Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...

MarkW607
macOS Mojave (10.14.6), first time running Squeak file. Steps to reproduce: 1. Download Squeak dmg file to Downloads folder. 2. Double-click on downloaded dmg file. Screen Shot of error message

Sent from the Squeak - Beginners mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...

Christoph Thiede

Did you try moving your download into a much shorter path before starting the VM?


Von: Beginners <[hidden email]> im Auftrag von MarkW607 <[hidden email]>
Gesendet: Freitag, 20. September 2019 15:19:40
An: [hidden email]
Betreff: [Newbies] Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...
 
macOS Mojave (10.14.6), first time running Squeak file. Steps to reproduce: 1. Download Squeak dmg file to Downloads folder. 2. Double-click on downloaded dmg file. Screen Shot of error message

Sent from the Squeak - Beginners mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...

robert.kuropkat
In reply to this post by MarkW607
Mark,

I'm not a Mac person, but when I've seen my students get
this error it is usually because they managed to start
Squeak more than once and the first instance has a write
lock on the file.  Also, since you can just uncompress the
file and put it anywhere, you might want to move it
somewhere with a shorter path.  You may or may not also
need to authorize the software to run.  I don't recall
which OSes I saw that on, but Macs, Windows Surface, guest
logins, etc. all tend to have more restrictive controls
concerning software not installed from their App Stores.
 I'm not familiar enough with any of them to guess if this
is some weird artifact of that.

You could try checking your process/application list to
see if it looks like squeak is running more than once.
 You can also try exiting the application and rebooting.
 When you start the application, be extra caustious to
insure you don't click on it too many times.

Robert Kuropkat


On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 08:19:40 -0500 (CDT)
  MarkW607 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> macOS Mojave (10.14.6), first time running Squeak file.
>Steps to reproduce:1.
> Download Squeak dmg file to Downloads folder.2.
>Double-click on downloaded
> dmg file.
> <http://forum.world.st/file/t370088/Screen_Shot_2019-09-20_at_09.png>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from:
>http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html
> --
> This email was Anti Virus checked by Astaro Security
>Gateway. http://www.sophos.com

_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...

Ron Teitelbaum
Once you open the dmg file you need to first drag the application out and put it in your applications folder.  Don't run Squeak in place. 
With squeak in the Applications folder you should be able to dismount the DMG and run the application without the error.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum


On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 11:45 AM Robert Kuropkat <[hidden email]> wrote:
Mark,

I'm not a Mac person, but when I've seen my students get
this error it is usually because they managed to start
Squeak more than once and the first instance has a write
lock on the file.  Also, since you can just uncompress the
file and put it anywhere, you might want to move it
somewhere with a shorter path.  You may or may not also
need to authorize the software to run.  I don't recall
which OSes I saw that on, but Macs, Windows Surface, guest
logins, etc. all tend to have more restrictive controls
concerning software not installed from their App Stores.
 I'm not familiar enough with any of them to guess if this
is some weird artifact of that.

You could try checking your process/application list to
see if it looks like squeak is running more than once.
 You can also try exiting the application and rebooting.
 When you start the application, be extra caustious to
insure you don't click on it too many times.

Robert Kuropkat


On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 08:19:40 -0500 (CDT)
  MarkW607 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> macOS Mojave (10.14.6), first time running Squeak file.
>Steps to reproduce:1.
> Download Squeak dmg file to Downloads folder.2.
>Double-click on downloaded
> dmg file.
> <http://forum.world.st/file/t370088/Screen_Shot_2019-09-20_at_09.png>
>
>
>
> --
> Sent from:
>http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html
> --
> This email was Anti Virus checked by Astaro Security
>Gateway. http://www.sophos.com

_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners

_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...

Tobias Pape
Hi

> On 20.09.2019, at 18:04, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Once you open the dmg file you need to first drag the application out and put it in your applications folder.  Don't run Squeak in place.
> With squeak in the Applications folder you should be able to dismount the DMG and run the application without the error.
>
> All the best,
>
> Ron Teitelbaum

Ron is right.
You MUST move the .app (anywhere but the Downloads folder). Apple got really fussy about downloaded files.

Best regards
        -Tobias

>
>
> On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 11:45 AM Robert Kuropkat <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Mark,
>
> I'm not a Mac person, but when I've seen my students get
> this error it is usually because they managed to start
> Squeak more than once and the first instance has a write
> lock on the file.  Also, since you can just uncompress the
> file and put it anywhere, you might want to move it
> somewhere with a shorter path.  You may or may not also
> need to authorize the software to run.  I don't recall
> which OSes I saw that on, but Macs, Windows Surface, guest
> logins, etc. all tend to have more restrictive controls
> concerning software not installed from their App Stores.
>  I'm not familiar enough with any of them to guess if this
> is some weird artifact of that.
>
> You could try checking your process/application list to
> see if it looks like squeak is running more than once.
>  You can also try exiting the application and rebooting.
>  When you start the application, be extra caustious to
> insure you don't click on it too many times.
>
> Robert Kuropkat
>
>
> On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 08:19:40 -0500 (CDT)
>   MarkW607 <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > macOS Mojave (10.14.6), first time running Squeak file.
> >Steps to reproduce:1.
> > Download Squeak dmg file to Downloads folder.2.
> >Double-click on downloaded
> > dmg file.
> > <http://forum.world.st/file/t370088/Screen_Shot_2019-09-20_at_09.png>
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> > Sent from:
> >http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html



_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...

MarkW607
What seems to have worked is:

1. Move the dmg file from Downloads to Applications.
2. Open the dmg file (double-click).
3. Drag the revealed application back into Applications.

(Note: It did not work to skip step 1 and open the dmg file in Downloads,
then drag the revealed application into Applications. That caused an *alias*
to the application to be created in Applications and, when ran, the same
"cannot write ..." error.)

Thanks to all for your suggestions,

Mark




--
Sent from: http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Beginners-f107673.html
_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Squeak cannot write to the changes file ...

Tobias Pape
Dear Mark


> On 22.09.2019, at 22:04, MarkW607 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> What seems to have worked is:
>
> 1. Move the dmg file from Downloads to Applications.
> 2. Open the dmg file (double-click).
> 3. Drag the revealed application back into Applications.
>
> (Note: It did not work to skip step 1 and open the dmg file in Downloads,
> then drag the revealed application into Applications. That caused an *alias*
> to the application to be created in Applications and, when ran, the same
> "cannot write ..." error.)
>

Thank you for the report.
macOS really makes it hard nowadays to run things :(
Good you found a way!

Best regards
        -Tobias

> Thanks to all for your suggestions,
>
> Mark



_______________________________________________
Beginners mailing list
[hidden email]
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/mailman/listinfo/beginners