Squeak w/o System Windows

marcel.taeumel
Hi, there!

For some reason, I was thinking about window management. Here is a little experiment: no-window-experiment.cs

It makes several standard tools, i.e. the StringHolder sub-classes, open without a window. You have to use Morphic's halo concept to move/resize/close them.

Only a few changes were necessary. By the way, it is challenging to get the height of our main docking bar. MorphicToolBuilder >> #open:label: also assumed that #open: returns a system window, which is not always the case.

Screen real estate for the win!! ^__^

Best,
Marcel

Re: Squeak w/o System Windows

Karl Ramberg
Cool experiment.
Reminds me of the Fabrik stuff Dan Ingalls made where you could open lists and panes based on queries, and build user interfaces on the fly.

Best,
Karl

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4894295/no-window-experiment.cs>

<http://forum.world.st/file/n4894295/squeak-no-windows.png>

Only a few changes were necessary. By the way, it is challenging to get the
height of our main docking bar. MorphicToolBuilder >> #open:label: also
assumed that #open: returns a system window, which is not always the case.

Screen real estate for the win!! ^__^

Best,
Marcel

Re: Squeak w/o System Windows

timrowledge

> On 11-05-2016, at 4:54 AM, marcel.taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi, there!
>
> For some reason, I was thinking about window management.

I’d suggest that this might be part of an path into getting those little buggers into host windows… it’s about time something was done.

tim
Strange OpCodes: EIV: Erase IPL Volume