Previous Topic Next Topic

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Squeak on iOS at last?

Casey Ransberger-2
When I heard that Apple was competing with Surface Pro I went looking for the only feature of the Surface Pro that I wanted in Apple's new tablet: side loading.

It looks like Apple has dropped the $99 a year for not even necessarily selling anything on the App Store requirement. It's not exactly side-loading, because end users would still have to build the VM from C sources in Xcode before installing it, but it's something.

The upshot is, since we can't ship via app-store, we can do a source distribution and get around the stupid App Store rules that hate us so. Thus, we don't have to rely on weird flaky crap like jailbreaks or have a guy paying for a dev account out of the goodness of his heart to distribute test keys for the system to those brave enough to run it without a proper touch interface.

I may buy another iPad yet.

Guessing most people familiar with the sitch are probably up to date, but for anyone who missed this detail, Casey to the rescue.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/10/xcode-7-allows-anyone-to-download-build-and-sideload-ios-apps-for-free/
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Squeak on iOS at last?

Javier Diaz-Reinoso
I am also interested in this, so I wasted a few days and finally have a (original) Squeak 4.1 image working in mi old iPad 2:
the clock works, but that is all, I can’t enter anything, I know I need modifications in the image, but before I spend more days in this, can any people who knows send me advice and perhaps a change set with the modifications?

On Sep 11, 2015, at 00:59, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

When I heard that Apple was competing with Surface Pro I went looking for the only feature of the Surface Pro that I wanted in Apple's new tablet: side loading.

It looks like Apple has dropped the $99 a year for not even necessarily selling anything on the App Store requirement. It's not exactly side-loading, because end users would still have to build the VM from C sources in Xcode before installing it, but it's something.

The upshot is, since we can't ship via app-store, we can do a source distribution and get around the stupid App Store rules that hate us so. Thus, we don't have to rely on weird flaky crap like jailbreaks or have a guy paying for a dev account out of the goodness of his heart to distribute test keys for the system to those brave enough to run it without a proper touch interface.

Guessing most people familiar with the sitch are probably up to date, but for anyone who missed this detail, Casey to the rescue.

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/10/xcode-7-allows-anyone-to-download-build-and-sideload-ios-apps-for-free/

Reply | Threaded
|

Edgar De Cleene
Re: [squeak-dev] Squeak on iOS at last? I have in some place a Etoys image with Bert changes which runs in old jailbreak iPad and let some touch command by the user.
If now is ok have some like this on the modern iPad its a very good news

On 9/20/15, 8:40 PM, "Javier Diaz-Reinoso" <[hidden email]> wrote:

I am also interested in this, so I wasted a few days and finally have a (original) Squeak 4.1 image working in mi old iPad 2:

the clock works, but that is all, I can’t enter anything, I know I need modifications in the image, but before I spend more days in this, can any people who knows send me advice and perhaps a change set with the modifications?

On Sep 11, 2015, at 00:59, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

Russell N Hyer
In reply to this post by Casey Ransberger-2
Thanks Casey for this, that's great news, both for Squeak progress and for general Mac work (I may yet be able to get some work done on my new Apple devices :))

Thanks,

Russ

On 11 September 2015 at 06:59, Casey Ransberger <[hidden email]> wrote:

Reply | Threaded
|

Bert Freudenberg
In reply to this post by Javier Diaz-Reinoso
On 21.09.2015, at 01:40, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:

<Photo on 9-20-15 at 18.31.jpeg>

Nice!

You can dig around on John McIntosh’s site but I don’t think there’s a comprehensible set of changes yet.

What I did years ago was adding image-side support for multi-touch, plus an on-screen alt key [*]. That’s not strictly necessary though, the VM could (and IMHO should) generate mouse events itself. Still, you need a way to bring up the keyboard (which I ‘solved’ back then by hacking the VM to show the keyboard when rotating to portrait orientation).

The proper way to do this (IMHO) would be by implementing an IMM plugin for iOS just like we have for X11 etc. Morphic calls a plugin function whenever a text input field gets focused, which could be used to trigger the keyboard. But AFAIK nobody has gone that route yet, instead relying on the ObjectiveCBridge plugin to call OS functions directly.

Your best bet if you want to avoid doing it yourself would be contacting the makers of Pyonkee, the most complex Squeak app in the Apple App Store yet. There is also DrGeo, for which Esteban did the VM work. And since all this is still pretty experimental, continuing this discussion on the VM dev list would be a good idea :)

- Bert -

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
|

Javier Diaz-Reinoso
On Sep 22, 2015, at 07:39, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice!

You can dig around on John McIntosh’s site but I don’t think there’s a comprehensible set of changes yet.

I find the file miPhone-Events-EstebanLorenzano.25.mcz who contains your code and code from John McIntosh and Esteban Lorenzano and others, that file don’t load in Squeak, I suppose is for Pharo, but with selective copy-paste I have now a working UI.

What I did years ago was adding image-side support for multi-touch, plus an on-screen alt key [*]. That’s not strictly necessary though, the VM could (and IMHO should) generate mouse events itself. Still, you need a way to bring up the keyboard (which I ‘solved’ back then by hacking the VM to show the keyboard when rotating to portrait orientation).

The proper way to do this (IMHO) would be by implementing an IMM plugin for iOS just like we have for X11 etc. Morphic calls a plugin function whenever a text input field gets focused, which could be used to trigger the keyboard. But AFAIK nobody has gone that route yet, instead relying on the ObjectiveCBridge plugin to call OS functions directly.

Your best bet if you want to avoid doing it yourself would be contacting the makers of Pyonkee, the most complex Squeak app in the Apple App Store yet. There is also DrGeo, for which Esteban did the VM work. And since all this is still pretty experimental, continuing this discussion on the VM dev list would be a good idea :)

- Bert -

I find in a Pharo repository the folder IOSPlugin who is used in DrGeo, is very small but works, in the .mcz is some code to call the plugin from TextMorph>>wantsKeyboardFocus who also is not in Squeak, but inserting the line in TextMorphForEditView>>keyboardFocusChange: is now possible to simple click in a Workspace or Browser and the keyboard appears.

Apart from a few fixes I am not really changing the VM, is only in the image. The most desirable change in the VM I think is changing to Cog more speed is always best.

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

On 23-09-2015, at 1:17 PM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Apart from a few fixes I am not really changing the VM, is only in the image. The most desirable change in the VM I think is changing to Cog more speed is always best.
>
That’ll be a bit of work; the iThings are all ARM64 rather than ARM32. The instruction set is quite different. You *might* find the Apple cpus have the ARM32 handling enabled though.

tim
--
tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
Spell checkers at maximum!  Fire!

Reply | Threaded
|

Javier Diaz-Reinoso
Not all, the old iPad2 I am using is 32 bits.

I tested in an iPad mini 2 (64 bits) and have a crash in  longAtPointerput, I think is because int (aka sqInt) is different in 32 and 64 bits, Xcode generate a fat binary with armv7 and arm64 architectures.

> On Sep 23, 2015, at 15:43, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> On 23-09-2015, at 1:17 PM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Apart from a few fixes I am not really changing the VM, is only in the image. The most desirable change in the VM I think is changing to Cog more speed is always best.
>>
> That’ll be a bit of work; the iThings are all ARM64 rather than ARM32. The instruction set is quite different. You *might* find the Apple cpus have the ARM32 handling enabled though.
>
> tim
> --
> tim Rowledge; [hidden email]; http://www.rowledge.org/tim
> Spell checkers at maximum!  Fire!
>
>
>

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 23-09-2015, at 4:05 PM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not all, the old iPad2 I am using is 32 bits.

But… but.. I thought Apple were supposed to use EeeevilAppleRays to blow up old hardware to force the sheeple to buy More! New!  Hardware!

tim
--
Useful random insult:- One chip short of a cookie.

Reply | Threaded
|

re: Squeak on iOS at last?

ccrraaiigg

> I thought Apple were supposed to use EeeevilAppleRays to blow up old
> hardware to force the sheeple to buy More! New! Hardware!

Nope, those sheeple buy plenty of other Apple things while they use
their Old! Obsolete! Hardware! (maybe even something from iTunes now and
then), and for the moment Apple would rather not drive them away.
Meanwhile the bleeding-edgers get to use a horrible new font. :)

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Reply | Threaded
|

timrowledge

> On 24-09-2015, at 1:01 AM, Craig Latta <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> I thought Apple were supposed to use EeeevilAppleRays to blow up old
>> hardware to force the sheeple to buy More! New! Hardware!
>
>     Nope, those sheeple buy plenty of other Apple things while they use
> their Old! Obsolete! Hardware! (maybe even something from iTunes now and
> then), and for the moment Apple would rather not drive them away.

But that doesn’t fit the Hater Narrative! Maybe if we’re lucky their heads will implode.

> Meanwhile the bleeding-edgers get to use a horrible new font. :)
Urgh, yes. I finally got around to updating my iMac to yosemite yesterday and that is rather annoying. And just who thought that making a large lump of spotlight materialise in the middle of the display was a good idea? Sigh. I may have to use the Top Secret RCA Alumni Underground to have Words with Jony.

tim
--
Strange OpCodes: SDL: Shift Disk Left

Reply | Threaded
|

re: Squeak on iOS at last?

ccrraaiigg

> > Meanwhile the bleeding-edgers get to use a horrible new font. :)
>
> Urgh, yes. I finally got around to updating my iMac to yosemite
> yesterday and that is rather annoying.

Oh, no, the Yosemite font is great. I meant the El Capitan font. :)

> And just who thought that making a large lump of spotlight
> materialise in the middle of the display was a good idea?

Oh, I do! Hey, this is great: they're doomed no matter what they do
(unless, of course, they were to add a few dozen more preferences settings).

-C

--
Craig Latta
netjam.org
+31   6 2757 7177 (SMS ok)
+ 1 415  287 3547 (no SMS)

Reply | Threaded
|

johnmci
In reply to this post by Javier Diaz-Reinoso
Some one should feed me any source code changes for this, and I"ll look at integration into the cog branch(es) 

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Javier Diaz-Reinoso <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sep 22, 2015, at 07:39, Bert Freudenberg <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice!

I find the file miPhone-Events-EstebanLorenzano.25.mcz who contains your code and code from John McIntosh and Esteban Lorenzano and others, that file don’t load in Squeak, I suppose is for Pharo, but with selective copy-paste I have now a working UI.

- Bert -

I find in a Pharo repository the folder IOSPlugin who is used in DrGeo, is very small but works, in the .mcz is some code to call the plugin from TextMorph>>wantsKeyboardFocus who also is not in Squeak, but inserting the line in TextMorphForEditView>>keyboardFocusChange: is now possible to simple click in a Workspace or Browser and the keyboard appears.

Apart from a few fixes I am not really changing the VM, is only in the image. The most desirable change in the VM I think is changing to Cog more speed is always best.

--
===========================================================================
John M. McIntosh. Corporate Smalltalk Consulting Ltd https://www.linkedin.com/in/smalltalk
===========================================================================