SqueakMap updating fails to update files

SqueakMap updating fails to update files

timrowledge
I've been trying to update the NuScratch packages a bit and having 'fun'.

The first problem was simply trying to install the current version; the gpio package has two dependencies and one of them complained that it could not be found. That would be JSON->tonyg.37. Which was a moment's confusion because that is not listed on SM at all, where the versions are 39 a&b. Then I looked at the mcz file in a zip window and noticed that the json tonyg.37 package was included within the mcz, which added some more confusion because it's *right there* so how can it not be found?

After much puzzling I was able to change the dependency to the newer JSON->tony39b and get it uploaded to squeaksource. Anyone wanting a nice monticello project could do worse than improving the tools around those dependencies; we don't see relevant info anywhere except (so far as I could find) in the info window displayed just after saving a package. Nor does it seem we can removed just one dependency out of several.

I then needed to update the SM entry in order to load the updated gpio package. Unfortunately this failed to upload properly  - eventually I got a timeout error, which locked up the image for a couple of minutes before finally returning control to me. It looks like the http://map.squeak.org/accountbyid/4340a66e-2296-48b7-9aa8-5305d303752f/files/install-NuScratchGPIO-Version19.st file didn't get there - attemtping to fetch it results in a 'not here mate' error. Rather confusingly the SM tool does actually show the new version in the list, which isn't reflected in the reality of the web server - opening another image to check in a separate SM catalog shows the lack of the new version. I guess it would be nice to only update the SM tool if the upload is successful.

Two attempts have failed to achieve anything and I don't want to overload the server image if it is having problems. What next?

tim
Try not to let implementation details sneak into design documents.

Re: SqueakMap updating fails to update files

timrowledge

> On 2019-03-14, at 5:07 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I've been trying to update the NuScratch packages a bit and having 'fun'.

Tried another couple of times and all I'm seeing is socket timeouts. Is the image blocked?

tim
Oxymorons: Sanitary landfill

Re: SqueakMap updating fails to update files

Chris Muller-3
Hi Tim,

If you click "Edit Release" on "Version382" it shows this:
____
(FileDirectory default  directoryExists: 'ScratchSkin') ifFalse:[
UIManager default inform: 'Before loading this package you must
download\ http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchSkin1.4.zip\
and unzip it to create the ScratchSkin directory\ with all the
required media files.' withCRs.
^0].
(Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/NuScratch' )
install: 'NuScratch-tpr.381.mcz'
____

The first line looks for a file at
http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchSkin1.4.zip\.

I get a 404 when I tried to access it.

Okay, so then the second line goes after something on
squeaksource.com, which is down right now.

I think the problems lie with everything _except_ SqueakMap for the moment.

 - Chris

On Thu, Mar 14, 2019 at 7:07 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> Two attempts have failed to achieve anything and I don't want to overload the server image if it is having problems. What next?
>
> tim
> --
> Try not to let implementation details sneak into design documents.

Re: SqueakMap updating fails to update files

timrowledge

> On 2019-03-15, at 1:22 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
> If you click "Edit Release" on "Version382" it shows this:
> ____
> (FileDirectory default  directoryExists: 'ScratchSkin') ifFalse:[
> UIManager default inform: 'Before loading this package you must
> download\ http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchSkin1.4.zip\
> and unzip it to create the ScratchSkin directory\ with all the

That's odd but probably fixable. At least I hope so, t'would be unpleasant if MIT have withdrawn it in some mena-spirited manner.

> Okay, so then the second line goes after something on
> squeaksource.com, which is down right now.

Urk, well it seemed to be ok something like an hour ago

> I think the problems lie with everything _except_ SqueakMap for the moment.

.. except the just mentioned timeouts when trying to saved a release update to it.

tim
..... REALITY.SYS Corrupted - Unable to recover Universe

Re: SqueakMap updating fails to update files

Chris Muller-4
> > If you click "Edit Release" on "Version382" it shows this:
> > ____
> > (FileDirectory default  directoryExists: 'ScratchSkin') ifFalse:[
> > UIManager default inform: 'Before loading this package you must
> > download\ http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchSkin1.4.zip\
> > and unzip it to create the ScratchSkin directory\ with all the
> > required media files.' withCRs.
> > ^0].
> > (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/NuScratch' )
> > install: 'NuScratch-tpr.381.mcz'
> > ____
> >
> > The first line looks for a file at
> > http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchSkin1.4.zip\.
> >
> > I get a 404 when I tried to access it.
>
> That's odd but probably fixable. At least I hope so, t'would be unpleasant if MIT have withdrawn it in some mena-spirited manner.
>

> > Okay, so then the second line goes after something on
> > squeaksource.com, which is down right now.
>
> Urk, well it seemed to be ok something like an hour ago
>

> > I think the problems lie with everything _except_ SqueakMap for the moment.
>
> .. except the just mentioned timeouts when trying to saved a release update to it.

We've discussed these before, the most likely scenario is that the
serialization on the old 3.x server image is taking a few seconds
longer than your timeout setting.  Most likely, all is fine.

Click the Update button in a separate image and see if its there.

Re: SqueakMap updating fails to update files

timrowledge

> On 2019-03-15, at 1:31 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> If you click "Edit Release" on "Version382" it shows this:
>>> ____
>>> (FileDirectory default  directoryExists: 'ScratchSkin') ifFalse:[
>>> UIManager default inform: 'Before loading this package you must
>>> download\ http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchSkin1.4.zip\
>>> and unzip it to create the ScratchSkin directory\ with all the
>>> required media files.' withCRs.
>>> ^0].
>>> (Installer repository: 'http://www.squeaksource.com/NuScratch' )
>>> install: 'NuScratch-tpr.381.mcz'
>>> ____
>>>
>>> The first line looks for a file at
>>> http://download.scratch.mit.edu/source-code/ScratchSkin1.4.zip\.
>>>
>>> I get a 404 when I tried to access it.
>>
>> That's odd but probably fixable. At least I hope so, t'would be unpleasant if MIT have withdrawn it in some mena-spirited manner.
>>

>>> Okay, so then the second line goes after something on
>>> squeaksource.com, which is down right now.
>>
>> Urk, well it seemed to be ok something like an hour ago
>>

>>> I think the problems lie with everything _except_ SqueakMap for the moment.
>>
>> .. except the just mentioned timeouts when trying to saved a release update to it.
>
> We've discussed these before, the most likely scenario is that the
> serialization on the old 3.x server image is taking a few seconds
> longer than your timeout setting.  Most likely, all is fine.
>
> Click the Update button in a separate image and see if its there.

Been there, done that, with and without changing the filter to allow 'new safely-available packages'. SM website doesn't show any new release data either.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PMT: Punch Magnetic Tape

Re: SqueakMap updating fails to update files

timrowledge

> On 2019-03-15, at 1:41 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> Been there, done that, with and without changing the filter to allow 'new safely-available packages'. SM website doesn't show any new release data either.

And just tried with the timeout set to 90 seconds to no improved effect. It shouldn't be taking long to serialize the 189 characters that were being sent...

tim
Security announcement - as of next week, passwords will be entered in Morse code.

Re: SqueakMap updating fails to update files

Chris Muller-3
Everything seems to add up to the server having a problem with what
you're sending it.  If you could construct a clear email with the
precise, concise steps (incl. package and version names, etc.) I can
follow to reproduce the issue, I might be able to take a look for you.

  - Chris

On Fri, Mar 15, 2019 at 5:12 PM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > On 2019-03-15, at 1:41 PM, tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >

> > Been there, done that, with and without changing the filter to allow 'new safely-available packages'. SM website doesn't show any new release data either.
> >

> And just tried with the timeout set to 90 seconds to no improved effect. It shouldn't be taking long to serialize the 189 characters that were being sent...
>
> tim
> --
> Security announcement - as of next week, passwords will be entered in Morse code.

Re: SqueakMap updating fails to update files

timrowledge
I haven't forgotten this and will try to provide stuff to make a good test case.

> On 2019-03-16, at 2:45 PM, Chris Muller <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Everything seems to add up to the server having a problem with what
> you're sending it.  If you could construct a clear email with the
> precise, concise steps (incl. package and version names, etc.) I can
> follow to reproduce the issue, I might be able to take a look for you.

tim
That’s the second time I’ve seen a Word doc eat a man’s soul. Time for a bug report...