Squeak Oversight Board meeting - 7/16/12

Squeak Oversight Board meeting - 7/16/12

Chris Cunnington

Board members present: Colin Putney, Craig Latta, Chris Muller, Levente Uzonyi, Chris Cunnington, and, special guest Ken Causey

- The topic of the meeting was moving to a new server

- There are several offers for free hosting available to Squeak

- Squeak is accepting the offer from Softlayer [1]. It is also looking at an offer related to the Software Freedom Conservancy at Gandi. [2]

- The Board realized that the moving process is not an all-or-nothing proposition. Pieces can be moved over time. Perhaps even on different servers. So, the Softlayer offer will now be accepted and closed.

- The difference between a VPS and a dedicated box was debated with Ken having strong feelings in favor of a dedicated box, as you knew better what your resources were

- Ken is willing to help make the transition to a new server given a window of ninety days, so he can contribute, while not interfering with his other commitments

- One of the early pieces to be moved will be the www.squeak.org image, which will be a Seaside image. The old design of www.squeak.org will be retired in favor of a very small website emphasizing the download of Squeak. The site will then grow into a fuller and more complete resource over time

- A major consideration in the move is the mailing lists run by the GNU Mailman [3] application. Other parts of the move are the images, FTP archive, and Mantis SQL database

- Details of the moving process will be recorded to provide documentation to assist with upkeep and any future move

[1] http://www.softlayer.com

[2] http://www.gandi.net

[3] http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/index.html

Softlayer spamming? Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board meeting - 7/16/12

Tom Rushworth-2
On 12/07/17 06:33, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> Board members present: Colin Putney, Craig Latta, Chris Muller, Levente
> Uzonyi, Chris Cunnington, and, special guest Ken Causey

[snip]
> - Squeak is accepting the offer from Softlayer [1]. It is also looking
> at an offer related to the Software Freedom Conservancy at Gandi. [2]
[snip]

I just got spam that purports to be from Softlayer with the subject:
   "FREE RAM, HDD, and Bandwidth for a limited time only."

If others get it too, I would suggest that we not support a company that
uses spam as a marketing technique.  Here are some of the original
headers, the rest are available if anyone wants them:

|Subject: FREE RAM, HDD, and Bandwidth for a limited time only.
|Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 04:28:03 -0500
|To: [hidden email]
|From: "SoftLayer" <[hidden email]>

Regards,

Tom Rushworth

Re: Softlayer spamming? Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak Oversight Board meeting - 7/16/12

Chris Muller-3
Thanks for letting us know -- I agree.  The Softlayer avenue is
something that Chris Cunnington and Colin are researching.  While
everyone seems open to the idea so far we haven't actually voted yet
for putting "Squeak c/o SFC" on the Softlayer agreement.  As Chris C.
mentioned there are at least a couple of options and we want to
understand the benefits as well as all the "costs" of each option.