Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma

Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma

Chris Muller
Hi Norbert, a quick answer.

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-January/010142.html

The image you're using has an old version of Magma that was not updated
for 3.9's switch to default text file-streams instead of binary.  Just
merge the latest version of Magma from SqueakMap or SqueakSource
"Magma" project.

> Message: 9
> Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:51:00 +0100
> From: Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>
> Subject: [Seaside] Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma
>
> Hi,
>
> I downloaded the  Squeak3.9-RC2-7064-SMP.image from squeak.org.
> After firing up the image I did the configuration for Magma
> like it is described in the howto. I can get to the point
> in the MagmaConfiguration where I should click the PRMagmaRepository
> create button. Pressing it shows up a page after a few seconds:
>
> Outage occurred while writing system-definitions! Will now attempt to
> repair.
>
> I left the Magma configuration for the path as it is (magma). I tried
> even with manually creating the magma directory. But I have no glue
> what this message want me to inform about :)
>
> regards,
>
> Norbert

> End of Seaside Digest, Vol 49, Issue 16

Re: Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma

NorbertHartl
Hi Chris,

I loaded the newest Magma and also code from MagmaTester.
But it didn't change anything. I built the same image like it
is described in the SMP image. It results in the same behaviour.
I couldn't test further as the newer Magma Server doesn't fit
to the Pier stuff. For instance there are problems through the
missing openControllers message and the way opening a path
changed from FileDirecory to String. And I don't have the time
to fix it right now.

Do you have any idea? Could you give a short explaination of the
problem?

thanks,

Norbert
On Sun, 2007-01-14 at 14:04 -0800, Chris Muller wrote:
> Hi Norbert, a quick answer.

> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-January/010142.html
>

> The image you're using has an old version of Magma that was not updated
> for 3.9's switch to default text file-streams instead of binary.  Just
> merge the latest version of Magma from SqueakMap or SqueakSource
> "Magma" project.
>

> > Message: 9
> > Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 12:51:00 +0100
> > From: Norbert Hartl <[hidden email]>
> > Subject: [Seaside] Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I downloaded the  Squeak3.9-RC2-7064-SMP.image from squeak.org.
> > After firing up the image I did the configuration for Magma
> > like it is described in the howto. I can get to the point
> > in the MagmaConfiguration where I should click the PRMagmaRepository
> > create button. Pressing it shows up a page after a few seconds:
> >
> > Outage occurred while writing system-definitions! Will now attempt to
> > repair.
> >
> > I left the Magma configuration for the path as it is (magma). I tried
> > even with manually creating the magma directory. But I have no glue
> > what this message want me to inform about :)
> >
> > regards,
> >
> > Norbert

> > End of Seaside Digest, Vol 49, Issue 16

New seaside developer.

agnaldo4j
Hello seaside list.

I'm a new seaside developer but not a new smalltalk developer. i have
one question how i use custom images in a project with squeak-seaside??
i do not understend this.

thank's

Agnaldo de Oliveira
        Brasil

Re: Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma

keith1y
Norbert Hartl wrote:

> Hi Chris,
>
> I loaded the newest Magma and also code from MagmaTester.
> But it didn't change anything. I built the same image like it
> is described in the SMP image. It results in the same behaviour.
> I couldn't test further as the newer Magma Server doesn't fit
> to the Pier stuff. For instance there are problems through the
> missing openControllers message and the way opening a path
> changed from FileDirecory to String. And I don't have the time
> to fix it right now.
>
> Do you have any idea? Could you give a short explaination of the
> problem?
>
> thanks,
>
> Norbert

I think the latest Magma has missed some fixes that are in the SMP
image, Chris was looking into it, I do not know if he found anything.

best regards

Keith

Re: Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma

Elfi Heck-2
Hi Norbert,

> I loaded the newest Magma and also code from MagmaTester.
> But it didn't change anything. I built the same image like it
> is described in the SMP image. It results in the same behaviour.
> I couldn't test further as the newer Magma Server doesn't fit
> to the Pier stuff. For instance there are problems through the
> missing openControllers message and the way opening a path
> changed from FileDirecory to String. And I don't have the time
> to fix it right now.

I have a working 3.9-Seaside/Magma/Pier image here (without "testing"
packages, however). If you want I can tell you exactly which package
versions are in it. Basically it's the following:
- Seaside 2.6b1 and its requirements
- Latest Scriptaculous
- Magritte, Pier and Magma (form MagmaTester repository) packages:
Latest labelled "kph" if one exists, latest otherwise

The last part is important: if you load "lr" Pier packages for example
they won't work with Magma because only the "kph" packages have the
neccessary methods.

One last: to be able to actually persist pages I had to rename
PRMagmaPersistency>>#doing:critical: to #command:critical:. My guess is
that Keith Hodges renamed the method, but somehow the older version of
PRMagmaPersistency got in the repository. If Keith is reading this: if
my guess is wrong and it's a bad idea renaming the method, please tell
me so.

HTH, Elfi

Re: Re: Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma

keith1y

> One last: to be able to actually persist pages I had to rename
> PRMagmaPersistency>>#doing:critical: to #command:critical:. My guess
> is that Keith Hodges renamed the method, but somehow the older version
> of PRMagmaPersistency got in the repository. If Keith is reading this:
> if my guess is wrong and it's a bad idea renaming the method, please
> tell me so.
>
> HTH, Elfi
Well spotted, do let me know if you find any others.

It does look like the fixes for Magma which allow a relative path have
not made it into the latest Magma releases. I have attempted to merge
them back into the latest. However I have only updated MagmaServerLoader
(since that is the only one that I have loaded).

I have now ported WADispatcherEditorPlugIn into Seaside 2.7 branch,
which means that in theory the Seaside Magma Pier can be used with
either Seaside 2.6 or 2.7. Now that SeasideInstaller is installing 2.7,
I guess the move to 2.7 is actually happening.

I have also attempted to merge in a few necessary fixes into the latest
Pier-Model, and Pier-Seaside.

A new preloaded SMP image is on its way some time later today after the
above have seen some testing.

Keith

Re: New seaside developer.

Philippe Marschall
2007/1/16, Agnaldo de Oliveira <[hidden email]>:
> Hello seaside list.
>
> I'm a new seaside developer but not a new smalltalk developer. i have
> one question how i use custom images in a project with squeak-seaside??
> i do not understend this.

What do you mean with custom images? Static images or dynamically
generated images?

Cheers
Philippe

Re: New seaside developer.

agnaldo4j
Sorry Philippe,

My question  is confuse, i remake this in another e-mail with subject:
"How serve static files with seaside???"

thak's

Agnaldo

> 2007/1/16, Agnaldo de Oliveira <[hidden email]>:
>> Hello seaside list.
>>
>> I'm a new seaside developer but not a new smalltalk developer. i have
>> one question how i use custom images in a project with squeak-seaside??
>> i do not understend this.
>
> What do you mean with custom images? Static images or dynamically
> generated images?
>
> Cheers
> Philippe

Re: Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma

Chris Muller
> I think the latest Magma has missed some fixes that are in the SMP
> image, Chris was looking into it, I do not know if he found anything.
>
> best regards
>
> Keith

Wow, I am so busted..  I never merged these enhancements!  I'm very
sorry Keith, I remember looking at the first few, but I got swamped and
never actually merged any of them.  I'll get them merged ASAP and post
a new Magma hopefully this week.

In the meantime, Norbert, if you change the following method,
MaTransactionalFileStream>>#open from:

        self isPhysical ifTrue: [ fileStream open ]

        self isPhysical ifTrue: [ fileStream open binary ]

I *think* it will fix the "Outage occured while writing
system-definitions" message.

 - Chris

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 20:52 -0800, Chris Muller wrote:

> > I think the latest Magma has missed some fixes that are in the SMP
> > image, Chris was looking into it, I do not know if he found anything.
> >
> > best regards
> >
> > Keith
>
> Wow, I am so busted..  I never merged these enhancements!  I'm very
> sorry Keith, I remember looking at the first few, but I got swamped and
> never actually merged any of them.  I'll get them merged ASAP and post
> a new Magma hopefully this week.
>
> In the meantime, Norbert, if you change the following method,
> MaTransactionalFileStream>>#open from:
>
> self isPhysical ifTrue: [ fileStream open ]

> self isPhysical ifTrue: [ fileStream open binary ]
>
> I *think* it will fix the "Outage occured while writing
> system-definitions" message.

No, it doesn't. Same error. What I can't understand is that I'm using
the published image from Keith. And it seems I'm the only one having
this problem. That bugs me a little bit. I tried even with 3.7-7 vm
and 3.9-8.

Norbert

Re: Squeak-Magma-Pier image failed for magma

Elfi Heck-2
Hi Norbert,

> No, it doesn't. Same error. What I can't understand is that I'm using
> the published image from Keith. And it seems I'm the only one having
> this problem. That bugs me a little bit. I tried even with 3.7-7 vm
> and 3.9-8.
Not the only one. I can confirm that the downloadable image does not
work (not always work?).
Keith already said too that he will publish a newer preconfigured image
soon. If you can't wait, your best option is probably building a new one
from the more recent packages in the respective
(Monticello-)repositories. If you absolutely have no success, I can
offer giving you mine, if you can tell me a URL to upload it to
(wouldn't want to make it publicly available however, because it has no
instructions workspaces and no unit tests in it).

Regards, Elfi