Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi All,

It's that time again. Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can you believe it's been a year already?

It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

Squeak wants you!

Every year we elect the SOB (Squeak Oversight Board) consisting of seven members from our community. The current board members are:

1. Bert Freudenberg
2. Craig Latta
3. Tim Rowledge
4. David T. Lewis
5. Marcel Taeumel
6. Chris Muller
7. Ben Coman For more info on the board please see: https://squeakboard.wordpress.com/our-mission/ Everything about the election, including schedule and more, can be tracked here: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6636 Now until Monday 20th of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning! Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the squeak-dev mailing list. Or if you nominate someone else, make sure that person really wants to run. :) I will not put anyone on the candidate list until that person makes it known on squeak-dev that he/she intends to run. During this period, the candidates should ideally present themselves on squeak-dev, unless they have already done so, and the community can ask questions. I encourage you to reach out to potential candidates, people that are active in the community and represent your views, and ask them to run. Some people will not run without encouragement. Also, I know that some people wait to the last minute to run for the board to see if others will run but please consider getting this year off to a faster start and just jump right in!

The schedule and process are as follows:
Now until Monday 20th of January 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!
Monday 20th of January 2020 3 PM (20.00 UTC): Candidate list is finalized.
Monday 20th of January 2020 4 PM (21.00 UTC): Online election starts.
Tuesday 4th of February 2020 4 PM (23.00 UTC): Online election ends.
Results will be announced immediately after the election ends.

The voting period is two week long and ballots are sent out via email.

And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)

IMPORTANT: New voters will NOT be added once the election is started. You MUST try to get on the voter list before the 20st of January 2020 or you will NOT be able to vote. If your Email has changed please try to make sure it is changed on the list of voters before the election starts.

--------------------------

If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the voter list, no worries! If you are a new Squeaker and wish to vote you should do ONE of the following:

      * Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker sends an email to voters (at) squeak.org giving me a name and email for you, then I will add you.

      * Send an email to voters at squeak.org yourself (and CC to squeak-dev if you like) with information/arguments showing me that you are indeed serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with instructions and a link to the voting website.

If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I will closely track it - or send email to voters (at) squeak.org which points to me.

...so let's get on with it!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Ron Teitelbaum
Hello Everyone!

Hope everyone is having a great weekend!

We are off to a great start.  One week down and one more to go.  So far we have 4 candidates for 7 board seats.

In the order they announced:

Marcel Taeumel
David T. Lewis
Tim Rowledge
Bert Freudenberg

We could use at least THREE more candidates!  Hello hello? Is this thing on? I can hear you breathing!

If you are going to run this year, please announce soon!  If you are not going to run please talk to people you know that you think would make a good board member and ask them to run!  It's always nice to have more than 7 candidates!

Also if your email has changed please let me know!  We want to get as many people voting as possible! If you want to vote this year I encourage you to let me know so I can get you on the voters list.  Be sure to get to know the candidates and ask them questions!

Thank you for your participation in this year's election!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 12:14 PM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thank you again for everyone's participation in this years Squeak Oversight Board election.  Edgar thank you for helping encourage people to participate!  Feel free to keep that up!

We currently have 5 candidates for 7 board seats.  In the order they announced:

Marcel Taeumel
David T. Lewis
Tim Rowledge
Bert Freudenberg
Craig Latta

Time is running out to announce your candidacy! Please announce soon!  There are only 5 days left.  You can follow along by visiting this webpage: http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6636

I will not be available Saturday through Monday morning. If you wait to announce this weekend and I don't update the webpage don't panic.  I'll make sure to include you before the ballots go out on Monday.  It would be better to announce between now and Friday!

Also if your email has changed or you want to get on the voters list please let me know!  If you know someone that you would like to see on the board please reach out to them and ask them to run!

Thank you!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 9:21 AM Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all--

     I'd like to serve on the Squeak Oversight Board in 2020 (wow, it
really does feel like Back to the Future now ;). I'm interested in
looking back, as we sometimes do, to plan for the 25th anniversary of
Squeak in 2021.

     I've also been on a wild ride forward and to the side, with Bert's
SqueakJS VM and the Caffeine project. They've brought me into contact
with many interesting Smalltalk, JavaScript, and livecoding-adjacent
technologies and communities. I want to continue hatching strange ideas
about them with my fellow board members, and with you.

     Once hatched, those ideas want to grow in our collaborative spaces.
I've been helping with the board meeting notes for some time, but we
haven't publicized them. I'd like to know how you'd like to see them
appear on the Squeak project blog, our mailing lists, and in our live
systems. Whatever we come up with will need to be done communally (each
of us is doing many other things), but I'd like to help us restart here.

     Another technical front I've been pushing recently is modularity
and team development. I'd like to get some more livecoders connected
this year.

     thanks again!
     Craig

***

[|] https://thiscontext.com
[|] https://caffeine.js.org
[|] https://toplap.org

--
Craig Latta
Black Page Digital

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2020

Chris Muller-3
2020 is going to be another big year of Squeak work for me.  Most-pressing, after the 5.3 release, is to finish the GraphQL engine.  This project is a dependency for several sub projects involving the gradual modernization of Squeak's API services.  The first pilot is intended to provide an API schema for SqueakMap, with a vision of allowing clients to provide an "App Store" experience that users expect.

I recognize the development community's interest in git and github, and glad we have some tools to help us use them.  However, there's a definite "partition" between Squeak's projects based on how / where they're hosted.  SqueakMap can help with this for the consumption use-case, but I'd like to explore deploying a development server that hosts Git's v4 Schema, but **backed by Monticello**.  Together with GitBrowser, we can start to blur the lines between MC and git, help unify how we work with projects regardless where they're hosted.  Some big think and collaboration will be needed, so I'll be asking you for ideas and help.

The above notwithstanding, my priority and focus remains with Squeak's external users and uses over its internal ones.  As fun-loving engineers and computer scientsists, we can build cool, internal whiz-bang stuff in and for Squeak all day long to entertain ourselves, but I believe its when and where Squeak interacts with someone or some thing in the outside world that all the work we've done becomes meaningful.  Where and how we design these interactions to occur within the IDE and applications determines Squeak's effectiveness with the real-world uses.

With all this and more unfinished business, I'd like to re-up for the Squeak board again.  Having the ability to communicate verbally with the core members at the meetings is essential.

Thanks for your support of Squeak!

 - Chris

On Mon, Jan 6, 2020 at 11:15 AM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Chris and John.

It looks like our pipermail has stopped working it's not recording new emails.  Does anyone know how to fix that?

Thanks!

Ron Teitelbaum

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 7:01 PM Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

It looks like we have 7 candidates for 7 board seats.  Well done!  I don't want this to stop anyone from running.  It's always better to have more candidates.  If you have been thinking about running why not do it this year!  Squeak still needs you.  Running and not getting elected is still a very big deal! It shows your commitment and willingness to serve and help improve our community!.

In the order announced:

Marcel Taeumel
David T. Lewis
Tim Rowledge
Bert Freudenberg
Craig Latta
John-Reed Maffeo
Chris Muller

Thank you everyone for running!!!

Again please let me know if your email has changed or if you want to vote in the upcoming election!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum