Squeak demonstrated on the Lab With Leo

Randal L. Schwartz

Yesterday, I did two Squeak-related segments for The Lab With Leo
(labwithleo.com), a technology show that is shown on cable in Canada and
Australia, and on bittorrent endpoints around the world with some clever
googling.

I talked about the OLPC Etoys image for show #149 (each show's number is shown
prominently in the opening). I did the classic "draw a car and control it with
a drawn steering wheel" demo.  Thanks Alan, for that.

For show #137, I showed the Scratch programming environment from
scratch.mit.edu.  I made the default cat "follow the mouse", and didn't
realize until midway through that it was more anthropomorphic than I had
realized. :) Of course, when I duplicated that cat, Leo Laporte uttered "copy
cat", and got me laughing as well.  I mentioned that Squeak powered Scratch,
but didn't go into it as deep as I did for the Etoys talk.  I also emphasized
the community aspect, of being able to upload my stupid project and download
others.

I'm happy to have shown Squeak in a very public venue.  This should raise the
visibility of Squeak-for-kids, since this show is highly respected and watched.

The episodes should air in the mid-January timeframe, so watch for them.

If someone could help me get into Croquet a bit more, I'm being asked for
topics for February already. (nudge!)

Re: Squeak demonstrated on the Lab With Leo

johnmci

On Nov 29, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> The episodes should air in the mid-January timeframe, so watch for
> them.
>
> If someone could help me get into Croquet a bit more, I'm being
> asked for
> topics for February already. (nudge!)

Ah, nice, thanks for taking the time to do all that.

I'll note you could also play with Sophie, yet another Squeak based
product.

We just shipped RC7 yesterday.

http://www.sophieproject.org/download

--
=
=

Re: Squeak demonstrated on the Lab With Leo

Randal L. Schwartz

John> On Nov 29, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

John> Ah, nice, thanks for taking the time to do all that.

Thanks.

John> I'll note you could also play with Sophie, yet another Squeak based
John> product.

Ahh yes, that's also on my radar.  Yet Another Thing to get my head around.

Between "Cool Things With Squeak" and "Cool web building with Seaside", I
could have my hands full as the ambassador to the world next year. :)

In case it's not clear, I've rediscovered Smalltalk, and am using the numerous
connections made with my friends from the open source community through the
years (because of Perl) to now help promote Smalltalk.  Feel free to contact
me with (a) interesting projects and (b) people whom you want to reach but are
more phone calls away from than I am. :)

It's my goal in 2008 to make Smalltalk have a bigger blog-buzz than Ruby.
Call me crazy.  But call me. :)

Re: Squeak demonstrated on the Lab With Leo

Steven W Riggins
Awesome!

It is good for projects like Scratch and Sophie to show off what
Squeak can do, with a lot of love and hard work :)

Steve

On Nov 29, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Yesterday, I did two Squeak-related segments for The Lab With Leo
> (labwithleo.com), a technology show that is shown on cable in Canada
> and
> Australia, and on bittorrent endpoints around the world with some
> clever
> googling.
>
> I talked about the OLPC Etoys image for show #149 (each show's
> number is shown
> prominently in the opening). I did the classic "draw a car and
> control it with
> a drawn steering wheel" demo.  Thanks Alan, for that.
>
> For show #137, I showed the Scratch programming environment from
> scratch.mit.edu.  I made the default cat "follow the mouse", and
> didn't
> realize until midway through that it was more anthropomorphic than I
> had
> realized. :) Of course, when I duplicated that cat, Leo Laporte
> uttered "copy
> cat", and got me laughing as well.  I mentioned that Squeak powered
> Scratch,
> but didn't go into it as deep as I did for the Etoys talk.  I also
> emphasized
> the community aspect, of being able to upload my stupid project and
> download
> others.
>
> I'm happy to have shown Squeak in a very public venue.  This should
> raise the
> visibility of Squeak-for-kids, since this show is highly respected
> and watched.
>
> The episodes should air in the mid-January timeframe, so watch for
> them.
>
> If someone could help me get into Croquet a bit more, I'm being
> asked for
> topics for February already. (nudge!)

> 777 0095
> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> training!

Re: Squeak demonstrated on the Lab With Leo

Yoshiki Ohshima-2
  Randal,

> In case it's not clear, I've rediscovered Smalltalk, and am using the numerous
> connections made with my friends from the open source community through the
> years (because of Perl) to now help promote Smalltalk.  Feel free to contact
> me with (a) interesting projects and (b) people whom you want to reach but are
> more phone calls away from than I am. :)
>
> It's my goal in 2008 to make Smalltalk have a bigger blog-buzz than Ruby.
> Call me crazy.  But call me. :)

  You, crazy!

  If you have any questions regarding OLPC etoys, please ask people on
the etoys mailing list (http://lists.laptop.org/listinfo/etoys).
Depending on where you are going to do this kind of demo, somebody
with the prototype or production model of XO may be able to help you.

-- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak demonstrated on the Lab With Leo

stephane ducasse
Excellent
If you need help for a talk on Squeak and Seaside let us know. I like
your goal for 2008 :)
For 2008 I dream to have a better squeak :)

Stef

> John> On Nov 29, 2007, at 1:43 PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>
> John> Ah, nice, thanks for taking the time to do all that.
>
> Thanks.
>
> John> I'll note you could also play with Sophie, yet another Squeak
> based
> John> product.
>
> Ahh yes, that's also on my radar.  Yet Another Thing to get my head
> around.
>
> Between "Cool Things With Squeak" and "Cool web building with
> Seaside", I
> could have my hands full as the ambassador to the world next year. :)
>
> In case it's not clear, I've rediscovered Smalltalk, and am using
> the numerous
> connections made with my friends from the open source community
> through the
> years (because of Perl) to now help promote Smalltalk.  Feel free
> to contact
> me with (a) interesting projects and (b) people whom you want to
> reach but are
> more phone calls away from than I am. :)
>
> It's my goal in 2008 to make Smalltalk have a bigger blog-buzz than
> Ruby.
> Call me crazy.  But call me. :)

> 777 0095
> <[hidden email]> <URL:http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/>
> training!

Re: Squeak demonstrated on the Lab With Leo

Alexander Lazarevic'
Randal L. Schwartz schrieb:
> The episodes should air in the mid-January timeframe, so watch for them
Here [1] one can see Squeak on LWL.

Alex

[1] http://snurl.com/200sx

Re: Squeak demonstrated on the Lab With Leo

Klaus D. Witzel
On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:42:08 +0100, Alex wrote:

> Randal L. Schwartz schrieb:
>> The episodes should air in the mid-January timeframe, so watch for them

That's a very good one, Randal :) Thank you (and Alex for the reminder).

Klaus> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:42:08 +0100, Alex wrote:
>> Randal L. Schwartz schrieb:
>>> The episodes should air in the mid-January timeframe, so watch for them

Klaus> That's a very good one, Randal :) Thank you (and Alex for the reminder).

Yeah, it was a lot of fun to do.  My drawing skills really leave a lot
to be desired, but at least it worked.

Live demos are often scary.