Squeak windows redraw in Linux...

Elod Kironsky
I guess this topic was already discussed, but I have a very bad redraw
rate of windows in morphic. I
use Fedora Core 6 with 3.9-8 VM and have direct rendering enabled (I
don't know if it relevant). Now
when I run Squeak, the windows are redrawn very slowly. If you ever
tried to use Windows without
the proper graphic drivers (e.g. Windows built-in VESA compliant driver)
with a higher resolution, you
know what I am talking about. Can this anyhow be fixed?

Elod

Re: Squeak windows redraw in Linux...

Bert Freudenberg
On Mar 7, 2007, at 10:57 , Elod Kironsky wrote:

> I guess this topic was already discussed, but I have a very bad
> redraw rate of windows in morphic. I
> use Fedora Core 6 with 3.9-8 VM and have direct rendering enabled
> (I don't know if it relevant). Now
> when I run Squeak, the windows are redrawn very slowly. If you ever
> tried to use Windows without
> the proper graphic drivers (e.g. Windows built-in VESA compliant
> driver) with a higher resolution, you
> know what I am talking about. Can this anyhow be fixed?

Do you mean it's slower than Windows rendering, or generally slow?

Make sure the squeak bit depth matches the X11 bit depth. And use xshm.

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2007, at 10:57 , Elod Kironsky wrote:
>
>> I guess this topic was already discussed, but I have a very bad
>> redraw rate of windows in morphic. I
>> use Fedora Core 6 with 3.9-8 VM and have direct rendering enabled (I
>> don't know if it relevant). Now
>> when I run Squeak, the windows are redrawn very slowly. If you ever
>> tried to use Windows without
>> the proper graphic drivers (e.g. Windows built-in VESA compliant
>> driver) with a higher resolution, you
>> know what I am talking about. Can this anyhow be fixed?
>
> Do you mean it's slower than Windows rendering, or generally slow?
Generally slow. Windows rendering is OK for me. I just wanted to make a
general example with Windows. Not
related to Squeak.

> Make sure the squeak bit depth matches the X11 bit depth. And use xshm.
Ok, will try.

On Mar 7, 2007, at 11:35 , Elod Kironsky wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On Mar 7, 2007, at 10:57 , Elod Kironsky wrote:
>>
>>> I guess this topic was already discussed, but I have a very bad
>>> redraw rate of windows in morphic. I
>>> use Fedora Core 6 with 3.9-8 VM and have direct rendering enabled
>>> (I don't know if it relevant). Now
>>> when I run Squeak, the windows are redrawn very slowly. If you
>>> ever tried to use Windows without
>>> the proper graphic drivers (e.g. Windows built-in VESA compliant
>>> driver) with a higher resolution, you
>>> know what I am talking about. Can this anyhow be fixed?
>>
>> Do you mean it's slower than Windows rendering, or generally slow?
> Generally slow. Windows rendering is OK for me. I just wanted to
> make a general example with Windows. Not
> related to Squeak.

Well, then it may not be Linux related at all. Squeak drawing
performance has slowed down a lot over the last view years. The low
point was 3.8. You might try a 3.9 image to see if it feels faster.

>> Make sure the squeak bit depth matches the X11 bit depth. And use
>> xshm.
> Ok, will try.

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2007, at 11:35 , Elod Kironsky wrote:
>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Do you mean it's slower than Windows rendering, or generally slow?
>> Generally slow. Windows rendering is OK for me. I just wanted to make
>> a general example with Windows. Not
>> related to Squeak.
>
> Well, then it may not be Linux related at all. Squeak drawing
> performance has slowed down a lot over the last view years. The low
> point was 3.8. You might try a 3.9 image to see if it feels faster.
I suspect a little misunderstanding here. I'm using Squeak VM 3.9-8 and
the final 3.9 image. Under Windows it just works fine, under Linux
however, the redraw performance of morphic windows is
very slow. You can imagine how slow it is, if you install Windows
(without any extra drivers), set a higher resolution and try to move any
window of any application. You will get the same symptom.

>>> Make sure the squeak bit depth matches the X11 bit depth. And use xshm.
>> Ok, will try.
>
> - Bert -

Re: Squeak windows redraw in Linux...

Giovanni Corriga
Il giorno mer, 07/03/2007 alle 12.05 +0100, Elod Kironsky ha scritto:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> >> Generally slow. Windows rendering is OK for me. I just wanted to make
> >> a general example with Windows. Not
> >> related to Squeak.
> >
> > Well, then it may not be Linux related at all. Squeak drawing
> > performance has slowed down a lot over the last view years. The low
> > point was 3.8. You might try a 3.9 image to see if it feels faster.
> I suspect a little misunderstanding here. I'm using Squeak VM 3.9-8 and
> the final 3.9 image. Under Windows it just works fine, under Linux
> however, the redraw performance of morphic windows is
> very slow. You can imagine how slow it is, if you install Windows
> (without any extra drivers), set a higher resolution and try to move any
> window of any application. You will get the same symptom.

Have you tried closing all the windows that use TTF Fonts?

        Giovanni

Re: Squeak windows redraw in Linux...

Bryce Kampjes
Elod Kironsky writes:
 > I suspect a little misunderstanding here. I'm using Squeak VM 3.9-8 and
 > the final 3.9 image. Under Windows it just works fine, under Linux
 > however, the redraw performance of morphic windows is
 > very slow. You can imagine how slow it is, if you install Windows
 > (without any extra drivers), set a higher resolution and try to move any
 > window of any application. You will get the same symptom.

Does it slowly repaint the entire Squeak window line by line? I've
seen this on Ubuntu Edgy but not Dapper or Gentoo. I suspect it's
caused by some X/Squeak version incompatability issue given I've used
the same VM and image on both Edgy and Gentoo. Edgy is painfully slow
while Gentoo runs at the normal speed.

Bryce

[hidden email] wrote:

> Elod Kironsky writes:
>  > I suspect a little misunderstanding here. I'm using Squeak VM 3.9-8 and
>  > the final 3.9 image. Under Windows it just works fine, under Linux
>  > however, the redraw performance of morphic windows is
>  > very slow. You can imagine how slow it is, if you install Windows
>  > (without any extra drivers), set a higher resolution and try to move any
>  > window of any application. You will get the same symptom.
>
> Does it slowly repaint the entire Squeak window line by line? I've
> seen this on Ubuntu Edgy but not Dapper or Gentoo. I suspect it's
> caused by some X/Squeak version incompatability issue given I've used
> the same VM and image on both Edgy and Gentoo. Edgy is painfully slow
> while Gentoo runs at the normal speed.
>
> Bryce

No, it is not that bad, but very slow.

Elod

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2007, at 10:57 , Elod Kironsky wrote:
>
>> I guess this topic was already discussed, but I have a very bad
>> redraw rate of windows in morphic. I
>> use Fedora Core 6 with 3.9-8 VM and have direct rendering enabled (I
>> don't know if it relevant). Now
>> when I run Squeak, the windows are redrawn very slowly. If you ever
>> tried to use Windows without
>> the proper graphic drivers (e.g. Windows built-in VESA compliant
>> driver) with a higher resolution, you
>> know what I am talking about. Can this anyhow be fixed?
>
> Do you mean it's slower than Windows rendering, or generally slow?
>
> Make sure the squeak bit depth matches the X11 bit depth. And use xshm.
>
> - Bert -

If I try to run squeak -xshm <image>, I get a message that -xshm is an
unknown option. It is listed though among
available option when I run squeak -?. How can I set squeak bit depth?

Elod

On Mar 7, 2007, at 22:55 , Elod Kironsky wrote:

> Bert Freudenberg wrote:
>> On Mar 7, 2007, at 10:57 , Elod Kironsky wrote:
>>
>>> I guess this topic was already discussed, but I have a very bad
>>> redraw rate of windows in morphic. I
>>> use Fedora Core 6 with 3.9-8 VM and have direct rendering enabled
>>> (I don't know if it relevant). Now
>>> when I run Squeak, the windows are redrawn very slowly. If you
>>> ever tried to use Windows without
>>> the proper graphic drivers (e.g. Windows built-in VESA compliant
>>> driver) with a higher resolution, you
>>> know what I am talking about. Can this anyhow be fixed?
>>
>> Do you mean it's slower than Windows rendering, or generally slow?
>>
>> Make sure the squeak bit depth matches the X11 bit depth. And use
>> xshm.
>>
>> - Bert -
>>

> If I try to run squeak -xshm <image>, I get a message that -xshm is
> an unknown option. It is listed though among
> available option when I run squeak -?.

You should read the explanation more carefully ;-)

"-xshm" is an option provided by the X11 display module, it does not
make sense for the VM itself. So you have to precede it by -vm-
display-X11 .

> How can I set squeak bit depth?

World menu - appearance.

- Bert -

Bert Freudenberg wrote:

> On Mar 7, 2007, at 22:55 , Elod Kironsky wrote:
>
>> Bert Freudenberg wrote:

>>> Do you mean it's slower than Windows rendering, or generally slow?
>>>
>>> Make sure the squeak bit depth matches the X11 bit depth. And use xshm.
>>>
>>> - Bert -
>>>

>> If I try to run squeak -xshm <image>, I get a message that -xshm is
>> an unknown option. It is listed though among
>> available option when I run squeak -?.
>
> You should read the explanation more carefully ;-)
>
> "-xshm" is an option provided by the X11 display module, it does not
> make sense for the VM itself. So you have to precede it by
> -vm-display-X11 .
>
>> How can I set squeak bit depth?
>
> World menu - appearance.
>
> - Bert -

OK, I just run squeak -vm-display-X11 -xshm <image> and the result was
even worse then before :-(. It is incredibly slow. Also tried setting
the bit depth to every possible value, but that does not help.

Elod

On Mar 7, 2007, at 23:53 , Elod Kironsky wrote:
> OK, I just run squeak -vm-display-X11 -xshm <image> and the result
> was even worse then before :-(. It is incredibly slow. Also tried
> setting the bit depth to every possible value, but that does not help.

Very strange. I do have excellent draw speed in Ubuntu Edgy, even
under simulation (I'm running in Parallels).

- Bert -

Re: Squeak windows redraw in Linux...

EstebanLM
Hi!
I'm getting the same error...  (With kubuntu 6.10)
Does anybody found a solution?

Cheers,
Esteban

--
"Querer es suscitar las paradojas"
Camus. El míto de Sísifo.

Re: Squeak windows redraw in Linux...

EstebanLM
Ha! This is no a solution at all, but "wine Squeak.exe" works just fine :)

Esteban