SqueakSource

Robert Sirois
Who owns Squeaksource? It's been down for the last 19 hours at least :/

RS

Re: SqueakSource

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
<base href="x-msg://126/">
nobody that is proud of his work, that's for sure.

You are lucky is not friday. Last september I needed it badly and it when down friday afternoon... only about monday in the afternoon it came back online. That happened two weekends in a row.

#notFun

On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:02 AM, Robert Sirois wrote:

Who owns Squeaksource? It's been down for the last 19 hours at least :/

RS

Re: SqueakSource

Tudor Girba-2
Hi Sebastian,

First, squeaksource is free and it is hosted for free, too (as the main page says, squeaksource.com is hosted free of charge by the Software Composition Group, University of Bern).

Second, it is old: it dates from 2004:
http://www.squeaksource.com/ss.html

This was a great piece of infrastructure built by some cool guys, but now it shows its age:
http://www.squeaksource.com/ss.html

Please do not blame neither the authors, nor the current people that are still trying to keep it alive: basically, a couple of brave PhD students that maintain the infrastructure (not the code) in their spare time (namely, Jorge Ressia and Fabrizio Perin).

There is at least one other option that should be more stable:
http://ss3.gemstone.com/

And of course, in the meantime, we are all waiting for:
http://www.smalltalkhub.com/

So, all in all, please refrain from these kinds of remarks.

Cheers,
Doru

On 1 Dec 2011, at 13:10, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> nobody that is proud of his work, that's for sure.
>
> You are lucky is not friday. Last september I needed it badly and it when down friday afternoon... only about monday in the afternoon it came back online. That happened two weekends in a row.
>
> #notFun
>
> sebastian
>
> o/
>

> On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:02 AM, Robert Sirois wrote:
>
>> Who owns Squeaksource? It's been down for the last 19 hours at least :/
>>
>> RS

www.tudorgirba.com

"When people care, great things can happen."

Re: SqueakSource

sebastianconcept@gmail.co
Hey Doru,

I use it every day. With the exception of its non-existent process monitoring system, I DO appreciate squeaksource. And when you have plenty of free monitoring tools that, with a few configurations, could restart it automatically, you can't justify that kind of problem. Asking me to cover facts that clearly hurts the productivity of the community won't take us anywhere

BTW smalltalkhub sounds great

o/

On Dec 1, 2011, at 3:48 PM, Tudor Girba wrote:

[...]

Sven Van Caekenberghe

On 01 Dec 2011, at 19:22, Sebastian Sastre wrote:

> I use it every day. With the exception of its non-existent process monitoring system, I DO appreciate squeaksource. And when you have plenty of free monitoring tools that, with a few configurations, could restart it automatically, you can't justify that kind of problem. Asking me to cover facts that clearly hurts the productivity of the community won't take us anywhere

This has been discussed before: apparently, automatic restarts are not possible because the internal state gets corrupt.

The success of SqS is its problem I guess.

I too depend on it, as many others.

But as Doru said there is not really someone to blame.

Sven

RE: SqueakSource

Robert Sirois
Thanks Tudor. I wasn't looking for anyone to blame hehe.

I didn't realize there were some other projects (that I'd be totally willing to support) going on.

RS

> Subject: Re: [Seaside] SqueakSource

> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 18:48:09 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]
>
> Hi Sebastian,
>
> First, squeaksource is free and it is hosted for free, too (as the main page says, squeaksource.com is hosted free of charge by the Software Composition Group, University of Bern).
>
> Second, it is old: it dates from 2004:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ss.html
>
> This was a great piece of infrastructure built by some cool guys, but now it shows its age:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ss.html
>
> Please do not blame neither the authors, nor the current people that are still trying to keep it alive: basically, a couple of brave PhD students that maintain the infrastructure (not the code) in their spare time (namely, Jorge Ressia and Fabrizio Perin).
>
> There is at least one other option that should be more stable:
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/
>
> And of course, in the meantime, we are all waiting for:
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/
>

> So, all in all, please refrain from these kinds of remarks.
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 1 Dec 2011, at 13:10, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>
> > nobody that is proud of his work, that's for sure.
> >
> > You are lucky is not friday. Last september I needed it badly and it when down friday afternoon... only about monday in the afternoon it came back online. That happened two weekends in a row.
> >
> > #notFun
> >
> > sebastian
> >
> > o/
> >

> > On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:02 AM, Robert Sirois wrote:
> >
> >> Who owns Squeaksource? It's been down for the last 19 hours at least :/
> >>
> >> RS

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "When people care, great things can happen."

Re: SqueakSource

Mariano Martinez Peck

On Thu, Dec 1, 2011 at 10:20 PM, Robert Sirois <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks Tudor. I wasn't looking for anyone to blame hehe.

I didn't realize there were some other projects (that I'd be totally willing to support) going on.

If you want to migrate: http://marianopeck.wordpress.com/2011/11/08/migrating-projects-to-squeaksource3/
there is also a squeaksource mirror in Chile which you may find of help.

RS

> Subject: Re: [Seaside] SqueakSource
> From: [hidden email]
> Date: Thu, 1 Dec 2011 18:48:09 +0100
> To: [hidden email]
> CC: [hidden email]

> Hi Sebastian,
>
> First, squeaksource is free and it is hosted for free, too (as the main page says, squeaksource.com is hosted free of charge by the Software Composition Group, University of Bern).
>
> Second, it is old: it dates from 2004:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ss.html
>
> This was a great piece of infrastructure built by some cool guys, but now it shows its age:
> http://www.squeaksource.com/ss.html
>
> Please do not blame neither the authors, nor the current people that are still trying to keep it alive: basically, a couple of brave PhD students that maintain the infrastructure (not the code) in their spare time (namely, Jorge Ressia and Fabrizio Perin).
>
> There is at least one other option that should be more stable:
> http://ss3.gemstone.com/
>
> And of course, in the meantime, we are all waiting for:
> http://www.smalltalkhub.com/
>

> So, all in all, please refrain from these kinds of remarks.
>

> Cheers,
> Doru
>

> On 1 Dec 2011, at 13:10, Sebastian Sastre wrote:
>
> > nobody that is proud of his work, that's for sure.
> >
> > You are lucky is not friday. Last september I needed it badly and it when down friday afternoon... only about monday in the afternoon it came back online. That happened two weekends in a row.
> >

> > #notFun
> >
> > sebastian
> >
> > o/
> >

> > On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:02 AM, Robert Sirois wrote:
> >
> >> Who owns Squeaksource? It's been down for the last 19 hours at least :/
> >>
> >> RS

> www.tudorgirba.com
>
> "When people care, great things can happen."

Mariano

On Dec 1, 2011, at 5:51 PM, Sven Van Caekenberghe wrote:
I too depend on it, as many others.

But as Doru said there is not really someone to blame.

hey, this wasn't to blame somebody, specially having in mind they volunteered.

But I don't find okay to pretend it was good design.

No matter how good a VM is, things crash. Is not about if, is about when.

So not being fault tolerant in something you need resilient is a faulty design (no matter how old the software is).

If we face that, we will not find acceptable crappy design and things can only get better.

Again, I'm happy smalltalkhub is coming

Re: SqueakSource

Andreas.Raab
How about doing something to improve the situation a little while
squeaksource.com is still heavily in use? When we switched to the trunk
development model we gave source.squeak.org a long hard look and
improved its stability significantly. I'm sure some of these changes are
applicable to squeaksource.com as well.

If the image is available I'd be happy to take a look. And if debug logs
from system failures are available that would be even better.

Cheers,
   - Andreas