[SqueakMap] How do I created an updated Squeak 5.2 entry for 'Installer ensureRecentMetacello'

[SqueakMap] How do I created an updated Squeak 5.2 entry for 'Installer ensureRecentMetacello'

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Chris and all

You point out  that Metacello is marked as community supported (see
screen shot).
The entry is from 2015.

If I log into my account in SqueakMap I do not see a way how I can
access that entry.

The script there is long and outdated . [1]

It needs to be replaced with

     Installer ensureRecentMetacello

I wonder how I do that with the current UI?

Regards
Hannes

[1] OLD (2015) SqueakMap entry for Metacello

Installer gemsource
    project: 'metacello';
    addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
    install.

"Bootstrap Metacello Preview, using mcz files (#'previewBootstrap'
symbolic version"
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project
  version: #'previewBootstrap') load.

"Load the Preview version of Metacello from GitHub"
(Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
  configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
  version: #stable;
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
  load.

"Now load latest version of Metacello"
(Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
  baseline: 'Metacello';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
  get.
(Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
  baseline: 'Metacello';
  repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
  load.

SqueakMap_Metacello_entry_2018-10-08.png (109K) Download Attachment

Re: [SqueakMap] How do I created an updated Squeak 5.2 entry for 'Installer ensureRecentMetacello'

Chris Muller-4
Hi Hannes,

Only through "Create New Release" in the image.

    http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6181

:)    (sorry, I know you already know all this)

The "Community Supported" was part of the 2011 workflow enhancement
which only added the new in-image generated request (the Release
Editor) to append Releases.  IIRC, nothing with the web UI was changed
because the server code is too old and fragile to mess with anymore
than necessary.   However, as I mentioned before, I now have concrete
plans to replace it in the next or future release.

 - Chris

On Mon, Oct 8, 2018 at 4:31 PM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Chris and all
>
> You point out  that Metacello is marked as community supported (see
> screen shot).
> The entry is from 2015.
>

> If I log into my account in SqueakMap I do not see a way how I can
> access that entry.
>
> The script there is long and outdated . [1]
>
> It needs to be replaced with
>

>      Installer ensureRecentMetacello
>

> I wonder how I do that with the current UI?
>
> Regards
> Hannes
>

> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> [1] OLD (2015) SqueakMap entry for Metacello
>

> Installer gemsource
>     project: 'metacello';
>     addPackage: 'ConfigurationOfMetacello';
>     install.
>
> "Bootstrap Metacello Preview, using mcz files (#'previewBootstrap'
> symbolic version"
> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project
>   version: #'previewBootstrap') load.
>
> "Load the Preview version of Metacello from GitHub"
> (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
>   configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
>   version: #stable;
>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
>   load.
>
> "Now load latest version of Metacello"
> (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
>   baseline: 'Metacello';
>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
>   get.
> (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
>   baseline: 'Metacello';
>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
>   load.

Re: [SqueakMap] How do I created an updated Squeak 5.2 entry for 'Installer ensureRecentMetacello'

Hannes Hirzel
Hi Chris

Thank you for the hints. No I had forgotten how this works.
In particular I had forgotten that I have to do this on the client
side _IN THE IMAGE with the 'SqueakMap' tool. I was looking on the web
GUI and I did not find anything,

Now there is an entry for installing Metacello on the list for Squeak
5.2 compatible installations in the SqueakMap client.

See screen shot.

For the installation to work people have to select the '5.2' entry, not 'head'.
'head' will give the old release whereas 5.2 gives the script

       Installer ensureRecentMetacello

I do not know how that could be avoided.

Regards

Hannes

Metacello_installation_in_Squeak5.2_through_SqueakMap_Screenshot_2018-10-09.png (182K) Download Attachment
cbc

Re: [SqueakMap] How do I created an updated Squeak 5.2 entry for 'Installer ensureRecentMetacello'

cbc
I think you have to go do 'edit releases' on the website - but I only see that option from packages I am owner (or co-maintainer) of - not for community packages.

Maybe Chris knows...

-cbc

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 12:50 PM H. Hirzel <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> ((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfMetacello) project
>>   version: #'previewBootstrap') load.
>>
>> "Load the Preview version of Metacello from GitHub"
>> (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
>>   configuration: 'MetacelloPreview';
>>   version: #stable;
>>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:configuration';
>>   load.
>>
>> "Now load latest version of Metacello"
>> (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
>>   baseline: 'Metacello';
>>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
>>   get.
>> (Smalltalk at: #Metacello) new
>>   baseline: 'Metacello';
>>   repository: 'github://dalehenrich/metacello-work:master/repository';
>>   load.

Re: [SqueakMap] How do I created an updated Squeak 5.2 entry for 'Installer ensureRecentMetacello'

I verified that you can select the (head) release, then click "Edit
Release".  Then I changed the old script (pasted below for posterity)
to Installer ensureRecentMetacello.

But let us think about this for a second.  The (head) script is what
it should be now, but do you think this will work forever in 5.2 going
forward?

Generally, the Squeak-version-specific  Releases  should have
hardcoded package version numbers or otherwise Metacello's specific
implementation of fixed configuration.

Since we want the packages listed for "5.2" to work "forever" I'm not
sure we should rely on #ensureRecentMetacello for that...    Right?

Best,
  Chris

Dale's old (head) script: