SqueakMap server stuck?

timrowledge
I’ve been trying to set up a coupe of packages and it isn’t working very nicely right now.
I uploaded to squeaksource ok and even (eventually) worked out how to make first releases. I added two projects to my squeakmap account, and they even appear in the in-image catalogue. But any attempt to get to the SM ‘edit releases’ page just times out with a 504.

Is this me doing wrong things, or the server getting stuck or…?

tim
Strange OpCodes: ESR: Emulate Slide Rule

Re: SqueakMap server stuck?

Chris Muller-3
Every time the SM model changes, it'll end up doing a resave of the SM
model to a serialized file within the next 5-minute period or so.
That save burdens the image so badly for a few minutes that it isn't
able to respond to other requests temporarily.

(It runs using Goran's HTTPView web framework, still on an old
interpreter image because there are a couple of methods that exceed
the maximum length (or, was it # of literals?) allowed by cog images.

After the model change, the next time you access it'll download that new file.

Wait a few minutes, then try again, it will work.

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 12:20 AM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I’ve been trying to set up a coupe of packages and it isn’t working very nicely right now.
> I uploaded to squeaksource ok and even (eventually) worked out how to make first releases. I added two projects to my squeakmap account, and they even appear in the in-image catalogue. But any attempt to get to the SM ‘edit releases’ page just times out with a 504.
>
> Is this me doing wrong things, or the server getting stuck or…?
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: ESR: Emulate Slide Rule

Re: SqueakMap server stuck?

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Chris,

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
Every time the SM model changes, it'll end up doing a resave of the SM
model to a serialized file within the next 5-minute period or so.
That save burdens the image so badly for a few minutes that it isn't
able to respond to other requests temporarily.

(It runs using Goran's HTTPView web framework, still on an old
interpreter image because there are a couple of methods that exceed
the maximum length (or, was it # of literals?) allowed by cog images.

Neither of these are limits that are different in Cog VMs; they're limitations of the byte code set.  Maybe something in the closure changes affected the image? I;m sure we could have this running on Cog and Spur with a little bit of work.  Volunteers?

--
_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: SqueakMap server stuck?

timrowledge

> On 16-06-2016, at 2:34 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Every time the SM model changes, it'll end up doing a resave of the SM
> model to a serialized file within the next 5-minute period or so.
> That save burdens the image so badly for a few minutes that it isn't
> able to respond to other requests temporarily.

Hmm, ok. It didn’t *seem* like that was the sort of thing going on and indeed it was still unable to respond this morning. Once I had managed to use the in-image release creator ( a long and swear filled story) to make at least one release it would respond immediately.

It’s been an awful long time since I created/saved/published anything on SM and if anything past familiarity got in the way more than helped.

The create-release browser is more than slightly painful to use and the swiki pages purporting to explain it seem rather out of date and incomplete. Having to manually accept each and every pane’s data is ridiculous! It took some time to realise that I had to make an install script even for a single mcz file because of this lack of clarity. I’m pretty sure I never had to do anything like that with the VMMaker way back when. A live example of the simplest install script in the tool would be nice I think, something akin to the class template in the code browser.

It would be nice if the whole process could be done within the image too, rather than (so far as I can tell, correct me if I’m wonrg) a bit on the webpage, a bit in the image, a bit in Sanskrit, etc.

tim
Strange OpCodes: DPN: Double Precision No-op

Re: SqueakMap server stuck?

Chris Muller-4
Tim, the documentation is up-to-date.  Nothing has changed in a few
years since the renewal, it just basically works the same as it has.

If you would provide more specific criticism about its failings then I
would maybe be able address your concern, make an improvement...

Here it is:

   http://wiki.squeak.org/squeak/6182

Scroll down to "Guidelines for writing the script for a
fixed-configuration".  This is "the simplest example" you want.  Just
copy, paste, change the names to your packages, delete the pre-req instruction.
Done.

You're a trunk committer, you're welcome to make the change to
auto-accept all fields when the user presses the "Save" button...

On Thu, Jun 16, 2016 at 6:11 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> On 16-06-2016, at 2:34 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Every time the SM model changes, it'll end up doing a resave of the SM
>> model to a serialized file within the next 5-minute period or so.
>> That save burdens the image so badly for a few minutes that it isn't
>> able to respond to other requests temporarily.
>
> Hmm, ok. It didn’t *seem* like that was the sort of thing going on and indeed it was still unable to respond this morning. Once I had managed to use the in-image release creator ( a long and swear filled story) to make at least one release it would respond immediately.
>
> It’s been an awful long time since I created/saved/published anything on SM and if anything past familiarity got in the way more than helped.
>
> The create-release browser is more than slightly painful to use and the swiki pages purporting to explain it seem rather out of date and incomplete. Having to manually accept each and every pane’s data is ridiculous! It took some time to realise that I had to make an install script even for a single mcz file because of this lack of clarity. I’m pretty sure I never had to do anything like that with the VMMaker way back when. A live example of the simplest install script in the tool would be nice I think, something akin to the class template in the code browser.
>
> It would be nice if the whole process could be done within the image too, rather than (so far as I can tell, correct me if I’m wonrg) a bit on the webpage, a bit in the image, a bit in Sanskrit, etc.
>
> tim
> Strange OpCodes: DPN: Double Precision No-op

Re: SqueakMap server stuck?

timrowledge

> On 16-06-2016, at 7:16 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> You're a trunk committer, you're welcome to make the change to
> auto-accept all fields when the user presses the "Save" button…

I’ve just committed a small pair of improvements that I think make life a little simpler.

tim
Last one out, turn off the computer!