Squeak-Linux package: A problematic signal

Squeak-Linux package: A problematic signal

Heiko Schroeder
Dear list,

it is not the problem that I can get Squeak running under Linux. But think
about interested users or even programmers who want to get a glimpse of
Squeak 3.9.8 according to decision which environment is best -- and of course
newbies as well --  what will they get?

a.) An INSTALL-script which works. OK It is said that it is heavily
recommended not to move files around. OK

b.) With the next instruction the tragedy begins: It is recommended to invoke
*inisqueak*. And -- inisqueak ist missing. Ups, don't they test their
packages?

c.) While reading the manpage of inisqueak it is politely offered to write a
mail to the author Ian Piumarta. Great work, this site, but the address is
wrong.

d.) You remember that there was a second adress in the INSTALL-file for Ian.
It is wrong too..

e.) Then you try to invoke Squeak by squeak, not inisqueak. Perhaps this
succeeds. Of course a message arrives with the first suggestion:  Copy the
image and the change file into your current directory.

To say it clearly, please apologize my hard words: Do you think it might be
possible that the interested user asks himself: *Is this a hobby programmer
group or are there any real professionals at work?* Sorry, but think about
one who gets the first contact to Squeak while working under Linux.

Although all the effort is done by free will: Independent from that, wrong
information is worse than no information. Therefore, if time is lacking, it
would be better to comment nothing.

Next: The still interested user will have a look on the website and gets -- a
splendid website! Great!

And there is a category: Installation. Windows -- although I never observed
the slightest problems -- is described in detail. Mac as well. Linux or
Unix -- nothing. *Ah, this is the point.* Bye, bye. Let us turn over to GNU
Smalltalk or X/Smalltalk.

If you want to get acquainted to a highly acclaimed software like Squeak, and
face these avoidable problems, which have their roots in some basic
attitudes, I am afraid that it is a sign of healthy imagination to believe
that Linux users always try to figure out what the *author could have meant
if he would have had the time to express what he really means*.

Sorry, but I figured out that the problem with inisqueake, e.g. was reported
already by a user in March, and it seems as if there has no changing taken
place. I do not think that such an outstanding software like Squeak deserves
it.

Regards
Heiko
--
Heiko Schroeder
Praha, Ceska Republica
http://www.od.shuttle.de/evb-1

Re: Squeak-Linux package: A problematic signal

Lex Spoon-3
Heiko Schroeder <[hidden email]> writes:
> it is not the problem that I can get Squeak running under Linux. But think
> about interested users or even programmers who want to get a glimpse of
> Squeak 3.9.8 according to decision which environment is best -- and of course
> newbies as well --  what will they get?

I agree, Heiko.  I have fixed many of the issues you describe, but the
fixes are only in the Debian packages of Squeak, not in Ian's upstream
release.  In particular, I worked hard so that you can install easily
and just type "squeak" to get started.  Matej Kosik continued that
process as of a little over a year ago.

I believe there is room for a community-maintained version of Squeak
on Unix.  It would serve as a nice complement to Ian's release, which
would remain the proper choice for people who want only code that has
been reviewed by one of the best Squeakers around.

-Lex

Re: Squeak-Linux package: A problematic signal

K. K. Subramaniam
On Wednesday 22 August 2007 11:13 am, Heiko Schroeder wrote:
> e.) Then you try to invoke Squeak by squeak, not inisqueak. Perhaps this
> succeeds. Of course a message arrives with the first suggestion:  Copy the
> image and the change file into your current directory.
The command to start squeak (as used in program menu entries)
is 'startsqueak'. It will create and populate ~/squeak directory for you and
then launch squeak in that directory. Subsequently, running 'squeak' from
command line is faster and more flexible.

FWIW .. Subbu

subbukk <[hidden email]> writes:
> On Wednesday 22 August 2007 11:13 am, Heiko Schroeder wrote:
> > e.) Then you try to invoke Squeak by squeak, not inisqueak. Perhaps this
> > succeeds. Of course a message arrives with the first suggestion:  Copy the
> > image and the change file into your current directory.
> The command to start squeak (as used in program menu entries)
> is 'startsqueak'. It will create and populate ~/squeak directory for you and
> then launch squeak in that directory. Subsequently, running 'squeak' from
> command line is faster and more flexible.

This is only true for Ubuntu.  For Debian, it's "squeak".  For Ian's
packages, it's "inisqueak".

I believe the Ubuntu and Debian guys should work this out, and Ian
should either incorporate the updates or stop posting his own deb's.

A lot of thought and hours went into the Debian script.  Info on the
results and on the rationale are here:

  http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/5643

-Lex