Squeak on Mac OS X Sierra

yakovdk
OK, I've been watching for awhile now, since I upgraded to Sierra, and still can't find a Squeak package that will run.  I'm not the greatest Smalltalk genius, but it looks like the issue was solved in the Pharo community.  I can run theirs -- but I like Squeak!  Even if I run the nightly builds or the 6.0 alpha, it still fails.  When I run it, an icon appears in my dock, but there is no window.

I did search through the forum to see if I could find any solution, but the Pharo discussion is all that turns up for me -- maybe I missed it somehow.  I found:

This thread has a broken link to a VM that worked for one guy, but I can't find it now:
http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Does-Not-Run-on-MAC-OS-Sierra-td4918570.html#a4918576

This poor soul posted in December, but received no replies:
http://forum.world.st/Squeak-5-1-on-macOS-sierra-td4925827.html

Right now I have to run Squeak in a Linux VM.  I can't imagine I'm the only person to be having this problem -- is Mac OS X Sierra not a target platform for Squeak?  Should I just switch to Pharo?

Re: Squeak on Mac OS X Sierra

Jakob Reschke-2
Hi,

you need a newer VM, as answered here, for example:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41401327/squeak-doesnt-run-on-mac-os-sierra/41403340#41403340

The last decision that I know of is to only include a newer VM version
in the next release of Squeak and not update the current bundle.

Kind regards,
Jakob

> OK, I've been watching for awhile now, since I upgraded to Sierra, and still
> can't find a Squeak package that will run.  I'm not the greatest Smalltalk
> genius, but it looks like the issue was solved in the Pharo community.  I
> can run theirs -- but I like Squeak!  Even if I run the nightly builds or
> the 6.0 alpha, it still fails.  When I run it, an icon appears in my dock,
> but there is no window.
>
> I did search through the forum to see if I could find any solution, but the
> Pharo discussion is all that turns up for me -- maybe I missed it somehow.
> I found:
>
> This thread has a broken link to a VM that worked for one guy, but I can't
> find it now:
> http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Does-Not-Run-on-MAC-OS-Sierra-td4918570.html#a4918576
>
> This poor soul posted in December, but received no replies:
> http://forum.world.st/Squeak-5-1-on-macOS-sierra-td4925827.html
>
> Right now I have to run Squeak in a Linux VM.  I can't imagine I'm the only
> person to be having this problem -- is Mac OS X Sierra not a target platform
> for Squeak?  Should I just switch to Pharo?

Re: Squeak on Mac OS X Sierra

Jakob Reschke-2
Since this comes up repeatedly, it might be helpful to add a note to
the Mac OS download on squeak.org.

> you need a newer VM, as answered here, for example:
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41401327/squeak-doesnt-run-on-mac-os-sierra/41403340#41403340
>
> The last decision that I know of is to only include a newer VM version
> in the next release of Squeak and not update the current bundle.
>
> Kind regards,
> Jakob

>> OK, I've been watching for awhile now, since I upgraded to Sierra, and still
>> can't find a Squeak package that will run.  I'm not the greatest Smalltalk
>> genius, but it looks like the issue was solved in the Pharo community.  I
>> can run theirs -- but I like Squeak!  Even if I run the nightly builds or
>> the 6.0 alpha, it still fails.  When I run it, an icon appears in my dock,
>> but there is no window.
>>
>> I did search through the forum to see if I could find any solution, but the
>> Pharo discussion is all that turns up for me -- maybe I missed it somehow.
>> I found:
>>
>> This thread has a broken link to a VM that worked for one guy, but I can't
>> find it now:
>> http://forum.world.st/Squeak-Does-Not-Run-on-MAC-OS-Sierra-td4918570.html#a4918576
>>
>> This poor soul posted in December, but received no replies:
>> http://forum.world.st/Squeak-5-1-on-macOS-sierra-td4925827.html
>>
>> Right now I have to run Squeak in a Linux VM.  I can't imagine I'm the only
>> person to be having this problem -- is Mac OS X Sierra not a target platform
>> for Squeak?  Should I just switch to Pharo?

Re: Squeak on Mac OS X Sierra

yakovdk
Ah, OK -- I didn't even think to search Stack Overflow for the answer.  I'll remember that for next time.

For the record, I had to do this (in case someone else finds this post searching for the answer):

1. Download newer VM from https://bintray.com/opensmalltalk/vm/cog/
2. Download current image and sources from http://squeak.org/downloads/
3. Start newer VM and choose .image file

Anyway, now I'm up and running, so thanks for the help!

BTW, if it's going to be months before the next release or something, I agree that some info in a place where a new user might actually find it would be a good idea!