classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

darth-cheney
Hi all,

What is the current organization for Squeak (and Opensmalltalk) when it comes to funding? I know there is a Squeak Foundation, but can't really find much information about it. Is there a relevant 501c3 that deals with funding?

One of the reasons I'm asking is that it's very apparent there could be lots of improvement across all current Smalltalks if there were more funding. Has the Squeak board considered setting up a Patreon or similar (there is even Github sponsored projects)? I know that startups like Patreon are not a panacea to the large problems with funding projects and basic research that exist today. Still, I think you could get a good share of the active Smalltalk community to pony up $5 a month or for a year or even more.

--
Eric

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

Christoph Thiede

... for example, to hire a professional designer for icons in Squeak ...

Or were you rather thinking of server fees and so on?

Best,

Christoph

Von: Squeak-dev <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von Eric Gade <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Dienstag, 3. März 2020 17:00:57
An: The general-purpose Squeak developers list
Betreff: [squeak-dev] Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

Hi all,

What is the current organization for Squeak (and Opensmalltalk) when it comes to funding? I know there is a Squeak Foundation, but can't really find much information about it. Is there a relevant 501c3 that deals with funding?

One of the reasons I'm asking is that it's very apparent there could be lots of improvement across all current Smalltalks if there were more funding. Has the Squeak board considered setting up a Patreon or similar (there is even Github sponsored projects)? I know that startups like Patreon are not a panacea to the large problems with funding projects and basic research that exist today. Still, I think you could get a good share of the active Smalltalk community to pony up $5 a month or for a year or even more.

--
Eric

Carpe Squeak!
Reply | Threaded
|

darth-cheney
Sure, icons are one example. I am also thinking VM development. Or to pay someone to revamp Morphic / graphics, etc. I think these are big scale areas of improvement that are hard to pull off with lots of small contributions and therefore would benefit from funding

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020, 12:42 PM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Best,

Christoph

Hi all,

--
Eric

Reply | Threaded
|

In reply to this post by darth-cheney

-----Original Message-----
  Sent: Tue, 3 Mar 2020 12:59:12 -0500
  To: [hidden email]
 Subject: Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

>Sure, icons are one example. I am also thinking VM development. Or to pay
>someone to revamp Morphic / graphics, etc. I think these are big scale
>areas of improvement that are h

==================================================================
This mobile text message is brought to you by AT&T

Reply | Threaded
|

Jakob Reschke
Keyboard/input handling!

:-)

Eric Gade <[hidden email]> schrieb am Di., 3. März 2020, 19:00:
Sure, icons are one example. I am also thinking VM development. Or to pay someone to revamp Morphic / graphics, etc. I think these are big scale areas of improvement that are hard to pull off with lots of small contributions and therefore would benefit from funding

On Tue, Mar 3, 2020, 12:42 PM Thiede, Christoph <[hidden email]> wrote:

Best,

Christoph

Hi all,

--
Eric

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 2020-03-03, at 8:00 AM, Eric Gade <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> What is the current organization for Squeak (and Opensmalltalk) when it comes to funding? I know there is a Squeak Foundation, but can't really find much information about it. Is there a relevant 501c3 that deals with funding?

Squeak is a member project of the Software Freedom Conservancy (https://sfconservancy.org) which is indeed a USA 501( c )(3) organisation. You can make project directed donations to Squeak via PayPal using the not-as-visible-as-it-should-be heart icon at the top right of the home page of squeak.org.

Currently we are alarmingly close to broke, but then we have very low expenses (though there appears to be some current concern about server charges despite a supposed sponsorship arrangement for the SFC). We really ought to have more in the bank.

I've previously advocated for donations along the lines of a dollar per year for every year you have used Squeak as a hobbyist. Or perhaps make that $10 if you use Squeak for business. If you run a business that relies upon Squeak then it really ought not be too much to ask for a few hundred bucks a year.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hands....