Squeak on iPad (2)

Torsten Bergmann
More here:

http://croquetweak.blogspot.com/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html

  "Morphic was designed to handle multiple "hands" (pointing devices)
   from the beginning"

I hope we didnt remove that while cleaning morphic, so Pharo
could also be made multitouch-aware.

Bye
T.

Re: Squeak on iPad (2)

Fernando olivero
The model is still there,  see for example PasteUpMorph>>addHand: aHandMorph.

The challenge is  creating and triggering the necessary events from the vm.

This would be excellent to have in Pharo.

Fernando

On Jun 15, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:

> More here:
>
> http://croquetweak.blogspot.com/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html
>
>  "Morphic was designed to handle multiple "hands" (pointing devices)
>   from the beginning"
>
> I hope we didnt remove that while cleaning morphic, so Pharo
> could also be made multitouch-aware.
>
> Bye
> T.
>
> --
> GMX DSL: Internet-, Telefon- und Handy-Flat ab 19,99 EUR/mtl.
> Bis zu 150 EUR Startguthaben inklusive! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Squeak on iPad (2)

Stéphane Ducasse
What I would do
        - ask alain for the event hierarchy that he extracted from sophie (because they are better for handling
        a lot of situation and mike redesign them with mulitouch in mind.
        - check the new event system that was put in place by mike during the clean he did.

Stef

On Jun 15, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> The model is still there,  see for example PasteUpMorph>>addHand: aHandMorph.
>
> The challenge is  creating and triggering the necessary events from the vm.
>
> This would be excellent to have in Pharo.
>
> Fernando
>

> On Jun 15, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>
>> More here:
>>
>> http://croquetweak.blogspot.com/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html
>>
>> "Morphic was designed to handle multiple "hands" (pointing devices)
>>  from the beginning"
>>
>> I hope we didnt remove that while cleaning morphic, so Pharo
>> could also be made multitouch-aware.
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>
>> --
>> GMX DSL: Internet-, Telefon- und Handy-Flat ab 19,99 EUR/mtl.
>> Bis zu 150 EUR Startguthaben inklusive! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Re: Squeak on iPad (2)

cedreek
I just tested etoys on the ipad (Bert version). For those interested, send me an email. I'll try to get a Pharo version on it too.

That's already very cool but we need to think about a better way to handle the different events.
We need event like n-fingers, pinch in and out, etc... Also, we need to build specific tools.

That would be cool to discuss that in Barcelona...

My 2 cents,

2010/6/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
What I would do
       - ask alain for the event hierarchy that he extracted from sophie (because they are better for handling
       a lot of situation and mike redesign them with mulitouch in mind.
       - check the new event system that was put in place by mike during the clean he did.

Stef

On Jun 15, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:

> The model is still there,  see for example PasteUpMorph>>addHand: aHandMorph.
>
> The challenge is  creating and triggering the necessary events from the vm.
>
> This would be excellent to have in Pharo.
>
> Fernando
>

> On Jun 15, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>
>> More here:
>>
>> http://croquetweak.blogspot.com/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html
>>
>> "Morphic was designed to handle multiple "hands" (pointing devices)
>>  from the beginning"
>>
>> I hope we didnt remove that while cleaning morphic, so Pharo
>> could also be made multitouch-aware.
>>
>> Bye
>> T.
>>
>> --
>> GMX DSL: Internet-, Telefon- und Handy-Flat ab 19,99 EUR/mtl.
>> Bis zu 150 EUR Startguthaben inklusive! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

Cédrick

Re: Squeak on iPad (2)

Stéphane Ducasse
how did you get an ipad :)

On Jun 16, 2010, at 11:33 AM, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> I just tested etoys on the ipad (Bert version). For those interested, send me an email. I'll try to get a Pharo version on it too.
>
> That's already very cool but we need to think about a better way to handle the different events.
> We need event like n-fingers, pinch in and out, etc... Also, we need to build specific tools.
>
> That would be cool to discuss that in Barcelona...
>
> My 2 cents,
>
> 2010/6/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> What I would do
>        - ask alain for the event hierarchy that he extracted from sophie (because they are better for handling
>        a lot of situation and mike redesign them with mulitouch in mind.
>        - check the new event system that was put in place by mike during the clean he did.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jun 15, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>
> > The model is still there,  see for example PasteUpMorph>>addHand: aHandMorph.
> >
> > The challenge is  creating and triggering the necessary events from the vm.
> >
> > This would be excellent to have in Pharo.
> >
> > Fernando
> >

> > On Jun 15, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> >
> >> More here:
> >>
> >> http://croquetweak.blogspot.com/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html
> >>
> >> "Morphic was designed to handle multiple "hands" (pointing devices)
> >>  from the beginning"
> >>
> >> I hope we didnt remove that while cleaning morphic, so Pharo
> >> could also be made multitouch-aware.
> >>
> >> Bye
> >> T.
> >>
> >> --
> >> GMX DSL: Internet-, Telefon- und Handy-Flat ab 19,99 EUR/mtl.
> >> Bis zu 150 EUR Startguthaben inklusive! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

> Cédrick

Re: Squeak on iPad (2)

cedreek
how did you get an ipad :)

US origin, it was a bit cheaper and I wanted to try it out...  :)

Whatever what can be said, I like it. 10hours battery life, 1 second wake up, great finger interface...

My wish now is to have a Smalltalk on it... This is close, at least the machinery is working (VM) but we really need to have better suited tools (browsers, commands, etc...). This is probably not complicated technically speaking but it needs a lots of analysis. We should consider what is taking advantage of all sensors and find a coherent way to marry them.

-1, 2, 3 and more finger single and double touches,
-swipe in and out,
-screen orientation
-mouvements like shakes
-etc, etc...

Also, do we use an image that take care of everything or do we interface it (headless) with some ObjC/Cocoa applications (browsers, workspaces, etc...)

I think this would be great to have a workshop to discuss on that and I think this goes beyond iOS.

My 2 cents,

On Jun 16, 2010, at 11:33 AM, Cédrick Béler wrote:

> I just tested etoys on the ipad (Bert version). For those interested, send me an email. I'll try to get a Pharo version on it too.
>
> That's already very cool but we need to think about a better way to handle the different events.
> We need event like n-fingers, pinch in and out, etc... Also, we need to build specific tools.
>
> That would be cool to discuss that in Barcelona...
>
> My 2 cents,
>
> 2010/6/15 Stéphane Ducasse <[hidden email]>
> What I would do
>        - ask alain for the event hierarchy that he extracted from sophie (because they are better for handling
>        a lot of situation and mike redesign them with mulitouch in mind.
>        - check the new event system that was put in place by mike during the clean he did.
>
> Stef
>
> On Jun 15, 2010, at 8:14 PM, Fernando olivero wrote:
>
> > The model is still there,  see for example PasteUpMorph>>addHand: aHandMorph.
> >
> > The challenge is  creating and triggering the necessary events from the vm.
> >
> > This would be excellent to have in Pharo.
> >
> > Fernando
> >

> > On Jun 15, 2010, at 5:57 PM, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
> >
> >> More here:
> >>
> >> http://croquetweak.blogspot.com/2010/06/squeak-etoys-on-ipad.html
> >>
> >> "Morphic was designed to handle multiple "hands" (pointing devices)
> >>  from the beginning"
> >>
> >> I hope we didnt remove that while cleaning morphic, so Pharo
> >> could also be made multitouch-aware.
> >>
> >> Bye
> >> T.
> >>
> >> --
> >> GMX DSL: Internet-, Telefon- und Handy-Flat ab 19,99 EUR/mtl.
> >> Bis zu 150 EUR Startguthaben inklusive! http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/dsl

> Cédrick

Cédrick