Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

12

Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

It's that time again.  Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders!  Can you believe it's been a year already?

It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

Squeak wants you!

Every year we elect the SOB (Squeak Oversight Board) consisting of seven members from our community. The current board members are:

1. Bert Freudenberg

2. Tim Rowledge

3. Craig Latta

4. David T. Lewis

5. Chris Muller

6. Levente Uzonyi

7. Marcel Taeumel

For more info on the board please see:

https://squeakboard.wordpress.com/our-mission/

Everything about the election, including schedule and more, can be tracked here:

               http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6512

Now until Monday 6th of February 3PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!

Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the squeak-dev mailing list. Or if you nominate someone else, make sure that person really wants to run. :) I will not put anyone on the candidate list until that person makes it known on squeak-dev that he/she intends to run.

During this period, the candidates should ideally present themselves on squeak-dev, unless they have already done so, and the community can ask questions.

I encourage you to reach out to potential candidates, people that are active in the community and represent your views, and ask them to run.  Some people will not run without encouragement.  Also I know that some people wait to the last minute to run for the board to see if others will run but please consider getting this year off to a faster start and just jump right in!

Schedule:

Now until Monday 6th of February 3PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!

Monday 6th of February 2016 3PM (20.00 UTC): Candidate list is finalized.

Monday 6th of February 2016 4PM (21.00 UTC): Online election starts.

Tuesday 14th of February 2016 6PM (23.00 UTC): Online election ends.

Results will be announced immediately when the election ends.

The voting period is one week long and ballots are sent out via email.

And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)

IMPORTANT: New voters will NOT be added once the election is started.   You MUST try to get on the voter list before the 1st of February 2014 or you will NOT be able to vote.  If your Email has changed please make sure it is changed on the list of voters before the election starts.

--------------------------

If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the voter list, no worries! If you are a new Squeaker and wish to vote do ONE of the following:

      * Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker sends an email to voters (at) squeak.org giving me name and email for you, then I will add you.

      * Send an email to voters at squeak.org yourself (and CC to squeak-dev if you like) with information/arguments showing me that you are indeed serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with instructions and a link to the voting website.

If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I will closely track it - or send email to voters (at) squeak.org which points to me.

...so let's get on with it!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Worked!!

Let the election begin!

All the best,

Ron

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

Well so far we are off to a blistering start!  We have 0 candidates for 7 seats.

I would really like to encourage people to step up and run.  If you have been working with Squeak for a while and would like to help out, now is your chance!

Squeak needs you!  Please consider running for the Board!

What does a board member do?

They meet!  They organize teams.  They help out.  They support the community.

Maybe it would be a good idea for someone on the board to talk about what the board has done, what issues the board is currently dealing with, and anything that might help someone understand what needs to be done this year, and what would be nice but we didn’t have resources for.  Could one of the existing board members give us a summary of or some insight into what happened during 2016?

Personally I’m a member of the news team, the elections team, and the cryptography team leader.

On the news team we have been posting articles on news.squeak.org, tweeting out at @squeaksmalltalk, and posting to reddit and google+.  Not nearly as much as I would like.  We could use some volunteers to help!

On the elections team we have been running elections J.

On the cryptography team there has been some small amount of activity, but mostly there have been making small improvements and we split off SqueakSSL back into the main repository for squeak where it belongs.

I’ve seen some wonderful activity on squeak-vm with the new VM’s that are being created including COG, Spur and Sista!  http://www.mirandabanda.org/cogblog/about-cog/ we saw the movement of the VM code to GIT at https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm and we are hearing about some great success moving to 64 bits!  Well done!

I’m very excited about the community but to keep things moving we really need a good board so please step up and volunteer to run!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

timrowledge

> On 19-01-2017, at 9:42 AM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi All,
>
> Well so far we are off to a blistering start!  We have 0 candidates for 7 seats.

Make that 1 candidate!

What does the board do? Mostly just try to keep the infrastructure running; which means making sure the web team and box-admins are kept informed about what servers we have access to and when that gets changed (the SFC occasionally has to jump ship as sponsors come and go), making online shops for Squeak goodies (go to https://shop.spreadshirt.com/Squeak/ and buy!buy!buy!), and most importantly I guess dealing with releases and other technical issues. We meet every other week in general to chat and keep up to date.

Please consider standing and most definitely put in the effort to vote. We don’t want to have to invoke the electoral collage …

tim
Strange OpCodes: DMK: Destroy Memory-protection Key

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Jecel Assumpcao Jr
I wish to be a candidate for this year's board. A while ago I was on the
board for three years and enjoyed the experience quite a bit, so I
encourage others (specially those who have not yet been on the board) to
run too.

One of my roles in the Squeak community has been to remember the past.
That was pretty useful in my first year on the board when I was able to
help with the relicensing effort. I always keep in mind the importance
of Etoys (the reason Squeak was created in the first place).

This doesn't mean that my focus isn't in the future. I enjoy other
languages and other Smalltalks and think it is a good idea to borrow the
best ideas. Having said that, I enjoy how self contained Squeak is
compared to other systems and try to avoid external dependencies (like
external window systems, font system, translation packages, etc) but I
try to support those who want to work in that direction.

Most of my Squeak work has been in hardware, with special processors for
implementing the Squeak virtual machine. I am working on a book about
this and hope to release some fun stuff this year.

While there are several things that I think differently from the Pharo
guys, I agree fully that it is interesting to look for ways to get some
financing for stuff our community needs to get done. That is always
complicated in any open source project but is an important part of being
able to grow the community.

-- Jecel

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

Donating to Squeak is fast and easy!  Go to http://squeak.org and press the donate button on the upper right!

Donations Are Usually Tax-Deductible!
Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization incorporated in New York, and donations made to it are fully tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.

Please consider giving a donation!  It is a great cause and a wonderful way to support the community!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Bert Freudenberg
On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 8:56 PM, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

Donating to Squeak is fast and easy!  Go to http://squeak.org and press the donate button on the upper right!

Donations Are Usually Tax-Deductible!
Software Freedom Conservancy, Inc. is a 501(c)(3) organization incorporated in New York, and donations made to it are fully tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.

Please consider giving a donation!  It is a great cause and a wonderful way to support the community!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Also, you may consider supporting the Software Freedom Conservancy directly.
Until January 22nd (the day after tomorrow) your donation will count double:

These donations won't be earmarked for Squeak specifically, but benefit all projects, including Squeak.

Also, I'll run again, and yay to Jecel :)

Everybody: It's fun being on the board, and not really much work, thanks to the SFC folks who are doing the administrative stuff. So please consider running yourself, or nudge and encourage someone you think should be on the board.

- Bert -

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

We have 3 nominees for 7 positions on the Squeak Oversight Board.

Tim Rowledge

Jecel Assumpcao Jr.

Bert Freudenberg

Thank you for stepping up to announce early!

Now it’s your turn.  If you can’t run encourage someone you know to run!

2017 is going to be a great year for Squeak and Smalltalk!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

financing

Simon Michael
On 1/19/17 12:23 PM, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. wrote:
> While there are several things that I think differently from the Pharo
> guys, I agree fully that it is interesting to look for ways to get some
> financing for stuff our community needs to get done. That is always
> complicated in any open source project but is an important part of being
> able to grow the community.
Hey Squeak friends! Long time no post.

Regarding the above, I can recommend http://opencollective.com as a good
way to reduce friction in getting money in and out, attract donors, and
look hip.

Best,
-Simon

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

It is the weekend so I don’t expect a lot of progress but we only have 3 candidates for 7 positions.  Please consider running for the Squeak Oversight Board or encourage people you know to run.  We have a lot of terrific people!

If you are wondering about how to get registered to vote see: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6512

Looking forward to a great year!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Jan 18, 2017 at 09:07:50PM -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It's that time again.  Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders!
> Can you believe it's been a year already?
>
> It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

I am running for the Squeak Oversight Board this year.

I am a long time member of the Squeak community, and a current member of
the board. As a strictly non-commercial participant in Squeak, I also have
a background in technology management and corporate IT. For nearly two
decades, I have been able to look to Squeak for both inspiration and learning.

Quite a few things have changed in the years since Squeak first emerged as
the free and open source Smalltalk system that we know today. What has
never changed, and is perhaps more important now than ever, are the core values
of a human-focused system that can be understood, adapted, and used by a
curious individual. That person might be a young child, a professional
technology professional, a researcher, a creative artist, a university student,
or just a hobby programmer like me.

I am looking forward to the next 20 years, and I would be happy and honored
to be a part of the board in 2017.

Dave

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

I’m happy to announce that we have 4 candidates for 7 Squeak Oversight Board seats!

Tim Rowledge

Jecel Assumpcao Jr.

Bert Freudenberg

David T. Lewis

Thank you for volunteering to run!!

We still need more candidates.  Please consider running for the Board.  If you have run before but were not elected, or if you were a previous board member maybe you will consider running again?

We really would like to have more than 7 candidates!

Talk to your friends and get them to run!  Women are born leaders!  How about encouraging our female squeak members to step up!

We are off to a good start.  There are 2 weeks left before voting starts.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Stéphane Rollandin
> Quite a few things have changed in the years since Squeak first emerged as
> the free and open source Smalltalk system that we know today. What has
> never changed, and is perhaps more important now than ever, are the core values
> of a human-focused system that can be understood, adapted, and used by a
> curious individual. That person might be a young child, a professional
> technology professional, a researcher, a creative artist, a university student,
> or just a hobby programmer like me.

Well put. This is indeed essential IMO.

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Chris Muller-3
> of a human-focused system that can be understood, adapted, and used by a
> curious individual....

I hope this expresses your sentiment equally:

  "... of a human-focused system that can be used, adapted, and
understood by a curious individual...."

On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 05:13:24PM -0600, Chris Muller wrote:
> > of a human-focused system that can be understood, adapted, and used by a
> > curious individual....
>
> I hope this expresses your sentiment equally:
>
>   "... of a human-focused system that can be used, adapted, and
> understood by a curious individual...."

Hi Chris,

I would not object to your wording at all, but it terms of emphasis that is
not my position. One of the things that I love about Squeak is that there is
no difference between a "user" and a "developer". If people think of me now
as a developer in the Squeak community, then I offer that as evidence :-)

Dave

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

We have 4 candidates for 7 Squeak Oversight Board seats.  We need more.  Please consider running!

Current Candidates:

Tim Rowledge

Jecel Assumpcao Jr.

Bert Freudenberg

David T. Lewis

Thank you for volunteering to run!!

We really would like to have more than 7 candidates!  Now it is your turn to step into the race!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

I know it seems like forever but we only have 10 days left to fill the ballot!  Right now we have 4 candidates for 7 seats!

I know you can do it!  It is your turn!  Please consider running for the board!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

I will run again. :-)

Best,
Marcel

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Hi All,

With only 7 days left we have only 5 candidates for 7 board seats.

Tim Rowledge

Jecel Assumpcao Jr.

Bert Freudenberg

David T. Lewis

Marcel Taeumel

Please consider running for the board!  Time is running out.  As a reminder if we do not have 7 candidates we will elect the largest odd number of board members.  We will still have an election to ensure that everyone beats “None of the Below”.  We are only two away.  It would be great to get more than 7 candidates!!  I know we can do it!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2017

Ron Teitelbaum

Hello … hello?  Is this thing on?

I know you are there I can hear you breathing.

Do we have any more candidates?  The deadline is approaching: Monday 6th of February 3PM (20.00 UTC)

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum