Squeaksource default license (was Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final)

Squeaksource default license (was Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final)

Sean P. DeNigris
Administrator
<quote author="Torsten Bergmann">
Maybe the license should be a
required field in Squeaksource for any new project.
</quote>

Yes! /And/ *default to MIT.*  Even though in this case Andreas chose other-than MIT on purpose, how many projects are not MIT simply because the default is a choice other than "the one most valuable to the community."  Let's use this opportunity to improve for the future :)

Sean
Cheers,
Sean

Re: Squeaksource default license (was Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final)

Nicolas Cellier
Despite the fact every thing I published was MIT, I would not like to
be forced to, even by default.
I prefer the license to be kept an explicit engagement.

Nicolas

2010/8/30 DeNigris Sean <[hidden email]>:
> <quote author="Torsten Bergmann">
> Maybe the license should be a
> required field in Squeaksource for any new project.
> </quote>
>
> Yes! /And/ *default to MIT.*  Even though in this case Andreas chose other-than MIT on purpose, how many projects are not MIT simply because the default is a choice other than "the one most valuable to the community."  Let's use this opportunity to improve for the future :)
>
> Sean

Re: Squeaksource default license (was Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final)

Yanni Chiu
How about setting a different background colour for all projects that
are not MIT licensed.

--
Yanni

Nicolas Cellier wrote:

> Despite the fact every thing I published was MIT, I would not like to
> be forced to, even by default.
> I prefer the license to be kept an explicit engagement.
>
> Nicolas
>
> 2010/8/30 DeNigris Sean <[hidden email]>:
>> <quote author="Torsten Bergmann">
>> Maybe the license should be a
>> required field in Squeaksource for any new project.
>> </quote>
>>
>> Yes! /And/ *default to MIT.*  Even though in this case Andreas chose other-than MIT on purpose, how many projects are not MIT simply because the default is a choice other than "the one most valuable to the community."  Let's use this opportunity to improve for the future :)
>>
>> Sean

Re: Squeaksource default license (was Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final)

Frank Shearar
On 2010/08/30 21:40, DeNigris Sean wrote:
> <quote author="Torsten Bergmann">
> Maybe the license should be a
> required field in Squeaksource for any new project.
> </quote>
>
> Yes! /And/ *default to MIT.*  Even though in this case Andreas chose other-than MIT on purpose, how many projects are not MIT simply because the default is a choice other than "the one most valuable to the community."  Let's use this opportunity to improve for the future :)

Where am I not looking, that I can't see WebClient's licence? If I look
at http://www.squeaksource.com/SipStack/ for instance I see a Licence
title and paragraph.

Perhaps we should always have a Licence paragraph, even if it only says
"the author has not chosen a licence" or something.

frank

Re: Squeaksource default license (was Re: WebClient-Core port to Pharo 1.1 final)

stephane ducasse-2
Yes good idea.

may be we black skulls :)

Stef