SqueakSSL

Colin Putney-3
Hi folks,

I did a quick smoke test by installing the image-side code and testing with the plugin that ships with Cog. That didn't work, so I'm trying to get an idea of how broken it is...

Is anybody using SqueakSSL right now? Are there known problems and solutions? Did it mature enough for production use before Andreas died?

Colin

tty

Re: SqueakSSL

tty
Plugin will not load on Linux32 and a month or so ago it did not load on Windows 7.

Its on my list of things to fix.

cordially

tty

---- On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 10:12:54 -0800 Colin Putney<[hidden email]> wrote ----

Hi folks,

I did a quick smoke test by installing the image-side code and testing with the plugin that ships with Cog. That didn't work, so I'm trying to get an idea of how broken it is...

Is anybody using SqueakSSL right now? Are there known problems and solutions? Did it mature enough for production use before Andreas died?

Colin

Re: SqueakSSL

David T. Lewis
Status is here:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7751

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7793

It should work on a freshly compiled interpreter VM if and only if
compiled in 32-bit mode (and yes we are overdue for a new official build).

I'm not sure of status on Cog but I know of no reason that it would not
work on Cog also.

> Hi folks,
>
> I did a quick smoke test by installing the image-side code and testing
> with
> the plugin that ships with Cog. That didn't work, so I'm trying to get an
> idea of how broken it is...
>
> Is anybody using SqueakSSL right now? Are there known problems and
> solutions? Did it mature enough for production use before Andreas died?
>
> Colin

tty

Re: SqueakSSL

tty
I will be attempting my first build for the StackInterpreterSimulator on linux64(w/ 32 bit libs) when I get done with the MorphicEvents work I am doing for the simulator.

Expect something in two or three days as I am a bit busy with some other stuff right now.

cordially

tty

---- On Wed, 12 Feb 2014 12:37:05 -0800 David T. Lewis<[hidden email]> wrote ----

Status is here:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7751

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7793

It should work on a freshly compiled interpreter VM if and only if
compiled in 32-bit mode (and yes we are overdue for a new official build).

I'm not sure of status on Cog but I know of no reason that it would not
work on Cog also.

> Hi folks,
>
> I did a quick smoke test by installing the image-side code and testing
> with
> the plugin that ships with Cog. That didn't work, so I'm trying to get an
> idea of how broken it is...
>
> Is anybody using SqueakSSL right now? Are there known problems and
> solutions? Did it mature enough for production use before Andreas died?
>
> Colin

Re: SqueakSSL

Göran Krampe
On 02/12/2014 09:37 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Status is here:
>
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7751
>
> http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7793
>
> It should work on a freshly compiled interpreter VM if and only if
> compiled in 32-bit mode (and yes we are overdue for a new official build).
>
> I'm not sure of status on Cog but I know of no reason that it would not
> work on Cog also.

We (3DICC) use SqueakSSL on both Win32, Mac and Linux - on Cog. In fact,
I fixed Mac just a week ago to verify certificates properly - its in my
"outbox" bound for Eliot or someone to stuff upstream.

And yeah, we use Levente's fix also.

And it ships in Pharo 2.0 also.

regards, Göran

Re: SqueakSSL

Colin Putney-3

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 4:42 PM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/12/2014 09:37 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
Status is here:

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7751

http://bugs.squeak.org/view.php?id=7793

It should work on a freshly compiled interpreter VM if and only if
compiled in 32-bit mode (and yes we are overdue for a new official build).

I'm not sure of status on Cog but I know of no reason that it would not
work on Cog also.

We (3DICC) use SqueakSSL on both Win32, Mac and Linux - on Cog. In fact, I fixed Mac just a week ago to verify certificates properly - its in my "outbox" bound for Eliot or someone to stuff upstream.

I ran into a cert verification problem on Mac, so I guess your fix is just what I need.

And yeah, we use Levente's fix also.

This seems to be in the current Cog sources, but it hasn't been shipped in Eliot's build yet.

Great, this was just the information I needed. Thanks!

Colin

Re: SqueakSSL

Göran Krampe
On 02/12/2014 11:11 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
> Great, this was just the information I needed. Thanks!

I will pack it up and post/send it tomorrow to ... well, Sven and Eliot
etc for committing it.

Note - SqueakSSL works just fine for client side stuff. But you don't
want to use it for server side with lots of connections... We kinda did
and realized that hey... there is no threading in this plugin so... only
one connection can decrypt/encrypt at one point in time - and of course
VM stops while it does so. Ouchy.

We moved to using stud on our servers. Works great and simple to setup.

regards, Göran

Re: SqueakSSL

Colin Putney-3

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 02/12/2014 11:11 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
Great, this was just the information I needed. Thanks!

I will pack it up and post/send it tomorrow to ... well, Sven and Eliot etc for committing it.

Great, thanks.

Note - SqueakSSL works just fine for client side stuff. But you don't want to use it for server side with lots of connections... We kinda did and realized that hey... there is no threading in this plugin so... only one connection can decrypt/encrypt at one point in time - and of course VM stops while it does so. Ouchy.

Right, the client-side is what I'm trying to use it for. My servers are behind a load balancer, which does SSL termination as well. Stud looks pretty awesome, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. :-)

Colin

Re: SqueakSSL

Paul DeBruicker
Colin Putney-3 wrote
On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:39 PM, Göran Krampe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 02/12/2014 11:11 PM, Colin Putney wrote:
>
>> Great, this was just the information I needed. Thanks!
>>

> I will pack it up and post/send it tomorrow to ... well, Sven and Eliot
> etc for committing it.

Great, thanks.

> Note - SqueakSSL works just fine for client side stuff. But you don't want
> to use it for server side with lots of connections... We kinda did and
> realized that hey... there is no threading in this plugin so... only one
> connection can decrypt/encrypt at one point in time - and of course VM
> stops while it does so. Ouchy.

Right, the client-side is what I'm trying to use it for. My servers are
behind a load balancer, which does SSL termination as well. Stud looks
pretty awesome, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. :-)

Colin
You're probably already aware of this but you can also use the webservers to encrypt connections from your client to 3rd party servers.  I learned about it from here (site is down right now): http://www.monkeysnatchbanana.com/posts/2010/06/22/faking-a-https-client-for-glass.html

instead of connecting direct from Squeak to

https://api.stripe.com (or any 3rd party)

1. set an alias in your /etc/hosts file for the 3rd party

127.0.0.1 stripe

from Squeak connect to

http://stripe

and have your webserver proxy those connections to  the 3rd party e.g. in nginx something like this

server
{
  server_name stripe;
  allow 127.0.0.1;
  deny all;
  location /
  {
    proxy_pass https://api.stripe.com;
  }
}

hope this helps

Paul

Re: SqueakSSL

Ron Teitelbaum

Hey Paul,

Thanks for that but the problem we were solving was connecting https from a user's client computer to our server via SSL/TLS.  The idea was to protect the traffic from client to server.  Having our squeak client speaking SSL for on both Win and Mac was essential and we use SqueakSSL for that.  We could have used Apache or Nginx to proxy the connection and just now looking at Nginx that might have been a very good solution.  We chose stud because it's clean, works with multiple cores and performs well.  In our experience it just works.  What I like about SqueakSSL is that it uses native SSL implementations so we get the best of the OS SSL implementations, although single threaded, on the client side with no fuss.  Our bottle neck was the server and that is handled well by STUD.  We also use STUD for server to server communication and that too just works really well.

All the best,

Ron Teitelbaum
Head Of Engineering
3d Immersive Collaboration Consulting