Squeak VNC

Richard Eng
Squeak VNC I’m trying to use Squeak’s VNC. I’ve performed “RFBServer open” in a workspace on my Linux box. Locally, I can run:

    vncviewer localhost:1

or

    vncviewer 192.168.1.101:1

...and up comes the virtual screen. Fine, that’s great.

But when I try to access it remotely from another computer, say, another Linux box:

    vncviewer 192.168.1.101:1

or a Windows machine using TightVNC and address “192.168.1.101:1”, I get absolutely nothing coming up on the Linux box after I’ve entered the VNC password, not even an error message, and on the Windows machine, I get the error message “error while waiting for server message”.

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Regards,
Richard

Re: Squeak VNC

Randal L. Schwartz

Richard> What am I missing here?

*How* remote?  I presume you're on the same segment, or at least nearby,
because 192.168 is a non-routable address... as in, it won't work outside
adjacent routers, for some meaning of "adjacent".

Re: Squeak VNC

Richard Eng
Yes, you are correct. All my machines are on the same segment. I only have
one router. However, I want to eventually access the Squeak image over the
Internet.

Regards,
Richard

On 12/4/07 10:08 AM, "Randal L. Schwartz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard> What am I missing here?
>
> *How* remote?  I presume you're on the same segment, or at least nearby,
> because 192.168 is a non-routable address... as in, it won't work outside
> adjacent routers, for some meaning of "adjacent".

Re: Squeak VNC

Randal L. Schwartz

Richard> Yes, you are correct. All my machines are on the same segment. I only
Richard> have one router. However, I want to eventually access the Squeak
Richard> image over the Internet.

You'll need to either open the VNC on a routable address then, or establish
some sort of tunnel.  The problem is the same whether it's VNC or not,
so there's plenty of literature on that.  I suggest googling for
"tunnel ssh" and looking at the lead hits.

Re: Squeak VNC

Adrian Lienhard
For security reasons I would not open those ports to the outside world
but ssh into your box with a port forward. This will likely also solve
your problem.
Adrian

On Dec 4, 2007, at 16:21 , Richard Eng wrote:

> Yes, you are correct. All my machines are on the same segment. I
> only have
> one router. However, I want to eventually access the Squeak image
> over the
> Internet.
>
> Regards,
> Richard

>> Richard> What am I missing here?
>>
>> *How* remote?  I presume you're on the same segment, or at least
>> nearby,
>> because 192.168 is a non-routable address... as in, it won't work
>> outside
>> adjacent routers, for some meaning of "adjacent".

Re: Squeak VNC

Richard Eng
I created the SSH connection. I had previously done that in order to run VNC
against the Ubuntu desktop. It had worked fine.

So following your suggestion, I made the SSH connection and tried to connect
to the Squeak image. I got the same "error while waiting for server message"
error.

I think we're all missing *something* here...

Richard

On 12/4/07 10:24 AM, "Randal L. Schwartz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard> Yes, you are correct. All my machines are on the same segment. I only
> Richard> have one router. However, I want to eventually access the Squeak
> Richard> image over the Internet.
>
> You'll need to either open the VNC on a routable address then, or establish
> some sort of tunnel.  The problem is the same whether it's VNC or not,
> so there's plenty of literature on that.  I suggest googling for
> "tunnel ssh" and looking at the lead hits.

Re: Squeak VNC

Randal L. Schwartz

Richard> I created the SSH connection. I had previously done that in order to
Richard> run VNC against the Ubuntu desktop. It had worked fine.

Richard> So following your suggestion, I made the SSH connection and tried to
Richard> connect to the Squeak image. I got the same "error while waiting for
Richard> server message" error.

Richard> I think we're all missing *something* here...

Did you set up the tunnel?  If you didn't say -L(something), you aren't
reading enough yet.  Google for "ssh tunnel vnc" for info.  You'll need to
translate the ":1" into its actual port number (I forget the math mapping on
that), and then create a local port with your ssh that maps to the proper port
on the remote box, and then connect to that *local* port with your local VNC
server.

Re: Squeak VNC

Jason Rogers-4
:1 refers to port 5901, :2 => 5902, :3 => 5903 ...

On Dec 4, 2007 11:19 AM, Randal L. Schwartz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard> I created the SSH connection. I had previously done that in order to
> Richard> run VNC against the Ubuntu desktop. It had worked fine.
>
> Richard> So following your suggestion, I made the SSH connection and tried to
> Richard> connect to the Squeak image. I got the same "error while waiting for
> Richard> server message" error.
>
> Richard> I think we're all missing *something* here...
>
> Did you set up the tunnel?  If you didn't say -L(something), you aren't
> reading enough yet.  Google for "ssh tunnel vnc" for info.  You'll need to
> translate the ":1" into its actual port number (I forget the math mapping on
> that), and then create a local port with your ssh that maps to the proper port
> on the remote box, and then connect to that *local* port with your local VNC
> server.

> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> See PerlTraining.Stonehenge.com for onsite and open-enrollment Perl training!

Jason Rogers

"I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live;
yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life
which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of
the Son of God, who loved me, and gave
himself for me."
    Galatians 2:20

Re: Squeak VNC

Richard Eng
Yes, I did set up the tunnel. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to do VNC
previously to the Linux desktop.

Richard

On 12/4/07 11:19 AM, "Randal L. Schwartz" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Richard> I created the SSH connection. I had previously done that in order to
> Richard> run VNC against the Ubuntu desktop. It had worked fine.
>
> Richard> So following your suggestion, I made the SSH connection and tried to
> Richard> connect to the Squeak image. I got the same "error while waiting for
> Richard> server message" error.
>
> Richard> I think we're all missing *something* here...
>
> Did you set up the tunnel?  If you didn't say -L(something), you aren't
> reading enough yet.  Google for "ssh tunnel vnc" for info.  You'll need to
> translate the ":1" into its actual port number (I forget the math mapping on
> that), and then create a local port with your ssh that maps to the proper port
> on the remote box, and then connect to that *local* port with your local VNC
> server.

Re: Squeak VNC

NorbertHartl

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 11:56 -0500, Richard Eng wrote:
> Yes, I did set up the tunnel. Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to do VNC
> previously to the Linux desktop.

I experienced problems myself using vncviewer on newer ubuntu
systems. You may try to use jvncviewer. This was the only one which
worked without any problems.

regards,

Norbert

Re: Squeak VNC

Richard Eng
Latest update...

When I try 'vncviewer 192.168.1.101:1', the connection is reset (fails).
Interestingly, on the server where the Squeak image is running, the
following printout appears in the Transcript:

    RFB: caught MessageNotUnderstood: LargePositiveInteger>>hex

I don't know much about Smalltalk but this suggests to me that the VNC
Squeak code isn't quite up-to-date.  :-)

Anyway, I can't be bothered to debug VNC, so I'm going to give up on using
it.

Regards,
Richard

Re: Squeak VNC

NorbertHartl

On Tue, 2007-12-04 at 19:40 -0500, Richard Eng wrote:

> Latest update...
>
> When I try 'vncviewer 192.168.1.101:1', the connection is reset (fails).
> Interestingly, on the server where the Squeak image is running, the
> following printout appears in the Transcript:
>
>     RFB: caught MessageNotUnderstood: LargePositiveInteger>>hex
>
> I don't know much about Smalltalk but this suggests to me that the VNC
> Squeak code isn't quite up-to-date.  :-)

The only call to hex I've found is in RFBSession>>rfbEncodingUnknown:
It might be that there is a negotiation problem about the communication
encoding. You might try a view switches on vncviewer and/or settings
in RFBServer.

Norbert

Re: Squeak VNC

Richard Eng
I've tried playing with the encoding settings. I made both vncviewer and
RFBServer use ZRLE encoding. The connection continues to crap out. In fact,
sometimes it causes the entire Squeak image to freeze!

This is ridiculous. Squeak VNC shouldn't be this difficult.

(It's also ridiculous that vncviewer supports a variety of encoding schemes
and Squeak VNC ***only*** supports ZRLE. And ZRLE, btw, is not available in
the free version of TightVNC for Windows. What a bummer.)

If a tool is this problematic to use, then you know it's time to give up on
it...

Richard

---------