Squeak & Scratch mentions in The MagPi magazine

Squeak & Scratch mentions in The MagPi magazine

timrowledge
In this month’s MagPi magazine there is a (very) small article about the latest Pi Scratch and even a mention of Smalltalk in a review of a book on python programming.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi-issues/MagPi39.pdf
Pages 80-1 & 86.

You’ll notice that the article is a little thin on details and missing the point on several items, but whatever.

tim
Fractured Idiom:- VENI, VIDI, VICE - I came, I saw, I partied.

Re: Squeak & Scratch mentions in The MagPi magazine

John McKeon
I think its a fine article giving proper, and well deserved,kudos to "a developer called Tim Rowledge" x]
well done Tim Rowledge

Re: Squeak & Scratch mentions in The MagPi magazine

timrowledge

> On 29-10-2015, at 7:08 PM, John McKeon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I think its a fine article giving proper, and well deserved,kudos to "a
> developer called Tim Rowledge" x]
> well done Tim Rowledge

Well thanks - though I could wish that there had been room to mention at least the Squeak community. And there is that oh-so-blah phrase "or MIT rewrites Scratch in a different language.” that we’ve heard so many, many, times. (And by the way, if you know a project that ‘got rewritten in a different language’ successfully, please don’t tell me because then I won’t be able to say that I don’t know of any. Not without lying, and at least a couple of times people have been able to spot when I Iied)

And "a version of Pac-Man created in Scratch by Andrew Oliver is now running at a playable 30fps, up from 16fps on the Raspberry Pi model B and a mere 1fps on the original Pi.” is a bit clumsily phrased and should refer to 30fps on Pi2, 16fps on Pi B whereas the original version of Scratch was 1fps on a Pi B.

Sigh. I really should be used to magazine articles not getting it very close to correct by now.

tim
Useful random insult:- Immune from any serious head injury.