Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

darth-cheney
Hi all,

What is the current organization for Squeak (and Opensmalltalk) when it comes to funding? I know there is a Squeak Foundation, but can't really find much information about it. Is there a relevant 501c3 that deals with funding?

One of the reasons I'm asking is that it's very apparent there could be lots of improvement across all current Smalltalks if there were more funding. Has the Squeak board considered setting up a Patreon or similar (there is even Github sponsored projects)? I know that startups like Patreon are not a panacea to the large problems with funding projects and basic research that exist today. Still, I think you could get a good share of the active Smalltalk community to pony up $5 a month or for a year or even more.

--
Eric

Re: Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

Christoph Thiede

... for example, to hire a professional designer for icons in Squeak ...

Or were you rather thinking of server fees and so on?

Best,

Christoph

Carpe Squeak!

Re: Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

6107415315
7726

This mobile text message is brought to you by AT&T

Re: Squeak/Opensmalltalk Funding and Organization

timrowledge

> On 2020-03-03, at 8:00 AM, Eric Gade <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
>
> What is the current organization for Squeak (and Opensmalltalk) when it comes to funding? I know there is a Squeak Foundation, but can't really find much information about it. Is there a relevant 501c3 that deals with funding?

Squeak is a member project of the Software Freedom Conservancy (https://sfconservancy.org) which is indeed a USA 501( c )(3) organisation. You can make project directed donations to Squeak via PayPal using the not-as-visible-as-it-should-be heart icon at the top right of the home page of squeak.org.

Currently we are alarmingly close to broke, but then we have very low expenses (though there appears to be some current concern about server charges despite a supposed sponsorship arrangement for the SFC). We really ought to have more in the bank.

I've previously advocated for donations along the lines of a dollar per year for every year you have used Squeak as a hobbyist. Or perhaps make that $10 if you use Squeak for business. If you run a business that relies upon Squeak then it really ought not be too much to ask for a few hundred bucks a year.

tim
How many of you believe in telekinesis? Raise my hands....