Squeak UI is freezing

cbeler
Hi

I'm using the 3.9 image, the developer version and I have the UI that
freeze sometimes.
Usually, when something like that appeared, I used <cmd> . to stop the
process but here it's different. Whent the UI freeze, the cpu occupation
is around 0% and <cmd> . just doesn't work !

Note, that when the UI is frozen but I can still use seaside
applpication and sometimes I can get the hand back after playing with
seaside or restarting a session.

Does someone encounter the same problem ?

I use 3.9g-7058 with most of the dev-packages
I had this problem with linux (ubuntu), with vm 3.9-7 but also under
windows.

Do you think this is a problem is due to my image ?

Thanks

Cédrick

Re: Squeak UI is freezing

Yann Monclair-2
Hi Cedrick,

I've experienced similar problems with a 3.9  image and the 3.9-7 vm (mac and
linux). I haven't had them for a while. I never found out why they occured,
and
they seemed to solve themselves after some time, if you let the image run. It
could be a problem that gets solved once some objects get collected or
something...

Yann

Quoting Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>:

> Hi
>
> I'm using the 3.9 image, the developer version and I have the UI that
> freeze sometimes.
> Usually, when something like that appeared, I used <cmd> . to stop
> the process but here it's different. Whent the UI freeze, the cpu
> occupation is around 0% and <cmd> . just doesn't work !
>
> Note, that when the UI is frozen but I can still use seaside
> applpication and sometimes I can get the hand back after playing with
> seaside or restarting a session.
>
> Does someone encounter the same problem ?
>
> I use 3.9g-7058 with most of the dev-packages
> I had this problem with linux (ubuntu), with vm 3.9-7 but also under windows.
>
> Do you think this is a problem is due to my image ?
>
> Thanks
>
> Cédrick

Re: Re: Squeak UI is freezing

Nevin Pratt
And I occasionally have this problem with a 3.5 Squeak, 3.2 Seaside, and
4.x Comanche.

It is really rare, though.  Seems to happen about once every two months
or so on our production image.

Nevin

> Hi Cedrick,
>
> I've experienced similar problems with a 3.9  image and the 3.9-7 vm
> (mac and
> linux). I haven't had them for a while. I never found out why they
> occured,
> and
> they seemed to solve themselves after some time, if you let the image
> run. It
> could be a problem that gets solved once some objects get collected or
> something...
>
> Yann
>

> Quoting Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm using the 3.9 image, the developer version and I have the UI that
>> freeze sometimes.
>> Usually, when something like that appeared, I used <cmd> . to stop
>> the process but here it's different. Whent the UI freeze, the cpu
>> occupation is around 0% and <cmd> . just doesn't work !
>>
>> Note, that when the UI is frozen but I can still use seaside
>> applpication and sometimes I can get the hand back after playing with
>> seaside or restarting a session.
>>
>> Does someone encounter the same problem ?
>>
>> I use 3.9g-7058 with most of the dev-packages
>> I had this problem with linux (ubuntu), with vm 3.9-7 but also under
>> windows.
>>
>> Do you think this is a problem is due to my image ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Cédrick

Re: Re: Re: Squeak UI is freezing

Lukas Renggli
I reported this issue <http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882>

The strange thing is that Seaside still works, I forgot to mention
that but observed the same.

Cheers,
Lukas

--
Lukas Renggli
http://www.lukas-renggli.ch

Re: Re: Squeak UI is freezing

Adrian Lienhard
it looks like the this issue reported on Mantis: http://
bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882

It might be useful to add the datapoints to this report as comments
so that they don't get lost.

also, the problem sounds similar to what Bert describes here: http://
lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-August/107618.html

Adrian

On Sep 22, 2006, at 13:34 , Yann Monclair wrote:

> Hi Cedrick,
>
> I've experienced similar problems with a 3.9  image and the 3.9-7
> vm (mac and
> linux). I haven't had them for a while. I never found out why they
> occured,
> and
> they seemed to solve themselves after some time, if you let the
> image run. It
> could be a problem that gets solved once some objects get collected or
> something...
>
> Yann
>

> Quoting Cédrick Béler <[hidden email]>:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm using the 3.9 image, the developer version and I have the UI that
>> freeze sometimes.
>> Usually, when something like that appeared, I used <cmd> . to stop
>> the process but here it's different. Whent the UI freeze, the cpu
>> occupation is around 0% and <cmd> . just doesn't work !
>>
>> Note, that when the UI is frozen but I can still use seaside
>> applpication and sometimes I can get the hand back after playing with
>> seaside or restarting a session.
>>
>> Does someone encounter the same problem ?
>>
>> I use 3.9g-7058 with most of the dev-packages
>> I had this problem with linux (ubuntu), with vm 3.9-7 but also
>> under windows.
>>
>> Do you think this is a problem is due to my image ?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Cédrick

Re: Re: Squeak UI is freezing

cbeler

> I reported this issue <http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=4882>
>
> The strange thing is that Seaside still works, I forgot to mention
> that but observed the same.

and when I click somewhere on a seaside app (or restart a session), it
generally unfrozes squeak !!! not always though

Cédrick

Re: Squeak UI is freezing

cbeler
Hi

To solve, this issue (I often have), I have a workaround inspired by
what Bert reported on a similar problem.
I load RFB, and then if the UI freezes, I open the VNC controler
application (http://localhost:8080/seaside/vnc) .Then supending and
resuming the UI process from the seaside interface gives me the hand
back in the squeak windows...

not nice, but better than loading changes ;)

Cédrick