SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

jrm

SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

jrm
primitiveSSLCreate is failing on my Win 7 computer.

It occurs in new and older images.

I am working on a different wifi network than usual, which might
explain the problem, but I don't know where to look for solutions.

There was also a new Windows update pushed out to my computer today.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
jrm

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

Ben Coman

On 22 June 2018 at 09:25, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
primitiveSSLCreate is failing on my Win 7 computer.

It occurs in new and older images.

I am working on a different wifi network than usual, which might
explain the problem, but I don't know where to look for solutions.

There was also a new Windows update pushed out to my computer today.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
jrm

What code snippet can others run to test/trigger this error?

cheers -ben

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

Ron Teitelbaum-3
Not sure it is related but see https://www.3dicc.com/adding-tls1-1-support-to-windows-7/.  If the crypto modules were updated this could be the issue.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum

jrm

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

jrm
Ben,

(WebClient httpGet: 'http://www.squeak.org') content.

>> fails in the method SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate

This may not be a Squeak issue, I am visiting a friend and using a
wifi network that I have not used before. I am planning to try a
different network tomorrow to  try and verify the error.

- jrm
On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 7:38 PM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 22 June 2018 at 09:25, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> primitiveSSLCreate is failing on my Win 7 computer.
>>
>> It occurs in new and older images.
>>
>> I am working on a different wifi network than usual, which might
>> explain the problem, but I don't know where to look for solutions.
>>
>> There was also a new Windows update pushed out to my computer today.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> jrm
>>

> What code snippet can others run to test/trigger this error?
>
> cheers -ben

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

Tobias Pape
DearJohn

> On 22.06.2018, at 05:12, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Ben,
>
> (WebClient httpGet: 'http://www.squeak.org') content.
>
>>> fails in the method SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate
>

> This may not be a Squeak issue, I am visiting a friend and using a
> wifi network that I have not used before. I am planning to try a
> different network tomorrow to  try and verify the error.

Make sure you try with a fairly recent VM. We had some Windows-7 related issues as of.. May?
It might be unrelated but maybe that was it.

Best regards
        -Tobias

> - jrm
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 7:38 PM Ben Coman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>> On 22 June 2018 at 09:25, John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> primitiveSSLCreate is failing on my Win 7 computer.
>>>
>>> It occurs in new and older images.
>>>
>>> I am working on a different wifi network than usual, which might
>>> explain the problem, but I don't know where to look for solutions.
>>>
>>> There was also a new Windows update pushed out to my computer today.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> jrm
>>>

>> What code snippet can others run to test/trigger this error?
>>
>> cheers -ben

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

Tobias Pape
Hi Ron

> On 22.06.2018, at 04:45, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Not sure it is related but see https://www.3dicc.com/adding-tls1-1-support-to-windows-7/.  If the crypto modules were updated this could be the issue.

It could be very well related.

Here's how the "current" SqueakSSL on Windows makes sure, a current TLS is used:

https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/90e663ad75a6c3e1a932b8e48ab536ed6b6318de

I don't know, however, whether we now have a problem when _not_ disabling TLS1.0.
What do you think?

Best regards
        -Tobias

jrm

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

jrm
The failure is no longer ocrurring  on my Win7 computer.
I now believe the root cause was an automatic update from microsoft
which orcurred a couple of days ago. The computer (laptop) had been
offline for a month or so and pulled out for road work. I may have had
images open when the update happened or did not reboot after the
updates were loaded.

Thanks to everyone for your support, especially during this hectic,
new release time.
- jrm

On Fri, Jun 22, 2018 at 1:42 AM Tobias Pape <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Ron
>
> > On 22.06.2018, at 04:45, Ron Teitelbaum <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > Not sure it is related but see https://www.3dicc.com/adding-tls1-1-support-to-windows-7/.  If the crypto modules were updated this could be the issue.
>
> It could be very well related.
>
> Here's how the "current" SqueakSSL on Windows makes sure, a current TLS is used:
>
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/90e663ad75a6c3e1a932b8e48ab536ed6b6318de
>
> I don't know, however, whether we now have a problem when _not_ disabling TLS1.0.
> What do you think?
>
> Best regards
>         -Tobias
>

> > All the best,
> >
> > Ron Teitelbaum
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 21, 2018, 9:25 PM John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > primitiveSSLCreate is failing on my Win 7 computer.
> >
> > It occurs in new and older images.
> >
> > I am working on a different wifi network than usual, which might
> > explain the problem, but I don't know where to look for solutions.
> >
> > There was also a new Windows update pushed out to my computer today.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > jrm

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

Ron Teitelbaum
Hi Tobias,

Disabling TLS 1.0 will cause Win 7 to fail unless you follow the steps defined on my post.  https://www.3dicc.com/adding-tls1-1-support-to-windows-7/  I have verified that if you follow these steps Win 7 will work using TLS 1.1.

Disabling TLS 1.0 is the right thing to do.  I haven't had a chance to try your new code yet.  What I do for testing is use the VMWare virtual machine of Win 7 (64 bit).

That works well for testing.

Hi JRM,

I would be very interested to know if your updated Win 7 computer works now for TLS 1.1.  Could you try this and let me know?

Could you let me know if it supports TLS 1.1 without changing anything else?  Who knows maybe Microsoft pushed out a patch for it.

Thanks!

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum
Chief Executive Officer
3D Immersive Collaboration Consulting, LLC
[hidden email]
Follow Me On Twitter: @RonTeitelbaum
www.3dicc.com
https://www.google.com/+3dicc

jrm

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

jrm
Ron,

Chrome Browser Results
>> Protocols
TLS 1.3Yes
TLS 1.2Yes*
TLS 1.1Yes*
TLS 1.0Yes*
SSL 3Yes*
SSL 2No

Squeak Results
The link fails in 5.1 in both 32 and 64 bit versions, at different points.

Squeak 5.1 (32 Bit) >> SSL connect failed with code: -5

Squeak 5.1 (64 Bit) >> primitiveSSLCreate failed

image.png

I hope this helps. I am out of my comfort zone at this point, but I will help in any way I can.

jrm

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

jrm
Ron,

I should have also mentioned that while I reported earlier in the thread, that the issue was resolved on my computer,  I ran these tests today and the failure mode has returned (at least for 5.1).

I am not convinced that this is a squeak error, but something caused by connecting to different wifi networks.

I did reboot before I ran the tests I just reported results on, so I am pretty confused about the root cause.

- jrm

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 3:25 PM John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ron,

Chrome Browser Results
> [...]

> It could be very well related.
>
> Here's how the "current" SqueakSSL on Windows makes sure, a current TLS is used:
>
> https://github.com/OpenSmalltalk/opensmalltalk-vm/commit/90e663ad75a6c3e1a932b8e48ab536ed6b6318de
>
> I don't know, however, whether we now have a problem when _not_ disabling TLS1.0.
> What do you think?
>
> Best regards
>         -Tobias
>

> > All the best,
> >
> > Ron Teitelbaum
> >
> > On Thu, Jun 21, 2018, 9:25 PM John-Reed Maffeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > primitiveSSLCreate is failing on my Win 7 computer.
> >
> > It occurs in new and older images.
> >
> > I am working on a different wifi network than usual, which might
> > explain the problem, but I don't know where to look for solutions.
> >
> > There was also a new Windows update pushed out to my computer today.

image.png (148K) Download Attachment

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
jrm wrote
> The link fails in 5.1 in both 32 and 64 bit versions, at different points.
> HTTPClient httpGet: 'https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html'

If it helps, Pharo 6.1 64-bit `ZnEasy get:
'https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html'` succeeds

-----
Cheers,
Sean

Sean

Re: SqueakSSL primitiveSSLCreate >> fails

Levente Uzonyi
On Sun, 24 Jun 2018, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> jrm wrote
>> The link fails in 5.1 in both 32 and 64 bit versions, at different points.
>> HTTPClient httpGet: 'https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html'
>
> If it helps, Pharo 6.1 64-bit `ZnEasy get:
> 'https://www.ssllabs.com/ssltest/viewMyClient.html'` succeeds

The VM which Squeak 5.1 was released comes with a version of SqueakSSL
plugin which doesn't support SAN certificates, while ssllabs.com uses a
star certificate.
That's why the error code is -5, the certificate's domain doesn't match
the requested domain, because only the SAN extension matches it.
Pharo 6.1 came out a year later, and by that time the plugin was rewritten
to support SAN certificates.

Btw, it's kinda irrelevant to test Squeak 5.1 now when 5.2 is about to be
released.

Levente