Squeak / Smalltalk classes

mike.vidal
HI,

Does anybody know of any good beginner level online / distance ED
Squeak / Smalltalk programming classes?

Either free or for a small fee would be OK.

Mike

Re: Squeak / Smalltalk classes

dsilva
/
Mike,
If you locate any classes, please let me know.
Dick Silva.
\

Re: Squeak / Smalltalk classes

Amir Ansari
I learned Smalltalk from some of the books listed on Stef Ducasse's web page: http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html

I found the following particularly useful:

Smalltalk by Example, by Alex Sharp
Smalltalk With Style, by Edward Klimas, Suzanne Skublics and David A Thomas

And a great book for beginners:

Smalltalk, Objects, and Design, by Chamond Liu

This was also surprisingly useful (terse, but well structured):

On To Smalltalk, by Patrick Henry Winston

It's essential to get into coding as quickly as possible (work on a small project!); then the books are used mainly for reference instead of learning.

Amir

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:38:23 -0500
Mike Vidal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI,
>
> Does anybody know of any good beginner level online / distance ED
> Squeak / Smalltalk programming classes?
>
> Either free or for a small fee would be OK.
>
> Mike

Re: Squeak / Smalltalk classes

Paul C Johnson
Thanks for the info on
Smalltalk, Objects, and Design, by Chamond Liu
I finally found a pdf version online
Just into it.
I prefer his type of writing with a great deal of background and examples.
I'm project less and will follow Chamond's lead.
Did you actually use IBM Small talk when using the book?

Thank You
Paul

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:45 AM, Amir Ansari <[hidden email]> wrote:
I learned Smalltalk from some of the books listed on Stef Ducasse's web page: http://stephane.ducasse.free.fr/FreeBooks.html

I found the following particularly useful:

Smalltalk by Example, by Alex Sharp
Smalltalk With Style, by Edward Klimas, Suzanne Skublics and David A Thomas

And a great book for beginners:

Smalltalk, Objects, and Design, by Chamond Liu

This was also surprisingly useful (terse, but well structured):

On To Smalltalk, by Patrick Henry Winston

It's essential to get into coding as quickly as possible (work on a small project!); then the books are used mainly for reference instead of learning.

Amir

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 11:38:23 -0500
Mike Vidal <[hidden email]> wrote:

> HI,
>
> Does anybody know of any good beginner level online / distance ED
> Squeak / Smalltalk programming classes?
>
> Either free or for a small fee would be OK.
>
> Mike

Re: Squeak / Smalltalk classes

Amir Ansari
I started with Squeak when I was using the book - most of the examples are universally applicable, until you get to the chapters on graphics/windows.  But by then you're comfortable enough with the language to be able to just read through those and understand what's going on.

I should've mentioned that, after downloading the free pdf versions of the first two books, I bought them and the others on Amazon.  (The last book I discovered in a university library!)  Paper copies are great!

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:00:35 -0700
Paul C Johnson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Thanks for the info on
> Smalltalk, Objects, and Design, by Chamond Liu
> I finally found a pdf version online
> Just into it.
> I prefer his type of writing with a great deal of background and examples.
> I'm project less and will follow Chamond's lead.
> Did you actually use IBM Small talk when using the book?
>
> Thank You
> Paul

Re: Squeak / Smalltalk classes

K K Subbu
On Tuesday 12 Oct 2010 11:54:31 am Amir Ansari wrote:
> I started with Squeak when I was using the book - most of the examples are
> universally applicable, until you get to the chapters on
> graphics/windows.  But by then you're comfortable enough with the language
> to be able to just read through those and understand what's going on.
Very true. Squeak is designed for live adaptation ("authoring is always on"),
so it is hard to capture its behavior in a static book and expect to use it
unchanged for more than a couple of releases.

One way beginners can start contributing to Squeak is to take a linear guide
like "Terse Guide to Squeak" and add these as example methods into Squeak
which can be updated as Squeak evolves. Such a live guide can be explored
through multiple aspects like senders, implementors, references etc. in the
image itself.

Anyone game for it?

Subbu

Re: Squeak / Smalltalk classes