Squeak on PDA

Lord ZealoN
Hi at all

I would like run squeak in my HP iPaq 4150.

THe SqueakVM i found is in this link:

But with some problems:

- The first image link is broken.
- The others is greater than screen and not usable.
- The VM is Squeak 3.1

Somebody is developing or using squeak in PDA?

Cheers.

Re: Squeak on PDA

Noury Bouraqadi
Hi ,
Le 20 févr. 06, à 16:43, Lord Zealon a écrit :

> Hi at all
>
> I would like run squeak in my HP iPaq 4150.
>
> THe SqueakVM i found is in this link:
>
>  http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/WinCE/
>
> But with some problems:
>
> - The first image link is broken.
> - The others is greater than screen and not usable.

No problem. Open the image on your laptop or desktop computer, resize
the window and save it.
Then transfer the image and open it on your PDA.

> - The VM is Squeak 3.1
>
> Somebody is developing or using squeak in PDA?

Together with people from Douai, I made some experiment.
The VM is tagged alpha. So, it is supposed incomplete.
For instance, there is no socket support.

Noury
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

Re: Squeak on PDA

Yoshiki Ohshima
  Hello,

> > - The VM is Squeak 3.1
> >
> > Somebody is developing or using squeak in PDA?
> >

> Together with people from Douai, I made some experiment.
> The VM is tagged alpha. So, it is supposed incomplete.
> For instance, there is no socket support.

  Hmm.  I used to do socket programming with the VM on Pocket PC (iPAQ
3600 and friends.)  Some things may have changed since then, though...

  And, no.  I haven't updated the VM.  Sorry.

-- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak on PDA

Noury Bouraqadi
Guillaume,

Would you like explain what was the problem with socket on PocketPC ?

Noury
Le 20 févr. 06, à 22:50, Yoshiki Ohshima a écrit :

>   Hello,
>
>>> - The VM is Squeak 3.1
>>>
>>> Somebody is developing or using squeak in PDA?
>>>

>> Together with people from Douai, I made some experiment.
>> The VM is tagged alpha. So, it is supposed incomplete.
>> For instance, there is no socket support.
>
>   Hmm.  I used to do socket programming with the VM on Pocket PC (iPAQ
> 3600 and friends.)  Some things may have changed since then, though...
>
>   And, no.  I haven't updated the VM.  Sorry.
>
> -- Yoshiki

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

Re: Squeak on PDA

dpharris
I just discovered you can boot Linux on an IPod Nano--

does this mean I can run Squeak on a Nano?

David

Lord Zealon wrote:

> Hi at all
>
> I would like run squeak in my HP iPaq 4150.

Re: Squeak on PDA

Jon Hylands
On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 21:43:49 +0100, Noury Bouraqadi
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Together with people from Douai, I made some experiment.
> The VM is tagged alpha. So, it is supposed incomplete.
> For instance, there is no socket support.

I've certainly done socket stuff on a Dell Axim PDA (XScale) using this VM,
and it worked just fine...

Later,
Jon
   Jon Hylands      [hidden email]      http://www.huv.com/jon

           http://www.huv.com

re: Squeak on PDA

ccrraaiigg

        Jon writes:

 > > [Noury writes:]
 > >
 > > Together with people from Douai, I made some experiment.
 > > The VM is tagged alpha. So, it is supposed incomplete.
 > > For instance, there is no socket support.
 >
 > I've certainly done socket stuff on a Dell Axim PDA (XScale) using
 > this VM, and it worked just fine...

        And for what it's worth, I have Spoon running on an iPAQ 3650. So Flow
runs there; I can open remote system browsers in either direction
between the iPAQ and larger machines, etc.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist

Re: Squeak on PDA

Tom Phoenix
On 2/20/06, David P Harris <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I just discovered you can boot Linux on an IPod Nano--
>
> does this mean I can run Squeak on a Nano?

If you're willing to call what the Nano runs "Linux," I don't see why
you can't call another thing "Squeak". :-)

--Tom

Re: Squeak on PDA

Guillaume Grondin
Hello,

The error was a failure of the primitive
 Socket>>primSocket:sendUDPData:toHost:port:startIndex:count:

****** Socket>>sendUDPData:toHost:port: ******

sendUDPData: t1 toHost: t2 port: t3
    | t4 t5 t6 |
    t4 := t1 size.
    t5 := 0.
    [t5 < t4]
        whileTrue: [(self waitForSendDoneFor: 20)
                ifFalse: [ConnectionTimedOut signal: 'send data timeout;
data not sent'].
            t6 := self
                        primSocket: socketHandle
                        sendUDPData: t1
                        toHost: t2
                        port: t3
                        startIndex: t5 + 1
                        count: t4 - t5.
            t5 := t5 + t6].
    ^ t5

However, it seems that there is no failure anymore when using sendData:
instead of sendUDPData.

Guillaume

Noury Bouraqadi wrote:

> Guillaume,
>
> Would you like explain what was the problem with socket on PocketPC ?
>
> Noury
> Le 20 févr. 06, à 22:50, Yoshiki Ohshima a écrit :
>
>>   Hello,

>>> Together with people from Douai, I made some experiment.
>>> The VM is tagged alpha. So, it is supposed incomplete.
>>> For instance, there is no socket support.
>>
>>   Hmm.  I used to do socket programming with the VM on Pocket PC (iPAQ
>> 3600 and friends.)  Some things may have changed since then, though...
>>
>>   And, no.  I haven't updated the VM.  Sorry.
>>
>> -- Yoshiki

> Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
> Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury
>
> European Smalltalk Users Group Board
> http://www.esug.org
>
> Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
> http://www.squeak.org

Guillaume Grondin
Elève-Chercheur en Informatique
Département GIP, Ecole des Mines de Douai
941, rue Charles Bourseul
BP 10838 - 59508 Douai Cedex
Tél : (+33) (0) 3 27 71 24 53
Fax : (+33) (0) 3 27 71 29 17
Email: [hidden email]

Re: Squeak on PDA

Noury Bouraqadi
So, actually, it looks like there are a couple of methods related to
UDP (sendUDPData / receiveUDPData) that does not run correctly. Michaël
spent a lot of time trying to find this out.

BTW, the context is about ad hoc networks, service discovery, group
multi-cast (IGMP based)...
We (Douai's team) will make an annoucement soon. So, keep reading
squeak-dev ;-)

Noury
Le 21 févr. 06, à 12:33, Guillaume Grondin a écrit :

> Hello,
>
> The error was a failure of the primitive
> Socket>>primSocket:sendUDPData:toHost:port:startIndex:count:
>
> ****** Socket>>sendUDPData:toHost:port: ******
>
> sendUDPData: t1 toHost: t2 port: t3
>    | t4 t5 t6 |
>    t4 := t1 size.
>    t5 := 0.
>    [t5 < t4]
>        whileTrue: [(self waitForSendDoneFor: 20)
>                ifFalse: [ConnectionTimedOut signal: 'send data
> timeout; data not sent'].
>            t6 := self
>                        primSocket: socketHandle
>                        sendUDPData: t1
>                        toHost: t2
>                        port: t3
>                        startIndex: t5 + 1
>                        count: t4 - t5.
>            t5 := t5 + t6].
>    ^ t5
>
> However, it seems that there is no failure anymore when using
> sendData: instead of sendUDPData.
>
> Guillaume
>
> Noury Bouraqadi wrote:
>> Guillaume,
>>
>> Would you like explain what was the problem with socket on PocketPC ?
>>
>> Noury
>> Le 20 févr. 06, à 22:50, Yoshiki Ohshima a écrit :
>>
>>>   Hello,

>>>   Hmm.  I used to do socket programming with the VM on Pocket PC
>>> (iPAQ
>>> 3600 and friends.)  Some things may have changed since then,
>>> though...
>>>
>>>   And, no.  I haven't updated the VM.  Sorry.
>>>
>>> -- Yoshiki

>> Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
>> Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
>> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury
>>
>> European Smalltalk Users Group Board
>> http://www.esug.org
>>
>> Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
>> http://www.squeak.org

> Guillaume Grondin
> Elève-Chercheur en Informatique
> Département GIP, Ecole des Mines de Douai
> 941, rue Charles Bourseul
> BP 10838 - 59508 Douai Cedex
> Tél : (+33) (0) 3 27 71 24 53
> Fax : (+33) (0) 3 27 71 29 17
> Email: [hidden email]

Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

Re: Squeak on PDA

Lord ZealoN
>> Together with people from Douai, I made some experiment.
>> The VM is tagged alpha. So, it is supposed incomplete.
>> For instance, there is no socket support.
>
>I've certainly done socket stuff on a Dell Axim PDA (XScale) using this VM,
>and it worked just fine...

But what i need to run squeak in my ipaq? As i mentioned, it runs very big, and i don't know how change this. Somebody can send me an image that runs good?

More to this. WHat is the better place to install to get the better performance? VM in main memory and image in Slot? all in slot? all in main memory?

Thanks you.

Re: Squeak on PDA

Michaël Piel
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 21:32:37 +0100
Noury Bouraqadi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So, actually, it looks like there are a couple of methods related to
> UDP (sendUDPData / receiveUDPData) that does not run correctly. Michaël
> spent a lot of time trying to find this out.

Yes, there is a bug in the SocketPlugin of the Win32 VM for the method Socket>>receiveUDPDataInto:. I've just reported this issue to mantis (http://bugs.impara.de/view.php?id=3035).

Concerning PDA, the WinCE VM is an old 3.1alpha and some methods (like receiveUDPDataInto:, sendData:toHost:port: and setOption:value:) are not implemented.

> BTW, the context is about ad hoc networks, service discovery, group
> multi-cast (IGMP based)...
> We (Douai's team) will make an annoucement soon. So, keep reading
> squeak-dev ;-)
>
> Noury
> Le 21 févr. 06, à 12:33, Guillaume Grondin a écrit :
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > The error was a failure of the primitive
> > Socket>>primSocket:sendUDPData:toHost:port:startIndex:count:
> >
> > ****** Socket>>sendUDPData:toHost:port: ******
> >
> > sendUDPData: t1 toHost: t2 port: t3
> >    | t4 t5 t6 |
> >    t4 := t1 size.
> >    t5 := 0.
> >    [t5 < t4]
> >        whileTrue: [(self waitForSendDoneFor: 20)
> >                ifFalse: [ConnectionTimedOut signal: 'send data
> > timeout; data not sent'].
> >            t6 := self
> >                        primSocket: socketHandle
> >                        sendUDPData: t1
> >                        toHost: t2
> >                        port: t3
> >                        startIndex: t5 + 1
> >                        count: t4 - t5.
> >            t5 := t5 + t6].
> >    ^ t5
> >
> > However, it seems that there is no failure anymore when using
> > sendData: instead of sendUDPData.
> >
> > Guillaume
> >
> > Noury Bouraqadi wrote:
> >> Guillaume,
> >>
> >> Would you like explain what was the problem with socket on PocketPC ?
> >>
> >> Noury

> >> Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
> >> Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
> >> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury
> >>
> >> European Smalltalk Users Group Board
> >> http://www.esug.org
> >>
> >> Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
> >> http://www.squeak.org
> >>

> > --
> > Guillaume Grondin
> > Elève-Chercheur en Informatique
> > Département GIP, Ecole des Mines de Douai
> > 941, rue Charles Bourseul
> > BP 10838 - 59508 Douai Cedex
> > Tél : (+33) (0) 3 27 71 24 53
> > Fax : (+33) (0) 3 27 71 29 17
> > Email: [hidden email]

> Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
> Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
> http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury
>
> European Smalltalk Users Group Board
> http://www.esug.org
>
> Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
> http://www.squeak.org

Re: Squeak on PDA

Noury Bouraqadi

Le 22 févr. 06, à 09:12, Lord Zealon a écrit :

> >> Together with people from Douai, I made some experiment.
> >> The VM is tagged alpha. So, it is supposed incomplete.
> >> For instance, there is no socket support.
> >
> >I've certainly done socket stuff on a Dell Axim PDA (XScale) using
> this VM,
> >and it worked just fine...
>
> But what i need to run squeak in my ipaq? As i mentioned, it runs very
> big, and i don't know how change this. Somebody can send me an image
> that runs good?

You don't need a "special" image. Just open your image on your computer
and put morph or views you're willing to use on your pda at the top
left most corner. Then save and quit.
Of course, your views need to be small enough to fit into the PDA
screen.
BTW, don't forget to make a button for quitting. It's very useful,
otherwise, you'll need to
scroll somhow (with the keyboard usually) the world menu...

BTW, your image should not be more than 12 MBytes. It's a maximum that
is hardcoded into the VM for some reason.
Can someone explain why we have this? Can't we remove it?
Dr. Noury Bouraqadi - Enseignant/Chercheur
Ecole des Mines de Douai - Dept. G.I.P
http://csl.ensm-douai.fr/noury

European Smalltalk Users Group Board
http://www.esug.org

Squeak: an Open Source Smalltalk
http://www.squeak.org

Re: Squeak on PDA

Yoshiki Ohshima
> BTW, your image should not be more than 12 MBytes. It's a maximum that
> is hardcoded into the VM for some reason.
> Can someone explain why we have this? Can't we remove it?

  Back in time, Windows CE had (has?) 32MB segmented memory model.
The 32MB was shared with binary text and data and (if I remember
correctly) OS, and with some trial and error, I found that 12MB seemed
the upper limit for Squeak image.

  Later I added the backing store mechanism, If there is some external
storage, a memory mapped file can be created on the storage and
somehow that memory object can be bigger than 12MB.

  I'm not sure about the Windows Mobile.  I might imagine that 12MB is
small for today's Windows Mobile apps, so they might have lifed the limit...

-- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak on PDA

Michaël Piel
Hello,

We (Guillaume and I) have spent some time to try to recompile the VM from the sources (http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/WinCE/030206/Squeak3.1alpha6-030206.tar.gz) but we didn't succeed in it. The visual studio project included in the sources fails at compiling.
Does anyone managed to do it or know how to recompile this VM ?

Michael

On Mon, 20 Feb 2006 13:50:28 -0800
Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]> wrote:

>   Hello,
>
> > > - The VM is Squeak 3.1
> > >
> > > Somebody is developing or using squeak in PDA?
> > >

> > Together with people from Douai, I made some experiment.
> > The VM is tagged alpha. So, it is supposed incomplete.
> > For instance, there is no socket support.
>
>   Hmm.  I used to do socket programming with the VM on Pocket PC (iPAQ
> 3600 and friends.)  Some things may have changed since then, though...
>
>   And, no.  I haven't updated the VM.  Sorry.
>
> -- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak on PDA

Yoshiki Ohshima
  Hello,

> We (Guillaume and I) have spent some time to try to recompile the VM from the sources (http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/WinCE/030206/Squeak3.1alpha6-030206.tar.gz) but we didn't succeed in it. The visual studio project included in the sources fails at compiling.
> Does anyone managed to do it or know how to recompile this VM ?

  Probaly, the easiest thing is to get a copy of eVC 3.0 from
somewhere.  It was freely distributed by Microsoft via net and CD-ROM,
so somebody should have it.

  Otherwise, you do need to edit the source code.  Shouldn't be a too
big deal, but still some sizable work.

  Don't blame me (too much).  It is a Microsoft thingy!  (No, sorry.
Once I needed to do it for some reason, I'm pretty sure I would do it...)

-- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak on PDA

Lord ZealoN
I'm trying to get a good image for run in my pda.

The process will be:

Size of screen -> Change fonts sizes - remove "unusual" packages for pda - "save it"

:Size of screen:
  The first thing i tried is to put the image in fullscreen mode, but then, i can't show the keyboard.

Exists any package thath show a keyb in screen? or

2006/3/13, Yoshiki Ohshima <[hidden email]>:
Hello,

> We (Guillaume and I) have spent some time to try to recompile the VM from the sources ( http://www.is.titech.ac.jp/~ohshima/squeak/WinCE/030206/Squeak3.1alpha6-030206.tar.gz) but we didn't succeed in it. The visual studio project included in the sources fails at compiling.
> Does anyone managed to do it or know how to recompile this VM ?

Probaly, the easiest thing is to get a copy of eVC 3.0 from
somewhere.  It was freely distributed by Microsoft via net and CD-ROM,
so somebody should have it.

Otherwise, you do need to edit the source code.  Shouldn't be a too
big deal, but still some sizable work.

Don't blame me (too much).  It is a Microsoft thingy!  (No, sorry.
Once I needed to do it for some reason, I'm pretty sure I would do it...)

-- Yoshiki

Re: Squeak on PDA (slight hijack)

Blake-5
On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:38:02 -0800, Lord ZealoN <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I'm trying to get a good image for run in my pda.

Is there anyone running Squeak on a PDA? Which one(s)?

I may be getting one for C# development testing; it'd be nice if it
weren't completely useless. ;)