Squeak code now browsable and bookmarkable on the Web

Squeak code now browsable and bookmarkable on the Web

Janko Mivšek
Dear all,

That's what I put together today on Aida for Squeakers. What do yo mean,
is this a way to go further for easier access to a Smalltalk code?

Latest debate about documentation, accessing of source from the web and
Google indexing warmed me to the point that I made a first glimpse of a
web interface to code in Squeak image:

        http://squeak.aidaweb.si:8000

This is a newest Damien's squeak-web image and if, for instance, you'd
like to see the code of that web app, here is its bookmarkable Url:

        http://squeak.aidaweb.si:8000/category/aidabrowser.html

Everything is bookmarkable: class categories, classes, methods. That way
it is very easy to email someone a link to some code in your image. Yes,
your own image can soon be accessible from the web that way!

Best regards
Janko

--
Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Squeak code now browsable and bookmarkable on the Web

Nicolas Petton

Le vendredi 04 janvier 2008 ? 23:08 +0100, Janko Miv?ek a ?crit :

> Dear all,
>
> That's what I put together today on Aida for Squeakers. What do yo mean,
> is this a way to go further for easier access to a Smalltalk code?
>
> Latest debate about documentation, accessing of source from the web and
> Google indexing warmed me to the point that I made a first glimpse of a
> web interface to code in Squeak image:
>
> http://squeak.aidaweb.si:8000
>
> This is a newest Damien's squeak-web image and if, for instance, you'd
> like to see the code of that web app, here is its bookmarkable Url:
>
> http://squeak.aidaweb.si:8000/category/aidabrowser.html
>
> Everything is bookmarkable: class categories, classes, methods. That way
> it is very easy to email someone a link to some code in your image. Yes,
> your own image can soon be accessible from the web that way!

Very good idea Janko !

Even better, I saw you made a squeaksource repository too :
http://www.squeaksource.com/AidaBrowser/

It looks like a wonderful tool, but the image seems to be down...

I can't wait for it!

Cheers,

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr

Une pi?ce jointe non texte a ?t? nettoy?e...
Nom: non disponible
Type: application/pgp-signature
Taille: 189 octets
Desc: Ceci est une partie de message

nicolas petton wrote:

>> That's what I put together today on Aida for Squeakers. What do yo mean,
>> is this a way to go further for easier access to a Smalltalk code?
>>
>> Latest debate about documentation, accessing of source from the web and
>> Google indexing warmed me to the point that I made a first glimpse of a
>> web interface to code in Squeak image:
>>
>> http://squeak.aidaweb.si:8000
>>
>> This is a newest Damien's squeak-web image and if, for instance, you'd
>> like to see the code of that web app, here is its bookmarkable Url:
>>
>> http://squeak.aidaweb.si:8000/category/aidabrowser.html
>>
>> Everything is bookmarkable: class categories, classes, methods. That way
>> it is very easy to email someone a link to some code in your image. Yes,
>> your own image can soon be accessible from the web that way!
>

> Very good idea Janko !
>
> Even better, I saw you made a squeaksource repository too :
> http://www.squeaksource.com/AidaBrowser/

Yep, you can see a code of that web app called AidaBrowser there. It is
also a good proof how simple web part actually is and how Aida really
means MVC.

> It looks like a wonderful tool, but the image seems to be down...

Well, Squeak image stability is so so ... I actually need to find a way
to make it stable to run for months as VW images are able to run.

Janko

http://www.aidaweb.si

Squeak code now browsable and bookmarkable on the Web

Nicolas Petton

Le samedi 05 janvier 2008 ? 12:51 +0100, Janko Miv?ek a ?crit :

> nicolas petton wrote:
>
> >> That's what I put together today on Aida for Squeakers. What do yo mean,
> >> is this a way to go further for easier access to a Smalltalk code?
> >>
> >> Latest debate about documentation, accessing of source from the web and
> >> Google indexing warmed me to the point that I made a first glimpse of a
> >> web interface to code in Squeak image:
> >>
> >> http://squeak.aidaweb.si:8000
> >>
> >> This is a newest Damien's squeak-web image and if, for instance, you'd
> >> like to see the code of that web app, here is its bookmarkable Url:
> >>
> >> http://squeak.aidaweb.si:8000/category/aidabrowser.html
> >>
> >> Everything is bookmarkable: class categories, classes, methods. That way
> >> it is very easy to email someone a link to some code in your image. Yes,
> >> your own image can soon be accessible from the web that way!
> >

> > Very good idea Janko !
> >
> > Even better, I saw you made a squeaksource repository too :
> > http://www.squeaksource.com/AidaBrowser/
>
> Yep, you can see a code of that web app called AidaBrowser there. It is
> also a good proof how simple web part actually is and how Aida really
> means MVC.
>
> > It looks like a wonderful tool, but the image seems to be down...
>
> Well, Squeak image stability is so so ... I actually need to find a way
> to make it stable to run for months as VW images are able to run.

My squeak images run for months without any problem... look at
http://mc.bioskop.fr for example.

Did you try squeak ./squeak.image -vm-display-none ?
It works fine for me.

Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr
Ma cl? GPG est disponible ici :
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE788C34D

Une pi?ce jointe non texte a ?t? nettoy?e...
Nom: non disponible
Type: application/pgp-signature
Taille: 189 octets
Desc: Ceci est une partie de message

Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

Janko Mivšek
Hi Nicolas,

nicolas petton wrote:

>>> It looks like a wonderful tool, but the image seems to be down...

>> Well, Squeak image stability is so so ... I actually need to find a way
>> to make it stable to run for months as VW images are able to run.

> My squeak images run for months without any problem... look at
> http://mc.bioskop.fr for example.

> Did you try squeak ./squeak.image -vm-display-none ?
> It works fine for me.

But then I won't have a development environment accessible for
on-the-fly debugging of errors. On my VW images this is actually the
biggest advantage over other frameworks: that I can see and debug errors
in a live image and even not immediately but after a while. On my
collocated server and its image you'll see some exceptions waiting there
for months to be solved. Not to be proud of that but you can see the point.

Janko

--
Janko Miv?ek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

fstephany
Hi Janko,

> But then I won't have a development environment accessible for
> on-the-fly debugging of errors. On my VW images this is actually the
> biggest advantage over other frameworks: that I can see and debug errors
> in a live image and even not immediately but after a while. On my
> collocated server and its image you'll see some exceptions waiting there
> for months to be solved. Not to be proud of that but you can see the point.
>
> Janko

I'm quite new to Squeak (and Smalltalk) but I think you can simply
start a VNC server in your image, save it and relaunch it with
squeak -vm display=none,sound=none squeakWeb.image
and you'll be able to connect to it with VNC ( http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/834
) from the outside :)

Hope that helps,

François

Re: Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

Janko Mivšek
Salut François,

Thanks for the tip and I just managed to install that RemoteFrameBuffer
(aka VNC), after quite some pain and pragmatic patching of it but it
works now. Also, tahe wiki page is not helpfull much but it confuses it
even more. Installing just RemoteFrameBuffer from SqueakMap is enough.

AidaBrowser is running now headless, with VNC viewer open and I'll see
if it will survive the night. So far it crashed every night!

Best regards
Janko

[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi Janko,
>
>> But then I won't have a development environment accessible for
>> on-the-fly debugging of errors. On my VW images this is actually the
>> biggest advantage over other frameworks: that I can see and debug errors
>> in a live image and even not immediately but after a while. On my
>> collocated server and its image you'll see some exceptions waiting there
>> for months to be solved. Not to be proud of that but you can see the point.
>>
>> Janko
>
> I'm quite new to Squeak (and Smalltalk) but I think you can simply
> start a VNC server in your image, save it and relaunch it with
> squeak -vm display=none,sound=none squeakWeb.image
> and you'll be able to connect to it with VNC ( http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/834
> ) from the outside :)
>
> Hope that helps,
>

> François

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

Jimmie Houchin-3
Janko Mivšek wrote:
> Salut François,
>
> Thanks for the tip and I just managed to install that RemoteFrameBuffer
> (aka VNC), after quite some pain and pragmatic patching of it but it
> works now. Also, tahe wiki page is not helpfull much but it confuses it
> even more. Installing just RemoteFrameBuffer from SqueakMap is enough.
>
> AidaBrowser is running now headless, with VNC viewer open and I'll see
> if it will survive the night. So far it crashed every night!

Hello Janko,

The Seaside people do not keep RFB running all the time. They only start
it up as necessary. They have a web interface to start it up. At least
that is my understanding.

I have had the opportunity to start into AIDA/Web yet. I am currently
reading the docs. But maybe something similar can be added to whatever
web based configuration interface is available.

Below is the text of an email conversation I had on the Seaside mailing
list. Message and thread available at:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-October/014722.html

Hope this helps.

Jimmie

++++++++++++++++++++++

On 10/11/07, Jimmie Houchin <j.squeak at cyberhaus.us> wrote:

> X11 is not required?

Correct.

> Is the port configurable?

Yes.  The standard range starts at 5900.

> I presume one can write a method which can be called via a web browser
> to start or stop service from the RFBServer.

Yes, some versions of Seaside include WAVNCController which does
precisely that.

> Have the RFBServer running but no client connected.
> Such would hopefully have little resource usage. Just a guess?
> Then if you encounter a debug situation, you can possibly have a client
> connect, debug, disconnect. ?

We have it not running, and in fact suspend the UI process, until
there's a problem.  WAVNCController lets us start up the VNC server
and resume the UI process so we can go in and take a look, and then
shut these off after we're done.

Suspending the UI process does help to conserve server resources.

Avi

Monitoring and debugging remotely (was Squeak stability)

Janko Mivšek
Hi Jimmie,

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

>> Thanks for the tip and I just managed to install that RemoteFrameBuffer
>> (aka VNC), after quite some pain and pragmatic patching of it but it
>> works now. Also, tahe wiki page is not helpfull much but it confuses it
>> even more. Installing just RemoteFrameBuffer from SqueakMap is enough.
>>
>> AidaBrowser is running now headless, with VNC viewer open and I'll see
>> if it will survive the night. So far it crashed every night!

> The Seaside people do not keep RFB running all the time. They only start
> it up as necessary. They have a web interface to start it up. At least
> that is my understanding.

They usually run many images behind load balancer and Apache while on
Aida only one image will be enough in must cases, serving many
applications on many websites at once and directly, without Apache. Main
reason is that Aida is not resource hungry and that Swazoo is capable
enough to serve on the web directly.

Also, on Swazoo/Aida exceptions open windows which stay open until you
come around and debug them. Usually with all stack preserved. That's
very handy for debugging rare exceptions and almost mandatory in cases
when many sites with many applications run in one image. So, VNC access
to image which stays open for a long time is a preferable way of
monitoring and supporting your Aida websites. I for instance have a VNC
open all the time to my collocated server where only one VW image is
serving all my customers who host there.

To conclude, I think we can afford to run a RFB/VNC server all the time
in image and have therefore possibility to attach in any timeor even
stay a vnc client open all the time. I will definitively have later for
my images, because I like to see what is happening there!

Thanks for your information!

Janko

> I have had the opportunity to start into AIDA/Web yet. I am currently
> reading the docs. But maybe something similar can be added to whatever
> web based configuration interface is available.

> Below is the text of an email conversation I had on the Seaside mailing
> list. Message and thread available at:
>
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-October/014722.html
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Jimmie
>

> ++++++++++++++++++++++
>
> On 10/11/07, Jimmie Houchin <j.squeak at cyberhaus.us> wrote:
>
>> X11 is not required?
>
> Correct.
>
>> Is the port configurable?
>
> Yes.  The standard range starts at 5900.
>
>> I presume one can write a method which can be called via a web browser
>> to start or stop service from the RFBServer.
>
> Yes, some versions of Seaside include WAVNCController which does
> precisely that.
>
>> Have the RFBServer running but no client connected.
>> Such would hopefully have little resource usage. Just a guess?
>> Then if you encounter a debug situation, you can possibly have a client
>> connect, debug, disconnect. ?
>
> We have it not running, and in fact suspend the UI process, until
> there's a problem.  WAVNCController lets us start up the VNC server
> and resume the UI process so we can go in and take a look, and then
> shut these off after we're done.
>
> Suspending the UI process does help to conserve server resources.
>
> Avi

Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

Janko Mivšek
François, running an image headless, with a remote VNC connection,
really increase stability of the image. So far no crash yet!

Thanks again
Janko

Le mardi 08 janvier 2008 à 11:37 -0600, Jimmie Houchin a écrit :
> Janko Mivšek wrote:
> > Salut François,
> >
> > Thanks for the tip and I just managed to install that RemoteFrameBuffer
> > (aka VNC), after quite some pain and pragmatic patching of it but it
> > works now. Also, tahe wiki page is not helpfull much but it confuses it
> > even more. Installing just RemoteFrameBuffer from SqueakMap is enough.

How did you manage to make VNC work?
It works fine on Squeak3.6, but on squeak3.9, vncviewer says the VNC
server closed connection.

Nicolas

Nicolas Petton wrote:

>>> Thanks for the tip and I just managed to install that RemoteFrameBuffer
>>> (aka VNC), after quite some pain and pragmatic patching of it but it
>>> works now. Also, tahe wiki page is not helpfull much but it confuses it
>>> even more. Installing just RemoteFrameBuffer from SqueakMap is enough.
>
> How did you manage to make VNC work?
> It works fine on Squeak3.6, but on squeak3.9, vncviewer says the VNC
> server closed connection.

Yes, because there was some change in Smalltalk (SytemDictionary)
methods. There is no Smalltalk isBigEndian there, for instance.

What I did: I enabled debugging in RFB so that every error raised an
exception and then simply provided some fixed answer to those missing
methods: false instead of Smalltalk isBigEndian for instance.

But Nicolas if you have a time you could provide a patch for RFB to work
on 3.9 as it should. This will be a very welcome contribution, I'm sure!

Janko

Le mercredi 09 janvier 2008 à 22:36 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :

> > How did you manage to make VNC work?
> > It works fine on Squeak3.6, but on squeak3.9, vncviewer says the VNC
> > server closed connection.
>
> Yes, because there was some change in Smalltalk (SytemDictionary)
> methods. There is no Smalltalk isBigEndian there, for instance.
>
> What I did: I enabled debugging in RFB so that every error raised an
> exception and then simply provided some fixed answer to those missing
> methods: false instead of Smalltalk isBigEndian for instance.
Thank you, isBigEndian method is in SmalltalkImage now.
So I replaced

Smalltalk isBigEndian
by

SmalltalkImage current isBigEndian

Nicolas

> But Nicolas if you have a time you could provide a patch for RFB to work
> on 3.9 as it should. This will be a very welcome contribution, I'm sure!
>
> Janko
>

> > Nicolas
> >> Hello Janko,
> >>
> >> The Seaside people do not keep RFB running all the time. They only start
> >> it up as necessary. They have a web interface to start it up. At least
> >> that is my understanding.
> >>
> >> I have had the opportunity to start into AIDA/Web yet. I am currently
> >> reading the docs. But maybe something similar can be added to whatever
> >> web based configuration interface is available.
> >>
> >> Below is the text of an email conversation I had on the Seaside mailing
> >> list. Message and thread available at:
> >>
> >> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/seaside/2007-October/014722.html
> >>
> >> Hope this helps.
> >>
> >> Jimmie
> >>

> >> ++++++++++++++++++++++

> >> Correct.

> >> Yes.  The standard range starts at 5900.

> >> Yes, some versions of Seaside include WAVNCController which does
> >> precisely that.

> >> We have it not running, and in fact suspend the UI process, until
> >> there's a problem.  WAVNCController lets us start up the VNC server
> >> and resume the UI process so we can go in and take a look, and then
> >> shut these off after we're done.
> >>
> >> Suspending the UI process does help to conserve server resources.
> >>
> >> Avi

Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr
            ___
          ooooooo
         OOOOOOOOO
        |Smalltalk|
         OOOOOOOOO
          ooooooo
           \   /
            [|]

Re: Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

fstephany
Nice to know that it works well!
Sorry for the time-consuming non-helpful links :/

I havent tried Aida yet but I cant wait to have the time for that :)

Regards,

François

Janko Mivšek a écrit :

> François, running an image headless, with a remote VNC connection,
> really increase stability of the image. So far no crash yet!
>
> Thanks again
> Janko
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
>
>> Hi Janko,
>>

>>> But then I won't have a development environment accessible for
>>> on-the-fly debugging of errors. On my VW images this is actually the
>>> biggest advantage over other frameworks: that I can see and debug errors
>>> in a live image and even not immediately but after a while. On my
>>> collocated server and its image you'll see some exceptions waiting there
>>> for months to be solved. Not to be proud of that but you can see the point.
>>>
>>> Janko
>>>
>> I'm quite new to Squeak (and Smalltalk) but I think you can simply
>> start a VNC server in your image, save it and relaunch it with
>> squeak -vm display=none,sound=none squeakWeb.image
>> and you'll be able to connect to it with VNC ( http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/834
>> ) from the outside :)
>>
>> Hope that helps,
>>

>> François

Re: Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

Janko Mivšek
Well, I was happy too soon. Squeak crashed during the night
(segmentation fault)...

Janko

Le jeudi 10 janvier 2008 à 10:30 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :
> Well, I was happy too soon. Squeak crashed during the night
> (segmentation fault)...
Hi,

Well, this is not normal at all! Squeak shouldn't crash like that...
Look at www.seaside.st, www.lukas-renggli.ch, www.squeaksource.com, or
mc.bioskop.fr.
Thoses squeak images are running for months without any pb.

Maybe you could tell us more about your Squeak installation ?
Did you compile the VM? What image do you use ? etc

Nicolas

> Janko
>
> Francois Stephany wrote:
> > Nice to know that it works well!
> > Sorry for the time-consuming non-helpful links :/
> >
> > I havent tried Aida yet but I cant wait to have the time for that :)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > François
> >
> > Janko Mivšek a écrit :
> >> François, running an image headless, with a remote VNC connection,
> >> really increase stability of the image. So far no crash yet!
> >>
> >> Thanks again
> >> Janko

Nicolas Petton
http://nico.bioskop.fr
            ___
          ooooooo
         OOOOOOOOO
        |Smalltalk|
         OOOOOOOOO
          ooooooo
           \   /
            [|]

Nicolas Petton wrote:

>> Well, I was happy too soon. Squeak crashed during the night
>> (segmentation fault)...

> Well, this is not normal at all! Squeak shouldn't crash like that...
> Look at www.seaside.st, www.lukas-renggli.ch, www.squeaksource.com, or
> mc.bioskop.fr.
> Thoses squeak images are running for months without any pb.
>
> Maybe you could tell us more about your Squeak installation ?
> Did you compile the VM? What image do you use ? etc

I'm using latest Damien's squeak-web image (squeak 3.9), which now
includes Aida too.  Also, a VM is a standard 3.9, downloaded from squeak
website.

Ops, that's not true! squeak -version returns 3.7! Hmmmm! Maybe is this
a squeak from Suse Linux distribution? No, it seems that I actually
didn't upgrade VM so long. I did download but not installed it, eh!

Downloading vm 3.9.8, installing, now version is:

        3.9-8 #5 Tue Oct 10 11:56:09 PDT 2006 gcc 4.0.3
        Squeak3.9alpha of 4 July 2005 [latest update: #7021]

Well, this is surely a first step to improve stability. Ok, let we try
that again, still with VNC attached.

Thanks for the tip Nicolas!

JAnko

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Squeak stability (was Squeak code .. on the Web)

Nicolas Petton

There is a working version of RFB (VNC) here :
http://www.squeaksource.com/RFB

Works fine in both squeak3.9 and 3.10

Cheers!

Nicolas

Le mardi 08 janvier 2008 à 00:20 +0100, Janko Mivšek a écrit :

> Salut François,
>
> Thanks for the tip and I just managed to install that RemoteFrameBuffer
> (aka VNC), after quite some pain and pragmatic patching of it but it
> works now. Also, tahe wiki page is not helpfull much but it confuses it
> even more. Installing just RemoteFrameBuffer from SqueakMap is enough.
>
> AidaBrowser is running now headless, with VNC viewer open and I'll see
> if it will survive the night. So far it crashed every night!
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>
> [hidden email] wrote:
> > Hi Janko,
> >
> >> But then I won't have a development environment accessible for
> >> on-the-fly debugging of errors. On my VW images this is actually the
> >> biggest advantage over other frameworks: that I can see and debug errors
> >> in a live image and even not immediately but after a while. On my
> >> collocated server and its image you'll see some exceptions waiting there
> >> for months to be solved. Not to be proud of that but you can see the point.
> >>
> >> Janko
> >
> > I'm quite new to Squeak (and Smalltalk) but I think you can simply
> > start a VNC server in your image, save it and relaunch it with
> > squeak -vm display=none,sound=none squeakWeb.image
> > and you'll be able to connect to it with VNC ( http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/834
> > ) from the outside :)
> >
> > Hope that helps,
> >

> > François