Squeak + iOS + wxWidgets

ccrraaiigg

Hi--

     Has anyone tried writing an iOS application using (the latest)
wxWidgets from Squeak? Was it interesting?

     thanks!

-C

--
Craig Latta
www.netjam.org/resume

Re: Squeak + iOS + wxWidgets

Bert Freudenberg
On 03.07.2011, at 19:30, Craig Latta wrote:

> Hi--
>
>     Has anyone tried writing an iOS application using (the latest)
> wxWidgets from Squeak?

Oh, I didn't know wx ran on iOS ... The only native iOS UIs for Squeak I know of are made using ObjectiveCBridge directly, and Mars.

John McIntosh went the first route. A couple of his Squeak apps in the App Store have native UIs. But he is a seasoned Mac developer. It's pretty much like native iOS programming, you have to know a lot about iOS internals.

I don't know about the current state of Mars. In his last blog entry Esteban wrote he wants to show something at ESUG.

        http://smallworks.com.ar/blogs/The+Martian+Chronicles/2011-03-14-The-fly-to-mars

But he didn't commit anything since March either so I guess it's currently on hold.

FWIW, has anyone tried to write *any* Squeak application on *any* platform with wxWidgets lately?

- Bert -

Re: Squeak + iOS + wxWidgets

EstebanLM
Hi,
afaik, wxWidgets project for squeak is a dead project.
Also, it needed a different virtual machine,sSo I don't think it will run on iOS without changing things to make it compile.
Also, there is the infamous "3.3.2 clause" which now is changed but is still there (that means: I don't know, if you succeed on running an application with wxWidgets, you will succeed on putting it at the apple store)

and about mars: it is advancing veeeeeeeery slowly. My paid work is consuming a lot of my time, and also there are issues with Alien implementation and the new Cog VM who are taking a lot of my time for mars... and the others involved with mars depends on this to start working.
But sooner or later it will be ready... and working also on non-mac machines :)

cheers,
Esteban

El 04/07/2011, a las 7:10a.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:

> On 03.07.2011, at 19:30, Craig Latta wrote:
>

>> Hi--
>>
>>    Has anyone tried writing an iOS application using (the latest)
>> wxWidgets from Squeak?
>
> Oh, I didn't know wx ran on iOS ... The only native iOS UIs for Squeak I know of are made using ObjectiveCBridge directly, and Mars.
>
> John McIntosh went the first route. A couple of his Squeak apps in the App Store have native UIs. But he is a seasoned Mac developer. It's pretty much like native iOS programming, you have to know a lot about iOS internals.
>
> I don't know about the current state of Mars. In his last blog entry Esteban wrote he wants to show something at ESUG.
>
> http://smallworks.com.ar/blogs/The+Martian+Chronicles/2011-03-14-The-fly-to-mars
>
> But he didn't commit anything since March either so I guess it's currently on hold.
>
> FWIW, has anyone tried to write *any* Squeak application on *any* platform with wxWidgets lately?
>
> - Bert -

Re: Squeak + iOS + wxWidgets

Bert Freudenberg
On 04.07.2011, at 14:42, Esteban Lorenzano wrote:

> Hi,
> afaik, wxWidgets project for squeak is a dead project.
> Also, it needed a different virtual machine,sSo I don't think it will run on iOS without changing things to make it compile.
> Also, there is the infamous "3.3.2 clause" which now is changed but is still there (that means: I don't know, if you succeed on running an application with wxWidgets, you will succeed on putting it at the apple store)

Please don't spread FUD. The 3.3.2 clause now only prohibits downloading code at runtime. It does not restrict the use of interpreters, nor the use of 3rd party libraries.

- Bert -

> and about mars: it is advancing veeeeeeeery slowly. My paid work is consuming a lot of my time, and also there are issues with Alien implementation and the new Cog VM who are taking a lot of my time for mars... and the others involved with mars depends on this to start working.
> But sooner or later it will be ready... and working also on non-mac machines :)
>
> cheers,
> Esteban
>
> El 04/07/2011, a las 7:10a.m., Bert Freudenberg escribió:
>
>> On 03.07.2011, at 19:30, Craig Latta wrote:
>>

>>> Hi--
>>>
>>>   Has anyone tried writing an iOS application using (the latest)
>>> wxWidgets from Squeak?
>>
>> Oh, I didn't know wx ran on iOS ... The only native iOS UIs for Squeak I know of are made using ObjectiveCBridge directly, and Mars.
>>
>> John McIntosh went the first route. A couple of his Squeak apps in the App Store have native UIs. But he is a seasoned Mac developer. It's pretty much like native iOS programming, you have to know a lot about iOS internals.
>>
>> I don't know about the current state of Mars. In his last blog entry Esteban wrote he wants to show something at ESUG.
>>
>> http://smallworks.com.ar/blogs/The+Martian+Chronicles/2011-03-14-The-fly-to-mars
>>
>> But he didn't commit anything since March either so I guess it's currently on hold.
>>
>> FWIW, has anyone tried to write *any* Squeak application on *any* platform with wxWidgets lately?
>>
>> - Bert -

Re: Squeak + iOS + wxWidgets

ccrraaiigg

Hi Esteban--

> afaik, wxWidgets project for squeak is a dead project.

     True, the release I found is from 2005, but I just tried it and it
worked great, and all the sources are there. I assume the iOS support in
the latest wxWidgets release works, too.

> Also, it needed a different virtual machine, so I don't think it will
> run on iOS without changing things to make it compile.

     That doesn't bother me. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta