Squeaksource.com is down

David T. Lewis
The squeaksource.com service is down due to a failure in the squeaksource image.

Cause of failure and estimated time to fix are not yet known. Recovery may
require rebuilding from a backup image from 5 October 2016, so additional
downtime and possible loss of account data are likely. All actual files are
intact on the server and no data loss is anticipated.

Dave

Re: Squeaksource.com is down

Hans-Martin Mosner
Am 05.11.2016 20:38, schrieb David T. Lewis:

> The squeaksource.com service is down due to a failure in the
> squeaksource image.
>
> Cause of failure and estimated time to fix are not yet known. Recovery
> may
> require rebuilding from a backup image from 5 October 2016, so
> additional
> downtime and possible loss of account data are likely. All actual files
> are
> intact on the server and no data loss is anticipated.
>
> Dave

There seems to be a suspicious link between the fifth of the month and
squeaksource.com going down...
It's not entirely down, but it's not working as expected either...

Cheers,
Hans-Martin

Re: Squeaksource.com is down

David T. Lewis
Thanks, hopefully just the user interface is scrambled. This happens when
a new user registers with a multibyte user name (which happens
surprisingly often, I would not have expected a lot of new users).

I am away, returning home 10 hours from now. I'll check into it then if no
one else has done so.

Dave

> Am 05.11.2016 20:38, schrieb David T. Lewis:
>> The squeaksource.com service is down due to a failure in the
>> squeaksource image.
>>
>> Cause of failure and estimated time to fix are not yet known. Recovery
>> may
>> require rebuilding from a backup image from 5 October 2016, so
>> additional
>> downtime and possible loss of account data are likely. All actual files
>> are
>> intact on the server and no data loss is anticipated.
>>
>> Dave
>
> There seems to be a suspicious link between the fifth of the month and
> squeaksource.com going down...
> It's not entirely down, but it's not working as expected either...
>
> Cheers,
> Hans-Martin

Re: Squeaksource.com is down

Levente Uzonyi
On Mon, 5 Dec 2016, David T. Lewis wrote:

> Thanks, hopefully just the user interface is scrambled. This happens when
> a new user registers with a multibyte user name (which happens
> surprisingly often, I would not have expected a lot of new users).

Yes, that's exactly the case. We should fix that.

> I am away, returning home 10 hours from now. I'll check into it then if no
> one else has done so.

I tried to, but the VM wouldn't respond to USR2.

Levente

> Dave
>
>> Am 05.11.2016 20:38, schrieb David T. Lewis:
>>> The squeaksource.com service is down due to a failure in the
>>> squeaksource image.
>>>
>>> Cause of failure and estimated time to fix are not yet known. Recovery
>>> may
>>> require rebuilding from a backup image from 5 October 2016, so
>>> additional
>>> downtime and possible loss of account data are likely. All actual files
>>> are
>>> intact on the server and no data loss is anticipated.
>>>
>>> Dave
>>
>> There seems to be a suspicious link between the fifth of the month and
>> squeaksource.com going down...
>> It's not entirely down, but it's not working as expected either...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Hans-Martin

Re: Squeaksource.com is down

Chris Muller-3
On Mon, Dec 5, 2016 at 10:17 AM, Levente Uzonyi <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Dec 2016, David T. Lewis wrote:
>
>> Thanks, hopefully just the user interface is scrambled. This happens when
>> a new user registers with a multibyte user name (which happens
>> surprisingly often, I would not have expected a lot of new users).
>

> Yes, that's exactly the case. We should fix that.

And make sure its versioned into the code packages in the /ss
repository.  It can be loaded with:

    Installer new merge: #squeaksource

A lot of other bugs that got fixed in that code when source.squeak.org
got upgraded, but I never went through the dirty packages in the
production squeaksource.com image to evaluate whether those changes
are needed in the latest code.  We should do that too.

Re: Squeaksource.com is down

David T. Lewis

Re: Squeaksource.com is down

Bob Arning-2
The fans of Chelsea football are known to sing to their fullback, César Azpilicueta:

"Azpilicueta, we'll just call you Dave"

Maybe that's the way to go here? ;-)

On 12/5/16 9:26 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:
On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 03:59:44PM +0100, Hans-Martin Mosner wrote:
Am 05.11.2016 20:38, schrieb David T. Lewis:
The squeaksource.com service is down due to a failure in the
squeaksource image.

Cause of failure and estimated time to fix are not yet known. Recovery
may
require rebuilding from a backup image from 5 October 2016, so
additional
downtime and possible loss of account data are likely. All actual files
are
intact on the server and no data loss is anticipated.

Dave
There seems to be a suspicious link between the fifth of the month and
squeaksource.com going down...
It's not entirely down, but it's not working as expected either...

Thanks, the UI web page should be back to normal now. Apologies to new user
Bruno MᲣio Ramos de Souza Novaes, whose name name I mangled in
the repository as 'Bruno M?io Ramos de Souza Novaes'.

And yes we should fix that. A good name should not be mangled.

My understanding is that updating Squeak + Seaside will resolve the WideString
problem for user names. That will happen when we update squeaksource.com to
be consistent with source.squeak.org, which IMO would be a good thing to do
in January.

Dave

Re: Squeaksource.com is down

David T. Lewis
On Mon, Dec 05, 2016 at 10:05:12PM -0500, Bob Arning wrote:
> The fans of Chelsea football are known to sing to their fullback, C??sar
> Azpilicueta:
>
> "Azpilicueta, we'll just call you Dave"
>
> Maybe that's the way to go here? ;-)

An excellent strategy, what could possibly go wrong?

  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nxK_hGLTN4

Dave

> On 12/5/16 9:26 PM, David T. Lewis wrote:

> >>There seems to be a suspicious link between the fifth of the month and
> >>squeaksource.com going down...
> >>It's not entirely down, but it's not working as expected either...
> >>
> >Thanks, the UI web page should be back to normal now. Apologies to new user
> >Bruno M???io Ramos de Souza Novaes, whose name name I mangled in
> >the repository as 'Bruno M?io Ramos de Souza Novaes'.
> >
> >And yes we should fix that. A good name should not be mangled.
> >
> >My understanding is that updating Squeak + Seaside will resolve the
> >WideString
> >problem for user names. That will happen when we update squeaksource.com to
> >be consistent with source.squeak.org, which IMO would be a good thing to do
> >in January.
> >
> >Dave

Re: Squeaksource.com is down

Bob Arning-2

If you are collecting Dave videos, you can add this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkQg4C8oriY

to your favorites.