Squeak.org link, links to 4.1

Giuseppe
Hi all,

Today I noticed thath 4.2 is released, but, squeak.org links, points to
4.1.

This can create confusion.

Cheers.

Re: Squeak.org link, links to 4.1

Simon Michael
Is 4.2 released ?

Re: Squeak.org, link now 4.3 All-in-One

Janko Mivšek
Hi guys,

There is now a link to All-in-One 4.2 distro only on
http://www.squeak.org Download box. I propose that we stay with that
link only instead of three, separate for Linux, Mac and Win as before.

Can someone check if links on http://www.sqieak.org/Download are fresh too?

Best regards
Janko

On 09. 02. 2011 23:34, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Today I noticed thath 4.2 is released, but, squeak.org links, points to
> 4.1.
>
> This can create confusion.
>
> Cheers.

Re: Squeak.org, link now 4.3 All-in-One

Janko Mivšek
Ops, in subject it should be 4.2, not 4.3 of course :)

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Squeak.org, link now 4.3 All-in-One

laza
Maybe the icon should be the plain squeak icon and not the one with the debian swirl. And now the info you get if you click on "Need installation help?"  doesn't fit to the all-in-one package.

Alex

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web
Smalltalk Web Application Server
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: Squeak.org link, links to 4.1

Levente Uzonyi-2
On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Simon Michael wrote:

> Is 4.2 released ?

There was no official announcement, and some SqueakVMs (windows & mac) are
not available yet, so I'd say no. But the image is ready.

Levente

On Thu, 10 Feb 2011, Janko Mivšek wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> There is now a link to All-in-One 4.2 distro only on
> http://www.squeak.org Download box. I propose that we stay with that
> link only instead of three, separate for Linux, Mac and Win as before.

I think at least the "Others" link should be kept.

> Can someone check if links on http://www.sqieak.org/Download are fresh too?

No they are not. I asked for updating that page several times after 4.1
was released. Notably
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149064.html
, but since then the VMs were updated. Since not all the VMs are ready for
4.2, I'd wait a bit more.

Levente

> Best regards
> Janko
>

> On 09. 02. 2011 23:34, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today I noticed thath 4.2 is released, but, squeak.org links, points to
>> 4.1.
>>
>> This can create confusion.
>>
>> Cheers.

Re: Squeak.org, link now 4.3 All-in-One

Chris Muller-3
> There is now a link to All-in-One 4.2 distro only on
> http://www.squeak.org Download box. I propose that we stay with that
> link only instead of three, separate for Linux, Mac and Win as before.

I think we should have two links:

  Windows - Mac - Linux (23M)
  Windows Only (10M)

Ian Trudel put together a great installation executable for windows.
It launches with a great-looking splash and is exactly what typical
Windows users "expect" when installing Windows software.

However, "advanced" users (like me) could still have the option of a
single directory-of-files, which I prefer over the install-programs
and registry entries.  So I think its worth having these two.  Just
MHO.

 - Chris

> Can someone check if links on http://www.sqieak.org/Download are fresh too?
>
> Best regards
> Janko
>

> On 09. 02. 2011 23:34, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Today I noticed thath 4.2 is released, but, squeak.org links, points to
>> 4.1.
>>
>> This can create confusion.
>>
>> Cheers.

Re: Squeak.org, link now 4.3 All-in-One

K K Subbu
On Thursday 10 Feb 2011 4:04:36 pm Janko Mivšek wrote:
> There is now a link to All-in-One 4.2 distro only on
> http://www.squeak.org Download box. I propose that we stay with that
> link only instead of three, separate for Linux, Mac and Win as before.
+1. The platform-specific code is quite small compared to the shared code and
the proportion is decreasing over time. Having it all in one directory makes
it easy to carry Squeak on a USB stick and use it on any available machine
regardless of the OS.

On Windows, the risks of malware attacks are high so I create a MD5 checksum
of critical files for detecting modifications. It would be useful if such a file
is included in the download itself.

I don't use Windows much but I found making Squeak a Portable App instead of
installing it to be useful:
 http://lists.squeakland.org/pipermail/etoys-dev/2010-September/005650.html

Subbu