Squeakland mailing lists

vickiS
I apologize in advance for not posting in the appropriate list but the Squeakland lists are not accessible right now. According to the irc chat log, someone from Sugarlabs asked about this a few weeks ago but I don't know if they got an answer through another avenue. I have noticed issues with the Squeakland website but I don't know if the website is in flux or if no one knows there are issues because the mailing list is down. I was able to sign up for an account but Etoys is no longer reading the Squeakland showcase directory. I was still able to upload a project through the website but the server didn't read any of the project information. The project is sitting in my account profile with no name or description. Timothy Falconer seems to have unsubscribed from the lists so I am unsure if he or someone else from Immuexa is maintaining the site. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thank you

Vicki

Re: Squeakland mailing lists

Bert Freudenberg
Hi Vicky!

you've found the right place :)

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 3:17 PM, vickiS <[hidden email]> wrote:
I apologize in advance for not posting in the appropriate list but the
Squeakland lists are not accessible right now. According to the irc chat
log, someone from Sugarlabs asked about this a few weeks ago but I don't
know if they got an answer through another avenue. I have noticed issues
with the Squeakland website but I don't know if the website is in flux or if
no one knows there are issues because the mailing list is down.

Yes, the lists are down ... we were about to migrate them to squeak.org servers but then had to do a server migration here too so it fell through the cracks it seems.

I was able
to sign up for an account but Etoys is no longer reading the Squeakland
showcase directory. I was still able to upload a project through the website
but the server didn't read any of the project information. The project is
sitting in my account profile with no name or description. Timothy Falconer
seems to have unsubscribed from the lists so I am unsure if he or someone
else from Immuexa is maintaining the site. Can anyone point me in the right
direction?

The website/showcase is somewhat broken right now and cannot really be used for sharing projects. You can still download projects and run them locally, but upload and browsing from within Etoys does not work.

I haven't spoken to Timothy in a while but AFAIK he doesn't have the time to fix it.

We are working on a new Etoys release based on squeak.org since squeakland.org has no active developers left anymore. Hopefully this will be able to connect to a new project repository, but we have no timeframe for that yet. In the mean time it's probably best if you host and share your projects by some other means.

- Bert -

Re: Squeakland mailing lists

vickiS
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply Bert. I'd just like to clarify a few things with you if I could. Does Squeakland Foundation exist anymore or is Etoys under the squeak.org umbrella now? Is the new release a major overhaul or more a version updated for the latest Squeak VM? Educational programming is a major topic right now and Etoys does come up in forum discussions so it's a great time for a new release. I'd like to post a blog about using Etoys ( I've been playing around with Squeak and Etoys for a couple of years now) but I don't want to post anything irrelevant, wrong or antagonistic to hard working developers.

Thanks again

Vicki