Squeaking up for "'click' sound play" (remainder of reply to bert )

Squeaking up for "'click' sound play" (remainder of reply to bert )

Jerome Peace
Hi Bert, Hi all,

I have dealt with  #sound vs. #asSound in a previous post.
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149365.html

One more thing needs dealing with:

Bert also wrote:
#asSampledSound would be even more correct, since I guess you would map it to "^SampledSound soundNamed: self", right?

The selector implements a facade for accessing one or more sound libraries in what ever class they are stored.

The spec is to return a playable object. It can be one from the sound library in sample sound or it can be something else. Beeper default is used as default for unfindable sounds. If someone were to increase the range by adding other libraries the selector could presumably exaust them all before settling on the default.

Currently the implementation is simple because only SampledSound and Beeper classes need to be called upon. However squeak has a whole lot of sounds it could be called upon to synthesize. Someday we might want to enhance this selector to allow a simple access to them.

Re: Squeaking up for "'click' sound play" (remainder of reply to bert )

Hannes Hirzel
Yes, Jerome

I am interested as well to have a good sound library in Squeak which
is easy to access. With a sound browser.....

Would it be possible to summarize with a few code snippets how we are
supposed to work with sounds as it is currently and secondy what you
think it should be in the future.

Hannes

On 4/23/10, Jerome Peace <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Bert, Hi all,
>

> I have dealt with  #sound vs. #asSound in a previous post.
> http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2010-April/149365.html
>
> One more thing needs dealing with:
>
> Bert also wrote:
> #asSampledSound would be even more correct, since I guess you would map it
> to "^SampledSound soundNamed: self", right?
>
> The selector implements a facade for accessing one or more sound libraries
> in what ever class they are stored.
>
> The spec is to return a playable object. It can be one from the sound
> library in sample sound or it can be something else. Beeper default is used
> as default for unfindable sounds. If someone were to increase the range by
> adding other libraries the selector could presumably exaust them all before
> settling on the default.
>
> Currently the implementation is simple because only SampledSound and Beeper
> classes need to be called upon. However squeak has a whole lot of sounds it
> could be called upon to synthesize. Someday we might want to enhance this
> selector to allow a simple access to them.
>
> Yours in curiosity and service, --Jerome Peace

Re: Squeaking up for "'click' sound play" (remainder of reply to bert )

Karl Ramberg
Hi,
in the Etoys image there is SoundLibraryTool which does some of this

Karl