Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

12

Re: Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

marcel.taeumel (old)
Hi, everyone. :)

I'd like to run for the Squeak Oversight Board this time.

I have a strong interest in improving Squeak's user experience. This does not necessarily mean to introduce all the features known from mainstream programming environments such as Eclipse. In my PhD thesis, I am exploring the benefits of live programming systems. Some of those ideas could easily flow back from that research project [1] into Squeak. ;)

Recently, I joined Squeak's core development team and provided several fixes and features to the base system, Morphic, and its tools. I collaborated with Levente to provide an implementation of OrderedDictionary [2], with Elliot to provide support for long file paths to Windows-related parts of the CogVM [3], and with Bert to discuss several implementation details/issues in the base system.

I have been working with Squeak since 2007. Back then, we have created a small Sokoban clone [4]. Other (research) projects include an issue tracker with Seaside [5], source code annotation in Morphic [6], and a prototypical requirements planning tool [7]. Some current side-projects include an observer framework based on Qt's Signals [8], an animation framework [9], and a full replacement of Morphic's widgets [10] that makes use of signals.

I enjoy the Squeak community and its discussions on the mailing lists.

To give you an impression of how my current Squeak programming system looks like:

vivide-squeak.png

Best,
Marcel

[1] https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide
[2] http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Collections-mt-593-mcz-td4799750.html
[3] http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/collaborators/
[4] http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/olpc/index.html
[5] https://vimeo.com/102603629
[6] https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/codetalk
[7] https://vimeo.com/102603631
[8] https://github.com/marceltaeumel/signals
[9] https://github.com/marceltaeumel/animations
[10] https://github.com/marceltaeumel/widgets

RE: Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

Edgar De Cleene

El 2/9/15, 5:20 PM, "Chris Muller" <[hidden email]> escribió:

>I'm pretty good when it comes to taking up space, so let me announce
>my candidacy for one of those two remaining slots.  :)
>
>2015 is going to be a huge year for me; besides the doors that have
>already been opened by a stable Spur VM, I can already see that the
>new 64-bit images will require a file-format change for Magma.  On top
>of that, I also want to reinvent Maui inside the browser, backed by
>Squeak and Seaside.
>
>The goal of these frameworks is to provide the shallowest possible
>entrance-ramp for Squeak, so that users can write usable applications
>even by focusing almost solely on domain code, instead of on
>"developer issues" like persistence and UI code.
>
>Squeak and you people in its community are important to me, I truly
>like everyone here as fellow humans, maybe to the point that it has
>made me too comfortable around you at times that I would continue to
>pester you with my arguments.  I think the mention of attracting women
>in the community invites a whole new and better dimension of
>communication-style in this community which I wholeheartedly support.
>In fact I would like to embrace it now, whether we have women in the
>community yet or not.  I'm committing myself to /ensuring/ I only
>engage in positive and productive discussion.
>
>This reflects my same passion I've always had to fulfill our dreams
>and goals for Squeak.  I want it to be great (as we all do), and I
>want it to remain accessible, even to a non-developer audience.
>

>+1

Re: Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

garduino
Hi Marcel!

It's nice to see you running for a site in the Board!

I saw some of your projects, but not all of them (Noticed now with the links that you provided) and are really very interesting stuff!

BTW the yaiiit.net site is not working, from here at least

vivide-squeak.png <http://forum.world.st/file/n4804841/vivide-squeak.png>

Best,
Marcel

[1] https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide
[2] http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Collections-mt-593-mcz-td4799750.html
[3] http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/collaborators/
[4] http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/olpc/index.html
[5] https://vimeo.com/102603629
[6]
https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/codetalk
[7] https://vimeo.com/102603631
[8] https://github.com/marceltaeumel/signals
[9] https://github.com/marceltaeumel/animations
[10] https://github.com/marceltaeumel/widgets

Saludos / Regards,
Germán Arduino
www.arduinosoftware.com

Re: Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Feb 10, 2015 at 12:45:26AM -0800, Marcel Taeumel wrote:
> Hi, everyone. :)
>
> I'd like to run for the Squeak Oversight Board this time.

Excellent. Thank you for running!

Dave

Re: Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

marcel.taeumel (old)
Unfortunately, there is no running instance of yaiiit. No sure, whether my colleague owns that domain anymore.

Best,
Marcel

Re: Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

Casey Ransberger-2

And a good one at that. Thanks for running!

Re: Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

Casey Ransberger-2
Bravo! Thanks for running Marcel.

> On Feb 10, 2015, at 12:45 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, everyone. :)
>
> I'd like to run for the Squeak Oversight Board this time.
>
> I have a strong interest in improving Squeak's user experience. This does
> not necessarily mean to introduce all the features known from mainstream
> programming environments such as Eclipse. In my PhD thesis, I am exploring
> the benefits of live programming systems. Some of those ideas could easily
> flow back from that research project [1] into Squeak. ;)
>
> Recently, I joined Squeak's core development team and provided several fixes
> and features to the base system, Morphic, and its tools. I collaborated with
> Levente to provide an implementation of OrderedDictionary [2], with Elliot
> to provide support for long file paths to Windows-related parts of the CogVM
> [3], and with Bert to discuss several implementation details/issues in the
> base system.
>
> I have been working with Squeak since 2007. Back then, we have created a
> small Sokoban clone [4]. Other (research) projects include an issue tracker
> with Seaside [5], source code annotation in Morphic [6], and a prototypical
> requirements planning tool [7]. Some current side-projects include an
> observer framework based on Qt's Signals [8], an animation framework [9],
> and a full replacement of Morphic's widgets [10] that makes use of signals.
>
> I enjoy the Squeak community and its discussions on the mailing lists.
>
> To give you an impression of how my current Squeak programming system looks
> like:
>
> vivide-squeak.png <http://forum.world.st/file/n4804841/vivide-squeak.png>
>
> Best,
> Marcel
>
> [1] https://github.com/hpi-swa/vivide
> [2] http://forum.world.st/The-Trunk-Collections-mt-593-mcz-td4799750.html
> [3] http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/collaborators/
> [4] http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/projects/olpc/index.html
> [5] https://vimeo.com/102603629
> [6]
> https://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/trac/SqueakCommunityProjects/wiki/codetalk
> [7] https://vimeo.com/102603631
> [8] https://github.com/marceltaeumel/signals
> [9] https://github.com/marceltaeumel/animations
> [10] https://github.com/marceltaeumel/widgets

Re: Squeak Oversight Board 2015 Elections

marcel.taeumel (old)
Sure. The source code can be found here:

http://www.hpi.uni-potsdam.de/hirschfeld/squeaksource/swe07-team08.html

Best,
Marcel