Squeak VM port to Google Native Client

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Hello,

  I'm playing with Google Native Client a bit and made a port of
Squeak VM to it.  It is far from complete (even the state where
backspace or Cmd-p etc. does not work, sound does not work, etc.), It
now reached to the state where I can say the basic part of it is
working.

  The source code is available at:

  http://github.com/yoshikiohshima/NaClSqueak

.  Also, f you have Google Chrome 11 beta available, try to turn on
the Native Client on (by typing "about:flags" into the title bar) and
access:

  http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/squeak/squeak.html

(The first try may take some time.)

  - It is gnuify-ed but we're still learning the JIT situation of
    NaCl.  So, it' need some work to port Cog.

  - The image data is embedded as a C array in this executable.  You
    can remove EMBEDDED_IMAGE_FILE flag off, and comment/uncomment the
    corresponding part of squeak.html, it can load the image
    separately via XMLHttpRequest of the browser.

  - There is some strange issue when you do fast drag the system
    window.

  - As you can see, the source code is derived from the Unix VM.  It
    was hard for me to write some CMake stuff to set it up for the
    cross compilation.  A help to merge it back to the Unix code would
    be greatly appreciated.

  - If Google takes over the world and all apps become a Native Client
    (may be even other browsers^^;), this port may be useful^^;

-- Yoshiki

Re: [Vm-dev] Squeak VM port to Google Native Client

stephane ducasse-2
Hi yoshiski

In october we have two squeak from SqueakNOS and marcus wanted one of them to do that so we will build on your code then.

Stef

On May 4, 2011, at 8:18 AM, Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>  Hello,
>
>  I'm playing with Google Native Client a bit and made a port of
> Squeak VM to it.  It is far from complete (even the state where
> backspace or Cmd-p etc. does not work, sound does not work, etc.), It
> now reached to the state where I can say the basic part of it is
> working.
>
>  The source code is available at:
>
>  http://github.com/yoshikiohshima/NaClSqueak
>
> .  Also, f you have Google Chrome 11 beta available, try to turn on
> the Native Client on (by typing "about:flags" into the title bar) and
> access:
>
>  http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/squeak/squeak.html
>
> (The first try may take some time.)
>
>  - It is gnuify-ed but we're still learning the JIT situation of
>    NaCl.  So, it' need some work to port Cog.
>
>  - The image data is embedded as a C array in this executable.  You
>    can remove EMBEDDED_IMAGE_FILE flag off, and comment/uncomment the
>    corresponding part of squeak.html, it can load the image
>    separately via XMLHttpRequest of the browser.
>
>  - There is some strange issue when you do fast drag the system
>    window.
>
>  - As you can see, the source code is derived from the Unix VM.  It
>    was hard for me to write some CMake stuff to set it up for the
>    cross compilation.  A help to merge it back to the Unix code would
>    be greatly appreciated.
>
>  - If Google takes over the world and all apps become a Native Client
>    (may be even other browsers^^;), this port may be useful^^;
>
> -- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak VM port to Google Native Client

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Tue, 03 May 2011 23:18:04 -0700,
Yoshiki Ohshima wrote:

>   Hello,
>
>   I'm playing with Google Native Client a bit and made a port of
> Squeak VM to it.  It is far from complete (even the state where
> backspace or Cmd-p etc. does not work, sound does not work, etc.), It
> now reached to the state where I can say the basic part of it is
> working.
>
>   The source code is available at:
>
>   http://github.com/yoshikiohshima/NaClSqueak
>
> .  Also, f you have Google Chrome 11 beta available, try to turn on
> the Native Client on (by typing "about:flags" into the title bar) and
> access:
>
>   http://tinlizzie.org/~ohshima/squeak/squeak.html
>
> (The first try may take some time.)
>
>   - It is gnuify-ed but we're still learning the JIT situation of
>     NaCl.  So, it' need some work to port Cog.
>
>   - The image data is embedded as a C array in this executable.  You
>     can remove EMBEDDED_IMAGE_FILE flag off, and comment/uncomment the
>     corresponding part of squeak.html, it can load the image
>     separately via XMLHttpRequest of the browser.
>
>   - There is some strange issue when you do fast drag the system
>     window.
>
>   - As you can see, the source code is derived from the Unix VM.  It
>     was hard for me to write some CMake stuff to set it up for the
>     cross compilation.  A help to merge it back to the Unix code would
>     be greatly appreciated.
>
>   - If Google takes over the world and all apps become a Native Client
>     (may be even other browsers^^;), this port may be useful^^;
>
> -- Yoshiki

  I forgot to mention that:

    - You can generate 64 bit binary if you compile it, but I don't
      have any environment handy to test it.  Such test is also
      greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

-- Yoshiki

Re: [Vm-dev] Squeak VM port to Google Native Client

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
At Wed, 4 May 2011 07:41:16 +0200,
stephane ducasse wrote:

> Hi yoshiski
>
> In october we have two squeak from SqueakNOS and marcus wanted one of them to do that so we will build on your code then.

  Yay!  I read on the Pharo mailing list that Marcu mentioned of
Native Client.  I hope you find my code any use.

-- Yoshiki