Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

Elod Kironsky
Hi!

I curious if someone managed to run Squeak on a FreeBSD 6.0. I
downloaded the VM from the main site, but that install is for ver 4.x. I
installed it anyway, but get a error message that libutil.so not found
or something in that manner.

Elod

Re: Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

Takeshi MUTOH
Hi!
I'm squeak user using FreeBSD.

At Tue, 07 Mar 2006 10:40:34 +0100,
Elod Kironsky <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I curious if someone managed to run Squeak on a FreeBSD 6.0. I
> downloaded the VM from the main site, but that install is for ver 4.x. I
> installed it anyway, but get a error message that libutil.so not found
> or something in that manner.

I try to run it, too. But I don't accomplish it.

First, you must install compat4x library (misc/compat4x).
If you install it, but squeakland.org version VM for 4.8R can't run in
my FreeBSD 6.1-PRERELEASE environment.
I think it has some problem at plugin loading part.

By the way, how about using ports system?
Current FreeBSD lang/squeak port use 3.6-3 VM.

But I have 3.7-7 VM version of lang/squeak port for myself;-)

It add some improvement below:
- Better FFI plugin support
- Better web browser plugin
- XIM support (mainly for Japanese people)

If you try it, I'll send you.

Thanks.
Takeshi MUTOH <[hidden email]>

Re: Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

Elod Kironsky
Hi!

>By the way, how about using ports system?
>Current FreeBSD lang/squeak port use 3.6-3 VM.

Oh, I thought that the VM at squeak.org must be the latest version.
Somebody should
add a link to that port I think.

>But I have 3.7-7 VM version of lang/squeak port for myself;-)
>
>It add some improvement below:
>- Better FFI plugin support
>- Better web browser plugin
>- XIM support (mainly for Japanese people)
>
>If you try it, I'll send you.

I would be very interested in your VM port, please send a link or send
it in
attachment.

Thanks,

Elod

Re: Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

Takeshi MUTOH
Hi!!

At Tue, 07 Mar 2006 12:36:32 +0100,
Elod Kironsky <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >But I have 3.7-7 VM version of lang/squeak port for myself;-)
> >
> >It add some improvement below:
> >- Better FFI plugin support
> >- Better web browser plugin
> >- XIM support (mainly for Japanese people)
> >
> >If you try it, I'll send you.
> I would be very interested in your VM port, please send a link or send
> it in
> attachment.

Please try
        http://qml.610t.org/squeak/2.files/squeak-200602271.tar.gz

How to use:
0. Install FreeBSD standard ports tree.
1. Extract archive somewhere and go to squeak directory.
        > tar zxvf squeak-200602271.tar.gz
        > cd squeak/
2. Compile.
        > make
3. Install.
        > make install

Any comments are welcome.

Enjoy!!
Takeshi MUTOH <[hidden email]>

Re: Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

Elod Kironsky

>Please try
> http://qml.610t.org/squeak/2.files/squeak-200602271.tar.gz
>
>How to use:
>0. Install FreeBSD standard ports tree.
>1. Extract archive somewhere and go to squeak directory.
> > tar zxvf squeak-200602271.tar.gz
> > cd squeak/
>2. Compile.
> > make
>3. Install.
> > make install
>
>Any comments are welcome.
>
>Enjoy!!
>--
>Takeshi MUTOH <[hidden email]>

Many thanks, I will try it out.

Elod

Re: Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

David T. Lewis
On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 12:36:32PM +0100, Elod Kironsky wrote:
> Oh, I thought that the VM at squeak.org must be the latest version.
> Somebody should
> add a link to that port I think.

I'm not sure what the links at squeak.org point to, but as far as
I know the most up-to-date Unix VMs are at <http://squeakvm.org/unix/>.
There are binaries for FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, as well as
source if you prefer to compile it yourself.

Dave

Re: Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

timrowledge

On 7-Mar-06, at 3:43 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 12:36:32PM +0100, Elod Kironsky wrote:
>> Oh, I thought that the VM at squeak.org must be the latest version.
>> Somebody should
>> add a link to that port I think.
>
> I'm not sure what the links at squeak.org point to, but as far as
> I know the most up-to-date Unix VMs are at <http://squeakvm.org/
> unix/>.
> There are binaries for FreeBSD, NetBSD, and OpenBSD, as well as
> source if you prefer to compile it yourself.
The problem here is that the VMs on squeakvm.org are hopelessly out
of date. The 'recommended' source packages are equally out of date.
The *only* mainstream VMs that are built with up to date sources are
the OSX and RISC OS ones and I know that almost nobody cares about
the latter.

For goodness' sake, *3.7* based VMs? That's well before the 64-bit
clean related cleanups for example which means that the code is
getting tested on only a small fraction of machines.

tim
Useful Latin Phrases:- Raptus regaliter = Royally screwed

Re: Squeak on FreeBSD 6.0

Andrew Gaylard-2
tim Rowledge wrote:

> The problem here is that the VMs on squeakvm.org are hopelessly out
> of date. The 'recommended' source packages are equally out of date.
> The *only* mainstream VMs that are built with up to date sources are
> the OSX and RISC OS ones and I know that almost nobody cares about
> the latter.
>
> For goodness' sake, *3.7* based VMs? That's well before the 64-bit
> clean related cleanups for example which means that the code is
> getting tested on only a small fraction of machines.

I agree, but what's the alternative?

Must we all fetch the tree from the respository and build whatever
today's revision happens to be?

OK,perhaps I'm a bit cynical, but the last time I tried to build the
tree took 8 hours of fiddling, as opposed to under 5 minutes to compile
and install the -3.7 .tar.gz sources.  I really hope things are better
these days, since we're rapidly getting to the point where we *need* a
64-bit VM (our datasets are now beyond 1500MB).  So if you need anyone
to run some tests on a Solaris/SPARC/64-bit VM, just say the word...

Andrew.