SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ;)

Torsten Bergmann
>SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down

Yes, it looks like SmalltalkHub replaces all features
of squeaksource and mimicks also the down behavior ;)

>Btw: anyone eager to try out
>SqueakSource3 ?
>It is available as and alpha Metacello Config.

Does it work with Pharo 1.2 already? Could you post
a script for people to load and try?

Thx
T.

Re: SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ;)

Tobias Pape

Am 2011-04-20 um 11:30 schrieb Torsten Bergmann:

>> SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down
>
> Yes, it looks like SmalltalkHub replaces all features
> of squeaksource and mimicks also the down behavior ;)
>
>> Btw: anyone eager to try out
>> SqueakSource3 ?
>> It is available as and alpha Metacello Config.
>
> Does it work with Pharo 1.2 already? Could you post
> a script for people to load and try?

Gofer new
        squeaksource: 'MetacelloRepository';
        package: 'ConfigurationOfSqueakSource';
        load.
((Smalltalk at: #ConfigurationOfSqueakSource) project version: #development) load.

I've yet to test whether it works in Pharo at all,
however, I tried to focus on portability.
I would be happy with any feedback :)

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ;)

Nicolas Petton
Le mercredi 20 avril 2011 à 11:30 +0200, Torsten Bergmann a écrit :
> >SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down
>
> Yes, it looks like SmalltalkHub replaces all features
> of squeaksource and mimicks also the down behavior ;)
Hehe :-)
I shutdown the demo of SmalltalkHub because of some issues we got,
especially a (stupid) security hole.

I'll let you know when it will be back online.

Cheers,
Nicolas

--
Nicolas Petton
http://www.nicolas-petton.fr

Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

garduino
Hi Tobias:

Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
features of Squeaksource3?

I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
some sort of data replication (only ideas
at the moment).

Thanks

Germán S. Arduino  <gsa @ arsol.net>   Twitter: garduino
Arduino Software & Web Hosting   http://www.arduinosoftware.com
PasswordsPro  http://www.passwordspro.com

Am 2011-04-20 um 12:32 schrieb Germán Arduino:

> Hi Tobias:
>
> Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
> features of Squeaksource3?
>
> I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
> some sort of data replication (only ideas
> at the moment).

Am 2011-04-20 um 12:32 schrieb Germán Arduino:

> Hi Tobias:
>
> Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
> features of Squeaksource3?
>
> I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
> some sort of data replication (only ideas
> at the moment).

I have not implemented replication yet, but it is
high on my list.

There are no _really_ distinct features
but in contrast to the oriiginal SqueakSource and
SqueakSource 2,
• runs on Seaside3.0 and Magritte 2
• is highly aimed to run on GemStone
• includes a basic Issue tracking implemented by Dale Henrichs

I integrated the features that were ‘lurking around’ ,
eg, in the source.squeak.org instance. So the recently added
direct access to diffs between versions as either .diff or .cs
is available in SqueakSource3, too.

My highest aim was to improve extensibility, to allow drop-ins
to extend squeaksource or to have a minimal one.
For example, you can load the mare minimum of SqueakSource without
even the ability to store versions to disk
or have a full-featured SqueakSource that
also includes Statistics, IssueTracking and (email) notification.

I hope that helps imagine the SqueakSource3 :)

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ;)

Janko Mivšek
On 20. 04. 2011 11:30, Torsten Bergmann wrote:
>> SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down
>
> Yes, it looks like SmalltalkHub replaces all features
> of squeaksource and mimicks also the down behavior ;)

Guys, be patient please, this is alpha release only! I think StHub is
worth waiting a bit more to stabilize and I'm sure Nico and Seb will
manage to do the job.

And you already see how big step forward not to mention all yet to be
explored potential has this hub, isn't that so?

Janko

--
Janko Mivšek
Aida/Web
http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ;)

Stéphane Ducasse
+1
Janko we support nic and seb do not worry :)
People are just too excited.
Stef

> SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down
>>
>> Yes, it looks like SmalltalkHub replaces all features
>> of squeaksource and mimicks also the down behavior ;)
>
> Guys, be patient please, this is alpha release only! I think StHub is
> worth waiting a bit more to stabilize and I'm sure Nico and Seb will
> manage to do the job.
>
> And you already see how big step forward not to mention all yet to be
> explored potential has this hub, isn't that so?
>
> Janko
>

> --
> Janko Mivšek
> Aida/Web
> Smalltalk Web Application Server
> http://www.aidaweb.si

Re: [Seaside] Re: [squeak-dev] Re: SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ; )

garduino
2011/4/20 Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>:

> Am 2011-04-20 um 12:32 schrieb Germán Arduino:
>
>> Hi Tobias:
>>
>> Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
>> features of Squeaksource3?
>>
>> I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
>> some sort of data replication (only ideas
>> at the moment).
>

> I have not implemented replication yet, but it is
> high on my list.
>
> There are no _really_ distinct features
> but in contrast to the oriiginal SqueakSource and
> SqueakSource 2,
> • runs on Seaside3.0 and Magritte 2
> • is highly aimed to run on GemStone
> • includes a basic Issue tracking implemented by Dale Henrichs
>
> I integrated the features that were ‘lurking around’ ,
> eg, in the source.squeak.org instance. So the recently added
> direct access to diffs between versions as either .diff or .cs
> is available in SqueakSource3, too.
>
> My highest aim was to improve extensibility, to allow drop-ins
> to extend squeaksource or to have a minimal one.
> For example, you can load the mare minimum of SqueakSource without
> even the ability to store versions to disk
> or have a full-featured SqueakSource that
> also includes Statistics, IssueTracking and (email) notification.
>
> I hope that helps imagine the SqueakSource3 :)
>
> So Long,
>        -Tobias_______________________________________________

Thanks for the comments Tobías. I've a good idea now and definitely I
will give it a try.

About the replication feature, do you have some ideas in mind?

I was thinking in different possibilities:

1. Develop a feature in the same squeaksource that does this.
2. Use some sort of replicated file system (as XtreemFS:
http://www.xtreemfs.org/). It will require to install it on XtreemOS
(http://www.xtreemos.eu/)
3. Use some nosql horizontally scalable DB (as Riak / Cassandra)
4. Use Magma/Gemstone

But, I repeat, just ideas until now. I was thinking in this feature to
my own use, because I need a reliable store of my source code on my
company.

Cheers.
Germán.

Re: SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ;)

Geert Claes
Administrator
Janko Mivšek wrote

Absolutely, at least we have been able to lift the lid and have a peak at what's coming :)

Am 2011-04-20 um 13:04 schrieb Germán Arduino:

> 2011/4/20 Tobias Pape <[hidden email]>:
>>
>> Am 2011-04-20 um 12:32 schrieb Germán Arduino:
>>
>>> Hi Tobias:
>>>
>>> Sorry if I'm asking something already explained, but what are the new
>>> features of Squeaksource3?
>>>
>>> I'm interested in try being that I was thinking in provide it with
>>> some sort of data replication (only ideas
>>> at the moment).
>>

>> I have not implemented replication yet, but it is
>> high on my list.
>>
>> There are no _really_ distinct features
>> but in contrast to the oriiginal SqueakSource and
>> SqueakSource 2,
>> • runs on Seaside3.0 and Magritte 2
>> • is highly aimed to run on GemStone
>> • includes a basic Issue tracking implemented by Dale Henrichs
>>
>> I integrated the features that were ‘lurking around’ ,
>> eg, in the source.squeak.org instance. So the recently added
>> direct access to diffs between versions as either .diff or .cs
>> is available in SqueakSource3, too.
>>
>> My highest aim was to improve extensibility, to allow drop-ins
>> to extend squeaksource or to have a minimal one.
>> For example, you can load the mare minimum of SqueakSource without
>> even the ability to store versions to disk
>> or have a full-featured SqueakSource that
>> also includes Statistics, IssueTracking and (email) notification.
>>
>> I hope that helps imagine the SqueakSource3 :)
>>
>> So Long,
>>        -Tobias_______________________________________________
>

> Thanks for the comments Tobías. I've a good idea now and definitely I
> will give it a try.
>
> About the replication feature, do you have some ideas in mind?
>
> I was thinking in different possibilities:
>
> 1. Develop a feature in the same squeaksource that does this.
> 2. Use some sort of replicated file system (as XtreemFS:
> http://www.xtreemfs.org/). It will require to install it on XtreemOS
> (http://www.xtreemos.eu/)
> 3. Use some nosql horizontally scalable DB (as Riak / Cassandra)
> 4. Use Magma/Gemstone

Gemstone already is my main target.
However, I think the synchronization of the Monticello versions
stored is less a problem than synchronization of the user data.
I think a  a replicated file system won't help there.

> But, I repeat, just ideas until now. I was thinking in this feature to
> my own use, because I need a reliable store of my source code on my
> company.

I think of a SqueakSource/GemStone appliance :)

So Long,
        -Tobias

Re: SqueakSource AND SmalltalkHub down ;)

SergeStinckwich
Maybe, you should put a nice page when the server is down.

--
Serge Stinckwich
Every DSL ends up being Smalltalk