Squeak PDFTalk?

timrowledge
Has anyone done, considered, noticed, used or otherwise seen any mention oaf a port of Christian Haider's PDFTalk (also known by at least one other name over the years - PDF4Smalltalk - and I think also 'PDF Development') ?

tim
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Re: Squeak PDFTalk?

Ben Coman
On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 06:06, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
Has anyone done, considered, noticed, used or otherwise seen any mention oaf a port of Christian Haider's PDFTalk (also known by at least one other name over the years - PDF4Smalltalk - and I think also 'PDF Development') ?

I've been aware of it for a few years. The main platform is VisualWorks, and it has one port to Gemstone.
Christian expressed an interest in porting to Pharo, but I guess its a busy life and hasn't happened yet.
Search forum.world.st for history.

btw, other PDF options:

Artefact is in active use...

I had a POC dabble at a FFI interface to Chrome's engine PDFium...

cheers -ben

Re: Squeak PDFTalk?

timrowledge

> On 2019-10-01, at 3:19 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 06:06, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Has anyone done, considered, noticed, used or otherwise seen any mention oaf a port of Christian Haider's PDFTalk (also known by at least one other name over the years - PDF4Smalltalk - and I think also 'PDF Development') ?
>
> I've been aware of it for a few years. The main platform is VisualWorks, and it has one port to Gemstone.
> Christian expressed an interest in porting to Pharo, but I guess its a busy life and hasn't happened yet.
> Search forum.world.st for history.

Pity - it's pretty good in VW. Amazingly fast.

> Artefact is in active use...
> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Artefact/Artefact.html

Huh, never heard of that one that I recall.

> I had a POC dabble at a FFI interface to Chrome's engine PDFium...
> https://blog.openinworld.com/2017/11/pharo-pdf-part-1/

Good to have options!

tim
Strange OpCodes: PIC: Permute Instruction Codes

Re: Squeak PDFTalk?

Levente Uzonyi
On Tue, 1 Oct 2019, tim Rowledge wrote:

>> On 2019-10-01, at 3:19 PM, Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 06:06, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Has anyone done, considered, noticed, used or otherwise seen any mention oaf a port of Christian Haider's PDFTalk (also known by at least one other name over the years - PDF4Smalltalk - and I think also 'PDF Development') ?
>>
>> I've been aware of it for a few years. The main platform is VisualWorks, and it has one port to Gemstone.
>> Christian expressed an interest in porting to Pharo, but I guess its a busy life and hasn't happened yet.
>> Search forum.world.st for history.
>>

> Pity - it's pretty good in VW. Amazingly fast.
>

>> Artefact is in active use...
>> https://ci.inria.fr/pharo-contribution/job/EnterprisePharoBook/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/book-result/Artefact/Artefact.html
>
> Huh, never heard of that one that I recall.

I've ported it to Squeak a few years ago[1]. The way I remember, it was
okay up until you needed something fancy (e.g. to render non-ascii characters).

Levente
[1] http://leves.web.elte.hu/squeak/Artefact/