Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can you believe it's been a year already?

It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

Squeak wants you!

Every year we elect the SOB (Squeak Oversight Board) consisting of seven members from our community. The current board members are:

1. Bert Freudenberg
2. Eliot Miranda
3. Tim Rowledge
4. David T. Lewis
5. Marcel Taeumel
6. Craig Latta
7. Nicolas Cellier

For more info on the board please see:

Everything about the election, including schedule and more, can be tracked
here:
               http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6612

Now until Monday 21nd of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!

Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the squeak-dev mailing list. Or if you nominate someone else, make sure that person really wants to run. :) I will not put anyone on the candidate list until that person makes it known on squeak-dev that he/she intends to run.

During this period, the candidates should ideally present themselves on squeak-dev, unless they have already done so, and the community can ask questions.

I encourage you to reach out to potential candidates, people that are active in the community and represent your views, and ask them to run. Some people will not run without encouragement.  Also, I know that some people wait to the last minute to run for the board to see if others will run but please consider getting this year off to a faster start and just jump right in!

Schedule:

Now until Monday 21nd of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!
Monday 21nd of January 2019 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Candidate list is finalized.
Monday 21nd of January 2019 4 PM (21.00 UTC): Online election starts.
Tuesday 5th of February 2019 4 PM (23.00 UTC): Online election ends.
Results will be announced immediately when the election ends.
The voting period is two week long and ballots are sent out via email.

And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)

IMPORTANT: New voters will NOT be added once the election is started. You MUST try to get on the voter list before the 21st of January 2019 or you will NOT be able to vote. If your Email has changed please try to make sure it is changed on the list of voters before the election starts.

--------------------------

If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the voter list, no worries! If you are a new Squeaker and wish to vote you should do ONE of the following:

      * Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker sends an email to voters (at) squeak.org giving me a name and email for you, then I will add you.

      * Send an email to voters at squeak.org yourself (and CC to squeak-dev if you like) with information/arguments showing me that you are indeed serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with instructions and a link to the voting website.

If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I will closely track it - or send email to voters (at) squeak.org which points to me.

...so let's get on with it!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

Craig Latta

Hi all--

     I'd like to serve on the Squeak Oversight Board in 2019. With you
and my fellow board members, I intend to continue...

-    ...representing Squeak at conferences, including ESUG and the
     International Conference on Live Coding[1].

-    ...maintaining the agenda and notes at the board meetings. I
     anticipate having the time to make posts to the board blog this
     term.

-    ...developing symbiosis between the Squeak, JavaScript, and Web
     platform communities through my work with Caffeine[2] and
     SqueakJS[3].

     I would be honored to have your vote.

     cheers!

     Craig

--

[1] http://iclc.livecodenetwork.org/2019/ingles.html
[2] https://caffeine.js.org

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

Thank you Craig for jumping right in!  I would encourage everyone else to follow Craig's lead.  I know some people like to wait but the more candidates the better.

The lack of candidates shouldn't be an incentive for people to run and a large number of candidates shouldn't be a reason for you to decide against volunteering to run!  We have had some excellent people run and not be elected that would have been terrific members of the board!  You show your commitment to Squeak just by running!  For those of you that say you don't have the time or are not sure what you would have to do, we have had some excellent answers in the past.  There is no requirement or specific demands and the board decides when and how it will meet.  Most, if not all, meetings are electronic so the demands on your time are very low!  Plus the members are all terrific people you will enjoy working with!

Jump on in and add your name to the candidate list!

Thanks!

Ron Teitelbaum

On Thu, Jan 10, 2019 at 2:49 AM Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there.

I would like to continue serving on the Squeak Oversight Board in 2019, too.  My main interests encompass user interaction (Morphic), code modularity (readability/extensibility), backwards compatibility (Etoys), and programming/productivity tools.

During the past years, it has been a healthy mix of promising ideas, enlightening discussions, and challenging viewpoints. I do value such programming experiences as a great addition to my daily life. Squeak's community is great! Thank you. :-)

Let us continue shaping Squeak for many opportunities to come! It is an intriguing programming system with its liveness promoting exploratory working habits. What a time to be a "programmer". ;-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 10.01.2019 20:38:30 schrieb Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Happy weekend to everyone!  We have 3 candidates for 7 board positions.

(in the order of announcement)

Craig Latta
Tim Rowledge
Marcel Taeumel

No need to wait to announce you are running.  Feel free to announce your candidacy on the weekend!

Over the years we have had a few questions about running.  One theme, I'm not a programmer, has come up a few times.  You do not need to be a programmer to join the Oversight Board. Dedicated users of Squeak have a lot to contribute!  If you have been on the fence about running for the board, are not a programmer, but find you are participating a lot in discussions on Squeak-dev maybe this year is your year to run!

Now is also your time to get on the list to vote.  If you have been lurking on Squeak-dev and not posting but you follow what is going on please send me a note and let me know you want to vote. Voting is one way for you to contribute to your community!  Please take the time to contribute to Squeak by helping to shape our future!

Ok now back to the weekend!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Fri, Jan 11, 2019 at 3:08 AM Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Bert Freudenberg
Thanks for the reminder Ron!

Please step up! It takes little more than chatting for an hour twice a month to serve this great community.

Also, please encourage others! Send them a private email (or public too, I guess) if you would like to see someone on the Oversight Board.

And lastly, I'd be honored to serve again this year.

- Bert -

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 11:42 AM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you everyone for stepping up early!

We have 4 candidates for 7 board seats.

Craig Latta
Tim Rowledge
Marcel Taeumel
Bert Freudenberg

and 7 days left before voting starts.  Please encourage people you know to run for the board!  Send them an email, encourage them to run.  Consider running yourself.  If you have been an active member of the Squeak community or one of our sister communities please consider running!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 6:15 PM Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

David T. Lewis
On Wed, Jan 09, 2019 at 11:23:59AM -0500, Ron Teitelbaum wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can
> you believe it's been a year already?
>
> It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!
>
> Squeak wants you!

I am running for a position on the Squeak Oversight Board this year.

I approach Squeak as a hobby programmer, and I am also a long time
contributor to Squeak and related packages.

I am committed to the core values of Squeak as a system that can be
understood, adapted, and used by a single curious individual, and that
is portable across computing platforms and over time. My bias is toward
careful engineering in support of aggressive innovation, and I see
Squeak as promoting a uniquely successful balance of these goals.

I have no commercial interest in Squeak, and I have a strong personal
interest to its ongoing success. I also view Squeak as central to a
broader ecosystem, including OpenSmalltalk-vm, Cuis, Pharo, and the
commercial Smalltalk systems.

Thanks,
Dave

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

Ben Coman
On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 00:24, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi All,

It's that time again.

After years of watching, this year I signed up to vote for the first time!
A personal development program I'm involved in made me realize I've been keeping myself on the sidelines
since the election normally takes care of itself - but my complacency disconnects me from my community.

So I signed up. I would encourage anyone else lurking to also do so.  It really didn't hurt.

And then someone encouraged me to nominate.

My first thought was "no, I'm more involved with Pharo".
Then after consideration I realized who I am is someone concerned with the continuation of Squeak
and with a foot in both camps I may have something of value to offer the Squeak community.

While the two dialects are diverging significantly at the UI level, my interests lie
at the lower levels where there doesn't "necessarily" need to a lot of differences.
Notwithstanding opposing design decisions, the natural enemy is isolation.

So should the Squeak community see value in it, I would:
      * quantify the low level Squeak/Pharo differences referenced against Pharo's headless build
      * promote low level homogenization of dialects (and I'll be glad to learn something new from any dissent around design decisions)
      * promote a headless version of Squeak to run on the same minheadless VM that Pharo is targetting
      * work to reduce dialect specific IFDEFS in the vm code

I offer my candidacy for the 2019 Squeak Oversight Board on that platform.
If you see the possibility of that benefiting Squeak, please let your opinion
be known by voting, particularly if you've not voted before.

cheers -ben

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

David T. Lewis
Ben,

That's great, thank you for stepping forward :-)

Dave

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 11:23:37PM +0800, Ben Coman wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 at 00:24, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > It's that time again.
> >

> After years of watching, this year I signed up to vote for the first time!
> A personal development program I'm involved in made me realize I've been
> keeping myself on the sidelines
> since the election normally takes care of itself - but my complacency
> disconnects me from my community.
>
> So I signed up. I would encourage anyone else lurking to also do so.  It
> really didn't hurt.
>

> And then someone encouraged me to nominate.
>
> My first thought was "no, I'm more involved with Pharo".
> Then after consideration I realized who I am is someone concerned with the
> continuation of Squeak
> and with a foot in both camps I may have something of value to offer the
> Squeak community.
>
> While the two dialects are diverging significantly at the UI level, my
> interests lie
> at the lower levels where there doesn't "necessarily" need to a lot of
> differences.
> Notwithstanding opposing design decisions, the natural enemy is isolation.
>
> So should the Squeak community see value in it, I would:
>       * quantify the low level Squeak/Pharo differences referenced against
> Pharo's headless build
>       * promote low level homogenization of dialects (and I'll be glad to
> learn something new from any dissent around design decisions)
>       * promote a headless version of Squeak to run on the same minheadless
> VM that Pharo is targetting
>       * work to reduce dialect specific IFDEFS in the vm code
>
> I offer my candidacy for the 2019 Squeak Oversight Board on that platform.
> If you see the possibility of that benefiting Squeak, please let your
> opinion
> be known by voting, particularly if you've not voted before.
>
> cheers -ben

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2019

Ron Teitelbaum
Hello All,

Another reminder that we are running out of time.  If you are considering stepping up and running for the Squeak Oversight Board now is the time.  Please announce your candidacy now.  Voting will start next week!  We have 6 candidates for 7 board seats.

Craig Latta
Tim Rowledge
Marcel Taeumel
Bert Freudenberg
David T. Lewis
Ben Coman

As a reminder when you vote you will select the candidates by placing them the order you want them ranking them first to last and placing None of the below above candidates you don't want to see elected.  None of the below has never been elected and this is a great group of candidates so I don't expect that to be an issue.  If we don't get 7 elected board members we will seat the highest odd number which means that if we stay with 6 candidates only 5 will get elected.

Please reach out to people you would like to see on the Board and get them to run.

Thanks!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 12:08 PM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
HI all,

Thank you all for stepping up to run for the board.

We now have 6 candidates for 7 board seats.   (in the order of announcement)

Craig Latta
Tim Rowledge
Marcel Taeumel
Bert Freudenberg
David T. Lewis
Ben Coman

Squeak still needs you.  You can help by running for the board or by getting someone you know that is active in the Squeak community to run!  Now is the time to reach out and get others to run!

Don't forget to vote!  The ballots will be coming out next week.  When you see the ballot please vote right away!  Don't leave it for later.  You will have 2 weeks to vote so that we don't miss anyone but please look for the email and vote as quickly as possible.  If you are not on the voter list now is the time to register.  Let me know and I'll add you to the list.  Also if you have a new email address let me know so we can fix it before voting starts.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Tue, Jan 15, 2019 at 10:23 AM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

timrowledge
Come along folks, more candidates!

tim
Breakthrough: It finally booted on the first try.