

Dave

Re: Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

robert.kuropkat
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:54:48 -0500
  "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>books are not being
> actively updated for newer versions of Squeak. But aside
>from the inconvenience
> of installing multiple versions, there should be nothing
>wrong with using
> those images exactly as they are. They should work fine,
>and by using the
> old images you can be more confident that the systems
>will work as
> described in the books.
>
> I downloaded the zip for Ready.image, and the image
>seems to work fine with
> the interpreter VM that I have installed on my Linux PC.
>This is a VM
> that I compiled from latest sources, so I am confident
>that if the
> VMs that you are using with the book distributions do
>not work properly,
> then an updated VM for Linux can be provided (and I

David,

You make a solid point about sticking with the version of
Squeak the image was made for.  So for the purpose of the
class, I may well do so.  Installing and running different
versions of Squeak might be a lesson in itself.

However, did I understand correctly that you were able to
use the Ready.image with Squeak v5-ish?  If so, that means
I'm doing something wrong, so would love to get educated
on that issue.

On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 03:19:50PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:

> On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:54:48 -0500
>  "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >On Sun, Mar 03, 2019 at 07:42:29PM -0500, Robert
> >Kuropkat wrote:

> >>I retrieved the download from here: https://github.com/apress/squeak  I
> >>grabbed the ReadyPC-05052005.zip.  It worked fine on Linux using the
> >>latest Squeak v3.  It would not work in v4 or v5.  I was also planning
> >>to use Squeak By Example (which I believe is v4 era) as well as other,
> >>more modern examples for a beginner class.  Version 3, 4 and 5 are all
> >>available for Windows, Mac and Linux.  I **could** have students
> >>install all three versions (I did that on Linux) but was kind of hoping
> >>to avoid that if it was possible to port these images to v5.
> >>
> >>The ReadyPC zip file contains the following:
> >>
> >>luth.frm  Ready.changes Ready.image  spider.frm Squeak.exe  SqueakV3.sources
> >
> >Hi Robert,
> >
> >As far as I am aware, the images that go with these books are not being
> >actively updated for newer versions of Squeak. But aside from the inconvenience
> >of installing multiple versions, there should be nothing wrong with using
> >those images exactly as they are. They should work fine, and by using the
> >old images you can be more confident that the systems will work as
> >described in the books.
> >
> >I downloaded the zip for Ready.image, and the image seems to work fine with
> >the interpreter VM that I have installed on my Linux PC. This is a VM
> >that I compiled from latest sources, so I am confident that if the
> >VMs that you are using with the book distributions do not work properly,
> >then an updated VM for Linux can be provided (and I would be happy to
> >help with that if needed).
> >

> David,
>
> You make a solid point about sticking with the version of
> Squeak the image was made for.  So for the purpose of the
> class, I may well do so.  Installing and running different
> versions of Squeak might be a lesson in itself.
>
> However, did I understand correctly that you were able to
> use the Ready.image with Squeak v5-ish?  If so, that means
> I'm doing something wrong, so would love to get educated
> on that issue.

Hi Robert,

I think that we are mixing terms a bit with respect to Squeak
versions, so let me clarify what I was saying. When I speak about
a version of Squeak, I am thinking mainly of the image itself (the
squeak.image file and its companion squeak.changes file).

The VM (virtual machine) is the execution engine for that image,
and in general terms, any given version of Squeak (the image) will
run on any of several VMs, and any given VM will be able to run
various versions (but not all versions) of Squeak images.

For example, if you point your web browser to http://try.squeak.org
you will find a web based VM written in JavaScript that is able
to run a very wide range of Squeak versions. The VM is completely
different from the one that you might install on your Linux or
Windows PC, but it runs the Squeak images exactly as if they were
running on a traditional compiled VM.

If you are working with a Squeak image that was distributed with
a book, then you probably have both the image itself, and possibly
several VMs from that time period. You can be confident that the
image itself will still work well today, and probably for many more
years in the future. However, any VM that was distributed 10 years
ago or more may be in need of an update, due to changes in operating
systems and runtime libraries for those operating systems.

This is the reason that I wanted to test your Ready.image on a recently
compiled VM on my PC. This confirms that the image works, and also
that it would be possible for you to recompile a new version of the
VM for that image if you needed to do so,

In general, you will find that old VMs for Windows will work reliably
for many years, but VMs for Linux will need to be recompiled more
frequently.

Assuming that you are using Linux PCs for the class that you are planning
to teach, I would say that if you have a working image and VM combination,
then just use it. But if you do find problems using an older VM on Linux,
then I am confident that an updated VM can be provided (and I can help
with that).

Dave

On Mon, 2019-03-04 at 21:53 -0500, David T. Lewis wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 04, 2019 at 03:19:50PM -0500, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> > On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 12:54:48 -0500
> >  "David T. Lewis" <[hidden email]> wrote:

<snip>

> Hi Robert,
>
> I think that we are mixing terms a bit with respect to Squeak
> versions, so let me clarify what I was saying. When I speak about
> a version of Squeak, I am thinking mainly of the image itself (the
> squeak.image file and its companion squeak.changes file).
>
> The VM (virtual machine) is the execution engine for that image,
> and in general terms, any given version of Squeak (the image) will
> run on any of several VMs, and any given VM will be able to run
> various versions (but not all versions) of Squeak images.
>
> For example, if you point your web browser to http://try.squeak.org
> you will find a web based VM written in JavaScript that is able
> to run a very wide range of Squeak versions. The VM is completely
> different from the one that you might install on your Linux or
> Windows PC, but it runs the Squeak images exactly as if they were
> running on a traditional compiled VM.
>
> If you are working with a Squeak image that was distributed with
> a book, then you probably have both the image itself, and possibly
> several VMs from that time period. You can be confident that the
> image itself will still work well today, and probably for many more
> years in the future. However, any VM that was distributed 10 years
> ago or more may be in need of an update, due to changes in operating
> systems and runtime libraries for those operating systems.
>
> This is the reason that I wanted to test your Ready.image on a
> recently
> compiled VM on my PC. This confirms that the image works, and also
> that it would be possible for you to recompile a new version of the
> VM for that image if you needed to do so,
>
> In general, you will find that old VMs for Windows will work reliably
> for many years, but VMs for Linux will need to be recompiled more
> frequently.
>
> Assuming that you are using Linux PCs for the class that you are
> planning
> to teach, I would say that if you have a working image and VM
> combination,
> then just use it. But if you do find problems using an older VM on
> Linux,
> then I am confident that an updated VM can be provided (and I can
> help
> with that).
>
> Dave

Dave,

Finally getting back to this.  To make sure I am thinking clearly, the
image file can be named anything, in my case Ready.image and has a
matching file Ready.changes.  This particular file is a 3.x version of
Squeak.

The VM however, can be any version so long as it runs on the target
environment.  So if I download "Squeak v5" from the Squeak website, I
am getting v5 squeak.image and a "v5" VM.  However, I should be able to
point the v5 VM and the Ready.image file and it should work?  Assuming
I am doing it right, I get the following error:

Running 32-bit Squeak on a 64-bit System. install-libs32 may install
them.
Using /home/robert/Squeak5/Squeak5.2-18229-64bit-All-in-
One.app/Contents/Linux-i686/bin/squeak...
This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file (vers.
1712914432).

I believe I have installed the supporting 32bit libraries correctly.  I
also tried modifying the start.sh script and setting "IMAGE_BITS" to
"32".  That gave me an error about this VM not supporting Linux-i686
(that error was generated by the startup script, not Squeak itself).  I
tried cheating and linking that directory to Linux-x86_64 and got the
error above.  I didn't really expect that to work, but had to give it a
try :-)

Do I need a proper Linux-i686 compiled version or am I doing something
else wrong?

Robert

P.S.  I am running on Lubuntu 18.04, 64 bit...

Re: Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

K K Subbu
On 24/04/19 6:56 AM, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
> Running 32-bit Squeak on a 64-bit System. install-libs32 may install
> them.
> Using /home/robert/Squeak5/Squeak5.2-18229-64bit-All-in-
> One.app/Contents/Linux-i686/bin/squeak...
> This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file (vers.
> 1712914432).

This error means that you are trying to edit a 32-bit big-endian
(1712914432) V3 image with a VM that reads 64-bit spur images (68021).

You need a VM that can read 32-bit 6502 images (endian doesn't matter).
Simplest way to get going is to install squeak-vm package with:

    apt-get install squeak-vm

Regards .. Subbu

Re: Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

robert.kuropkat

Subbu,

Thank-you.  I thought for my v5 Squeak install I did that
and only installed the v3/4 Squeak VMs from the website
downloads.  However, I'll go double check that.

Robert Kuropkat

P.S.  The v3 Squeak VM works just fine with the image.
 It's my v4 and v5 VMs that do not...

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 11:01:08 +0530
  K K Subbu <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24/04/19 6:56 AM, Robert Kuropkat wrote:
>> Running 32-bit Squeak on a 64-bit System. install-libs32
>>may install
>> them.
>> Using /home/robert/Squeak5/Squeak5.2-18229-64bit-All-in-
>> One.app/Contents/Linux-i686/bin/squeak...
>> This interpreter (vers. 68021) cannot read image file
>>(vers.
>> 1712914432).
>
> This error means that you are trying to edit a 32-bit
>big-endian (1712914432) V3 image with a VM that reads
>64-bit spur images (68021).
>
> You need a VM that can read 32-bit 6502 images (endian
>doesn't matter). Simplest way to get going is to install
>squeak-vm package with:
>
>    apt-get install squeak-vm
>
> Regards .. Subbu

Re: Squeak Learn Programing with Robots

K K Subbu
Robert,

The v3 (aka classic or trunk) is just a synonym for 6502 format images.
It does not refer to the release version.

Squeak (the product) has three components, each with their own "version"
number

  * virtual machine (arch dependent). Use "-version" argument to get version
  * virtual image file (arch independent). See ckformat below
  * live object graph (arch independent). This graph is constructed in
memory from the image file and is associated with an update sequence
number. See "about squeak" to get this number.

The format number describes the encoding of object graph in an image
file. Use the ckformat executable to get this number.

  $ ckformat Squeak5.2-18225-64bit.image
  68021

E.g. Squeak5.2-18225-64bit.image is a Squeak 5.2 release with an update
sequence number of 18225 and a format number of 68021 with 64 bits per
word (aka spur64).

HTH .. Subbu