Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

12

Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

Patrick R.
Hi All,

It's that time again (although with a new person telling you this).
Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can you believe
it's been over a year already?

It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!

Squeak wants you!

Every year we elect the SOB (Squeak Oversight Board) consisting of
seven members from our community. The current board members are:
1. Vanessa Freudenberg
2. Tim Rowledge
3. Marcel Taeumel
4. Craig Latta
5. David T. Lewis
6. Chris Muller
7. John-Reed Maffeo

For more info on the board please see:
https://squeakboard.wordpress.com/our-mission/

Everything about the election, including schedule and more, can be tracked here:
               http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6656

Now until Friday 16th of April 2021, 18.00 UTC: Nominations of SOB members
and campaigning!

Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the
squeak-dev mailing list. Or if you nominate someone else, make sure
that person really wants to run. :) I will not put anyone on the
candidate list until that person makes it known on squeak-dev that
he/she intends to run.

During this period, the candidates should ideally present themselves
on squeak-dev, unless they have already done so, and the community can
ask questions.

I encourage you to reach out to potential candidates, people that are
active in the community and represent your views, and ask them to run.
Some people will not run without encouragement.  Also, I know that
some people wait to the last minute to run for the board to see if
others will run but please consider getting this year off to a faster
start and just jump right in!

The schedule and process are as follows:

Now until Friday 16th of April 2021, 18.00 UTC: Nominations of SOB members and campaigning!
Friday 16th of April 2021, 18.00 UTC: Candidate list is finalized.
Friday 16th of April 2021, 19.00 UTC: Online election starts.
Friday 30th of April 2021, 19.00 UTC: Online election ends.
Results will be announced immediately after the election ends.

The voting period is two week long and ballots are sent out via email.

And how do you end up on the voter list? See below. :)

IMPORTANT: New voters will NOT be added once the election is started.
You MUST try to get on the voter list before the 16th of April 2021
or you will NOT be able to vote. If your Email has changed please try
to make sure it is changed on the list of voters before the election
starts.

--------------------------

If you were invited to vote last year you are already on the voter
list, no worries! If you are a new Squeaker and wish to vote you
should do ONE of the following:

      * Get a "known" Squeaker to vouch for you. If a known Squeaker
sends an email to voters (at) squeak.org giving me a name and email
for you, then I will add you.

      * Send an email to voters (at) squeak.org yourself (and CC to
squeak-dev if you like) with information/arguments showing me that you
are indeed serious about voting and that you are indeed a Squeaker.

When the voting period starts all voters will receive an email with
instructions and a link to the voting website.

If there are any further questions, just reply *in this thread* and I
will closely track it - or send email to voters (at) squeak.org which
is updated and points to me.

...so let's get on with it!

All the best,
Patrick Rein

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

timrowledge

> On 2021-04-02, at 1:10 AM, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the
> squeak-dev mailing list.

Me! Me! Vote for me!

tim
How come it's 'Java One' every year? Aren't they making any progress?

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

Ron Teitelbaum
That wins for the shortest nomination email!

Ron

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021, 1:20 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2021-04-02, at 1:10 AM, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the
> squeak-dev mailing list.

Me! Me! Vote for me!

tim
How come it's 'Java One' every year? Aren't they making any progress?

jrm

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

codefrau
On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 10:21 AM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2021-04-02, at 1:10 AM, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the
> squeak-dev mailing list.

Me! Me! Vote for me!

Me too.

Vanessa

👀

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 3:35 PM Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
That wins for the shortest nomination email!

Ron

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021, 1:20 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2021-04-02, at 1:10 AM, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the
> squeak-dev mailing list.

Me! Me! Vote for me!

tim
How come it's 'Java One' every year? Aren't they making any progress?

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

Ron Teitelbaum
Hahahah!  Ok ok, new winner!

Ron

On Sat, Apr 3, 2021 at 3:11 PM Vanessa Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 10:21 AM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2021-04-02, at 1:10 AM, Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Candidates should nominate themselves and start their campaign on the
> squeak-dev mailing list.

Me! Me! Vote for me!

Me too.

Vanessa

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

Craig Latta

Hi all--

      Please vote for me for the Squeak Oversight Board in 2021.

      I've been organizing the board meetings for a few years now, and
I'm coordinating a 25th anniversary celebration for Squeak in September.
I'm also recording an anniversary podcast interview series; please let
me know if you'd like to be part of that.

      I'm very excited about Squeak these days! I'm writing a webapp
with SqueakJS[1], Croquet[2], and Caffeine[3] at beatshifting.org,
enabling musicians to play together to a distributed beat. I'm also
using Squeak as the center of my music production studio, controlling
lots of sound, video, and MIDI gear. My experiments in virtual reality
continue as well, with mashups of Caffeine and A-Frame on the Oculus
Quest headset.

      I'd like to continue scheming about the future of Squeak with the
board, and expanding our realtime community activity. In January, Dan
Ingalls, Vanessa Freudenberg and I started the California Smalltalkers
meetup group, with group video gatherings. It's been going very well,
and it has inspired me to use the video technology for Squeak gatherings
also. I'd like to have an online Squeakers conference in September, and
regular gatherings on second and fourth Wednesdays leading up to it.
Join us on squeak.slack.org to find out more.

      Hm, this won't be the shortest candidacy message. :)

      thanks!
      Craig

[1] https://squeak.js.org
[2] https://croquet.io
[3] https://caffeine.js.org

--
Craig Latta  ::  research computer scientist
Black Page Digital  ::  Berkeley, California

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

marcel.taeumel
Hi Patrick, hi Ron, hi all! :-)

I would like to continue serving on the Squeak Oversight Board in 2021!

Looking back on 2020, there were some noteworthy events where I was able to contribute a little something to Squeak's ecosystem and its community.

First, my role as a shepherd for inbox contributions got more serious and fun, nonetheless due to Christoph's (ct) numerous ideas:

In the beginning of 2020, I helped Hannes (hjh) getting the 5.3 release out into the wild:

There were a few events, where I thought that it would be nice to involve the Squeak community a little bit more:

A serious portion of my spring/summer time went into understanding and (hopefully) improving Squeak's FFI, keeping an eye on tool support. After the next iteration on FFI-Pools, I wrote my first bigger commentary on that spanning multiple class comments:

In general, I am interested in restructuring and cleaning up the system to improve modularity and readability:

Occasionally, crazy ideas and other projects pop up:

***

Happy Squeaking everybody! :-)

Best,
Marcel

Am 04.04.2021 20:19:04 schrieb Craig Latta <[hidden email]>:

Hi all--

Please vote for me for the Squeak Oversight Board in 2021.

I've been organizing the board meetings for a few years now, and
I'm coordinating a 25th anniversary celebration for Squeak in September.
I'm also recording an anniversary podcast interview series; please let
me know if you'd like to be part of that.

I'm very excited about Squeak these days! I'm writing a webapp
with SqueakJS[1], Croquet[2], and Caffeine[3] at beatshifting.org,
enabling musicians to play together to a distributed beat. I'm also
using Squeak as the center of my music production studio, controlling
lots of sound, video, and MIDI gear. My experiments in virtual reality
continue as well, with mashups of Caffeine and A-Frame on the Oculus
Quest headset.

I'd like to continue scheming about the future of Squeak with the
board, and expanding our realtime community activity. In January, Dan
Ingalls, Vanessa Freudenberg and I started the California Smalltalkers
meetup group, with group video gatherings. It's been going very well,
and it has inspired me to use the video technology for Squeak gatherings
also. I'd like to have an online Squeakers conference in September, and
regular gatherings on second and fourth Wednesdays leading up to it.
Join us on squeak.slack.org to find out more.

Hm, this won't be the shortest candidacy message. :)

thanks!
Craig

[1] https://squeak.js.org
[2] https://croquet.io
[3] https://caffeine.js.org

--
Craig Latta :: research computer scientist
Black Page Digital :: Berkeley, California
663137D7940BF5C0AFC :: 1349FB2ADA32C4D5314CE

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

timrowledge

> On 2021-04-06, at 3:50 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Patrick, hi Ron, hi all! :-)
>
> I would like to continue serving on the Squeak Oversight Board in 2021!

An important point here - Marcel has done a *huge* amount of good work for Squeak. Long may it continue.

tim
All computers run at the same speed...with the power off.

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

David T. Lewis
On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 08:10:25AM +0000, Rein, Patrick wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> It's that time again (although with a new person telling you this).
> Time to raise your voices and elect your leaders! Can you believe
> it's been over a year already?
>
> It's a time for you to stand up, help your community and volunteer to serve!
>
> Squeak wants you!

I am running for the Squeak Oversight Board again this year.

I am a hobby programmer and long-time participant in the Squeak community.
I have contriibuted to some of the technical aspects of Squeak, but I am
most enthusiatic about using Squeak for learning and exploration, and for
music, arts, and thought experiments.

Although my personal focus is mainly on Squeak as a tool for individual
use, I am also committed to ensuring that Squeak continues to be a preferred
medium for advanced virtual machine development, computer science, and
software development.

I expect some fundamental challenges in the coming years:

We will be challenged to evolve Squeak to be useful and relevant in an
internet-based world of smart devices and new ways of human interaction
with those devices.

We need to manage the tension between simplicity and adding functionality.
To me, it is essential to keep things simple and clean enough that a single
person can understand and explore any and all parts of the system. But we
also need to enhance and evolve the system. Balancing these goals is not
easy, but it is the job of the Squeak board to make it happen.

I am an enthusiastic user of git, and an extremely cautious advocate of
finding a simple and effective way to use it to support our Monticello
tools in the image. But see above concerning the tension between simplicity
and function, whatever we do needs to be easy to understand and explore
for a wide range of Squeak users.

Finally, we are a small community, and we need to find ways to make the
system and the community supportive of the creative work of evolving the
system and the virtual machine that supports it. I have no easy solutions
here, but this is critical for the well-being of both Squeak and of the
people who are contributing to it.

Please vote for me, and please also consider running for the board yourself
if you have not yet done so. We need people of diverse backgrounds who have
an interest in the progress of Squeak!

Dave

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

Chris Muller-3
Hi all,

Just FYI, I'm allocating 100% of my Squeak-energy this year to Magma 2 as well as various image explorations to attempt to expose the class library in various ways via GraphQL schemas.  Some of this work would likely be mutually distracting if I were immersed in core Squeak development.  For example, exploring whether Method Pragmas can be loadable from their own "extension" package, *on top* of existing methods..

Anyway, I do hope someone will consider running for 2021 in my stead.  Anyone who does will get my vote.  :)

 - Chris

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 3:10 AM Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hello everyone out there!

To keep the tradition going, you hereby receive the annual campaigning reminder!

We are really off to a great start! So far we have 5 candidates for 7 board seats.

In the order they announced:

Tim Rowledge
Vanessa Freudenberg
Craig Latta
Marcel Taeumel
David T. Lewis

However, we could use at least TWO more candidates!

If you are going to run this year, please announce soon! If you are not
going to run please talk to people you know that you think would make a
good board member and ask them to run!  It's always nice to have more than
7 candidates!

Also if your email has changed please let me know!  We want to get as many
people voting as possible! If you want to vote this year I encourage you to
let me know so I can get you on the voters list.  Be sure to get to know
the candidates and ask them questions!

Thank you for your participation in this year's election!

All the best,
Patrick

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 3:10 AM Rein, Patrick <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
[...]

sends an email to voters (at) squeak.org<http://squeak.org> giving me a name and email
for you, then I will add you.

      * Send an email to voters (at) squeak.org<http://squeak.org> yourself (and CC to

will closely track it - or send email to voters (at) squeak.org<http://squeak.org> which
is updated and points to me.

...so let's get on with it!

All the best,
Patrick Rein

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

Tony Garnock-Jones-5
Hi everyone,

I think I'd like to run for the board this year.

I'm particularly interested in topics such as

  - actors and concurrency
  - namespacing and isolation
  - virtualization and securable image-to-image communication
  - data serialization formats (like JSON etc)
  - DSLs

but recently I've also been working on making Squeak the heart of a
prototype cellphone platform, involving the above but also supporting
new input devices (e.g. multitouch touchscreen on Linux) and dealing
with process management, Linux kernel APIs etc.

Basically, I'm interested in the "operating system" side of Smalltalk.
If I'm elected, I'd like to put my energy toward that general area.
However, I've also got quite a bit of experience in infrastructure
setup, care, and feeding, so I can contribute there also.

Tony

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

marcel.taeumel
Hi Tony!

This is great! ^__^ Thank you.

Best,
Marcel

Am 15.04.2021 10:11:52 schrieb Tony Garnock-Jones <[hidden email]>:

[...]

Thanks, Patrick, for taking over the election this year.  Since Tony is running, I've decided to renew my candidacy afterall.

All, vote for me ahead of "None Of The Below" for the board to maintain the required odd number of members without needing to drop to 5 candidates.

 - Chris

On Thu, Apr 15, 2021 at 3:11 AM Tony Garnock-Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

As a general point I'd like to urge some of the younger community members to stand for the board. We really need to make sure it doesn't become an old fogey club.

Remember, this isn't some "wizards of code" thing where we meet to do Things Mankind Is Not Meant To Know - the board is mostly responsible for the administrivia of keeping the infrastructure running so we can run the community, along with caring for the integrity of the trunk and releases. If you're interested, possessed of a good organising memory and a talent for persuading people to Get On With It, please stand!

tim
Gargoyle (n.), olive-flavored mouthwash.

jrm

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

jrm
In the interest of having a surfit of candidates I am putting myself  (John-Reed Maffeo) up for re-election to the board.

I am a hobby  programmer who got interested in Squeak ~20 years ago when I was trying to decide which language I wanted to use to develop an application for personal use which required interfacing with a  complex data structure. I tried to get traction with a variety of languages including c, fortran, pascal, and others. They all seemed to be difficult to use and code manage and limited to a single OS for implementation. I stumbled on Squeak and gave it a try and I started being productive in just a few weeks. (I had seen a marketing presentation of Smalltalk and realized how powerful it was when one of the suits asked it it could XYZ and the answer was no not right now; after the next coffee break the presenter started of with "By the way, Smalltalk can now do XYZ")

Being on the board has been very rewarding to me, and though my contributions have been meger, I would like to continue because I bring a different perspective to the board as a user rather than a developer.

I encourage anyone who is interested in Squeak to consider becoming a board member. It is a good way to learn more about Squeak as a project, and help keep development moving forward.

John-Reed Maffeo [ | ]

[...]

I want to add emphasis to a few words from John-Reed

> On 2021-04-23, at 10:22 AM, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I encourage anyone who is interested in Squeak to consider becoming a board member. It is a good way to learn more about Squeak as a project, and help keep development moving forward.

Please don't think there is some need to be a Soopa-Uber-Hacker of Squeak in order to be a valuable Board member. If you love Squeak, if you have some time and effort you can spare to help keep the community going, then you'd be an asset.

tim
Oxymorons: Resident alien

Re: Squeak Oversight Board Election 2021

Ron Teitelbaum
Wow talk about waiting till the last minute.  From my calculator you had 29 minutes left to announce your candidacy.  Well as I write this there is still 20 minutes left!

All the best,

Ron