Squeak UI is freezing

cbeler
Hi

I'm using the 3.9 image, the developer version and I have the UI that
freeze sometimes.
Usually, when something like that appeared, I used <cmd> . to stop the
process but here it's different. Whent the UI freeze, the cpu occupation
is around 0% and <cmd> . just doesn't work !

Note, that when the UI is frozen but I can still use seaside
applpication and sometimes I can get the hand back after playing with
seaside or restarting a session.

Does someone encounter the same problem ?

I use 3.9g-7058 with most of the dev-packages
I had this problem with linux (ubuntu), with vm 3.9-7 but also under
windows.

Do you think this is a problem is due to my image ?

Thanks

Cédrick

Re: Squeak UI is freezing

Yann Monclair-2
Hi Cedrick,

I've experienced similar problems with a 3.9  image and the 3.9-7 vm (mac and
linux). I haven't had them for a while. I never found out why they occured,
and
they seemed to solve themselves after some time, if you let the image run. It
could be a problem that gets solved once some objects get collected or
something...

Yann

Quoting Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> I'm using the 3.9 image, the developer version and I have the UI that
> freeze sometimes.
> Usually, when something like that appeared, I used <cmd> . to stop
> the process but here it's different. Whent the UI freeze, the cpu
> occupation is around 0% and <cmd> . just doesn't work !
>
> Note, that when the UI is frozen but I can still use seaside
> applpication and sometimes I can get the hand back after playing with
> seaside or restarting a session.
>
> Does someone encounter the same problem ?
>
> I use 3.9g-7058 with most of the dev-packages
> I had this problem with linux (ubuntu), with vm 3.9-7 but also under windows.
>
> Do you think this is a problem is due to my image ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cédrick

Re: [Seaside] Re: Squeak UI is freezing

Adrian Lienhard
it looks like the this issue reported on Mantis: http://
bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882

It might be useful to add the datapoints to this report as comments
so that they don't get lost.

also, the problem sounds similar to what Bert describes here: http://
lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-August/107618.html

Adrian

On Sep 22, 2006, at 13:34 , Yann Monclair wrote:

> Hi Cedrick,
>
> I've experienced similar problems with a 3.9  image and the 3.9-7
> vm (mac and
> linux). I haven't had them for a while. I never found out why they
> occured,
> and
> they seemed to solve themselves after some time, if you let the
> image run. It
> could be a problem that gets solved once some objects get collected or
> something...
>
> Yann
>

> Quoting Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm using the 3.9 image, the developer version and I have the UI that
>> freeze sometimes.
>> Usually, when something like that appeared, I used <cmd> . to stop
>> the process but here it's different. Whent the UI freeze, the cpu
>> occupation is around 0% and <cmd> . just doesn't work !
>>
>> Note, that when the UI is frozen but I can still use seaside
>> applpication and sometimes I can get the hand back after playing with
>> seaside or restarting a session.
>>
>> Does someone encounter the same problem ?
>>
>> I use 3.9g-7058 with most of the dev-packages
>> I had this problem with linux (ubuntu), with vm 3.9-7 but also
>> under windows.
>>
>> Do you think this is a problem is due to my image ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Cédrick

Re: Squeak UI is freezing

Lex Spoon
Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> writes:
> it looks like the this issue reported on Mantis: http://
> bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882

I get something different.  Squeak goes into an infinite loop, while
this bug reports very low CPU usage.

In my case, Squeak eventually crashes and produces a stack trace
involving CompiledMethod>>who and three other methods, infinitely
recursing.

This is a 3.9 image and VM 3.9-7.  But given the infinite recursion,
it looks like an image-level bug.

-Lex

Re: Squeak UI is freezing

cbeler

>> it looks like the this issue reported on Mantis: http://
>> bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882
>>

> I get something different.  Squeak goes into an infinite loop, while
> this bug reports very low CPU usage.
>
> In my case, Squeak eventually crashes and produces a stack trace
> involving CompiledMethod>>who and three other methods, infinitely
> recursing.
>
> This is a 3.9 image and VM 3.9-7.  But given the infinite recursion,
> it looks like an image-level bug.

for what it worth... in my case, when it happens on windows, I sometimes
get a console with a message looping when the mouse is moving over the
squeak screen:

WARNING: event buffer overflow

I'm not sure it's related to the same problem, as the console showed up
(I think) after I hit <cmd> . several times...

Cédrick

ps: is there a console on the linux/unix vm ? and if yes how to show it

Console (was: Squeak UI is freezing)

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Sep 25, 2006 at 02:48:27PM +0200, C?drick B?ler wrote:
> ps: is there a console on the linux/unix vm ? and if yes how to show it

No, the "console" is a Windows thing (well not really, the idea goes back
a long way, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console). Unix systems do not
need this. The input, output, and error streams for the Squeak VM can go
to the console on Windows, or they are simply connected to whatever shell
you are using on a unix system.  Actually, the whole idea of the input,
output, and error streams are just a part of the commonly accepted C
runtime library (available on most operating systems) and are not really
part of the Squeak environment at all.

Dave

Re: Squeak UI is freezing

Lex Spoon
Lex Spoon <[hidden email]> writes:

> Adrian Lienhard <[hidden email]> writes:
> > it looks like the this issue reported on Mantis: http://
> > bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882
>
> I get something different.  Squeak goes into an infinite loop, while
> this bug reports very low CPU usage.
>
> In my case, Squeak eventually crashes and produces a stack trace
> involving CompiledMethod>>who and three other methods, infinitely
> recursing.
>
> This is a 3.9 image and VM 3.9-7.  But given the infinite recursion,
> it looks like an image-level bug.

After further investigation, my problem came from installing some
version of the Refactoring Browser that has its own version
of CompiledMethod>>methodClass .  Reverting that to the standard
Squeak version fixed the problem.

-Lex

Re: Squeak UI is freezing

cbeler
Hi

To solve, this issue (I often have), I have a workaround inspired by
what Bert reported on a similar problem.
I load RFB, and then if the UI freezes, I open the VNC controler
application (http://localhost:8080/seaside/vnc) .Then supending and
resuming the UI process from the seaside interface gives me the hand
back in the squeak windows...

not nice, but better than loading changes ;)

Cédrick