Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

Giovanni Giorgi-2
Hi all,
 The Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmer official link is
  http://blog.objectsroot.com/squeak

Is it possible to add it to the www.squeak.org, in the Documentation page?

Thank you.

--
Software Architect
http://www.objectsroot.com/
Software is nothing

Re: Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

Jason Rogers-4
Sure, it would be really nice to include this.  However, would you
mind updating it?  It's based on Squeak 2.8, which is quite old.
There have been a lot of nice enhancements in the UI, bug fixes, new
classes added, etc. since then.

Jason

P.S. I just went back to look at it again and got the following error page:
Mod_python error: "PythonHandler django.core.handlers.modpython"

Traceback (most recent call last):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/mod_python/apache.py", line
299, in HandlerDispatch
    result = object(req)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/core/handlers/modpython.py",
line 163, in handler
    return ModPythonHandler()(req)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/core/handlers/modpython.py",
line 131, in __call__
    self.load_middleware()

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/core/handlers/base.py",
line 29, in load_middleware
    mod = __import__(mw_module, '', '', [''])

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/contrib/sessions/middleware.py",
line 2, in ?
    from django.contrib.sessions.models import Session

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/contrib/sessions/models.py",
line 34, in ?
    class Session(models.Model):

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py",
line 29, in __new__
    new_class.add_to_class('_meta', Options(attrs.pop('Meta', None)))

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/db/models/base.py",
line 135, in add_to_class
    value.contribute_to_class(cls, name)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/db/models/options.py",
line 53, in contribute_to_class
    setattr(self, 'verbose_name_plural',
meta_attrs.pop('verbose_name_plural', self.verbose_name + 's'))

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/utils/functional.py",
line 42, in __wrapper__
    res = self.__func(*self.__args, **self.__kw)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/utils/translation/trans_real.py",
line 255, in gettext
    _default = translation(settings.LANGUAGE_CODE)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/utils/translation/trans_real.py",
line 184, in translation
    default_translation = _fetch(settings.LANGUAGE_CODE)

  File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/django/utils/translation/trans_real.py",
line 167, in _fetch
    app = getattr(__import__(appname[:p], {}, {}, [appname[p+1:]]),
appname[p+1:])

AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'sitemaps'

--
Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18

Re: Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

Giovanni Giorgi-2
Hi,
 the error on the Site was because of a test I was carrying out in the sunday.
Now it is ok.

I am planning an update of the Tutorial, but most of the base concept
are quite stable.
I am planning a chapter on Seaside and AJAX...
There are other mature projects out of there, do you like to see in
the tutorial?

On 9/10/06, Jason Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Sure, it would be really nice to include this.  However, would you
> mind updating it?  It's based on Squeak 2.8, which is quite old.
> There have been a lot of nice enhancements in the UI, bug fixes, new
> classes added, etc. since then.
>
> Jason

[...]

--
Software Architect
http://www.objectsroot.com/
Software is nothing

Re: Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

J J-6
What about monicello?  I think any java programmer would be excited to see
that squeak has built in method version control, method rollbacks and all
those things as part of the environment, and I think monticello takes it to
the next level.

Pier (a content management system built on seaside and magaritte) would also
be a good choice.  You can build web sites very quickly from inside the
browser and easily embed any seaside components you have.

>From: "Giovanni Giorgi" <[hidden email]>
>To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list"<[hidden email]>
>Subject: Re: Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]
>Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:41:01 +0200
>
>Hi,
>the error on the Site was because of a test I was carrying out in the
>sunday.
>Now it is ok.
>
>I am planning an update of the Tutorial, but most of the base concept
>are quite stable.
>I am planning a chapter on Seaside and AJAX...
>There are other mature projects out of there, do you like to see in
>the tutorial?
>

>On 9/10/06, Jason Rogers <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>Sure, it would be really nice to include this.  However, would you
>>mind updating it?  It's based on Squeak 2.8, which is quite old.
>>There have been a lot of nice enhancements in the UI, bug fixes, new
>>classes added, etc. since then.
>>
>>Jason
>>
>[...]
>>
>>--
>>Jason Rogers
>>
>>"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
>>     Proverbs 29:18
>>

>--
>Software Architect
>http://www.objectsroot.com/
>Software is nothing

Re: Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

Giovanni Giorgi-2
I will take a look to Pier.
Monticello is very nice and well written, but  is quite an "advanced"
topic for a tutorial like mine.
Is Pier ready and stable?

On 9/11/06, J J <[hidden email]> wrote:
> What about monicello?  I think any java programmer would be excited to see
> that squeak has built in method version control, method rollbacks and all
> those things as part of the environment, and I think monticello takes it to
> the next level.
>
> Pier (a content management system built on seaside and magaritte) would also
> be a good choice.  You can build web sites very quickly from inside the
> browser and easily embed any seaside components you have.

--
Software Architect
http://www.objectsroot.com/
Software is nothing

RE: Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

Ramon Leon-5
> Is Pier ready and stable?

No, but it's getting closer.

Re: Re: Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

Jason Rogers-4
I wouldn't suggest duplicating the documentation though.  Perhaps
linking to what's already out there would be good.  I don't know about
documentation for Pier and Magritte, but I remember running across
something for Monticello (just Google for them).

Also, at my day job there has been a lot of hype about a plugin to
Eclipse called Mylar.  It's a way of looking at task-based changes in
the environment, committing task-based changes, etc.  All I could
think of while looking at it was "Wow, we've had that in Smalltalk for
years.  Can anyone say ChangeSet?".  Monticello takes that to the next
level, but perhaps a short section on using ChangeSets would be good
(with the appropriate screenshots as well of course).

I will add a link to this tutorial today, to both the testing and the main site.

--
Jason Rogers

"Where there is no vision, the people perish..."
    Proverbs 29:18

RE: Pier stability (was:Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

J J-6
What's wrong with it?  It looks pretty good to me so far.

>From: "Ramon Leon" <[hidden email]>
>To: "'The general-purpose Squeak developers
>list'"<[hidden email]>
>Subject: RE: Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]
>Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 08:08:35 -0700
>
> > Is Pier ready and stable?
>
>No, but it's getting closer.

RE: Pier stability (was:Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [LinkUpdate] [ANN]

Ramon Leon-5

> What's wrong with it?  It looks pretty good to me so far.

It's just alpha.  Things still change fast enough that occasionally an
upgrade breaks stuff.  Persistence is still very iffy, someone's been doing
work on magma as a backend lately, but it's too new to say how stable that
is.  Security is bare bones, it works, but you'll end up adding and removing
users in a Squeak workspace.  It's fairly easy to break an environment page
and hose a site with invalid html, forcing you to dig up the kernel in a
workspace and try and fix the page you broke.  Works ok if you're a
developer, but if you give it to a user, they'll find a way to break it
rather quick, at least that's been my experience.  Don't get me wrong, I
love Pier, it's going to be my development platform of choice, it's just not
totally ready yet, we need a larger community finding and fixing bugs and
stabilizing it.

Re: Squeak Tutorial for Java Programmers [Link Update] [ANN]

stephane ducasse-2
look at my video
I think that using mc is really simple if you do simple things.