SstHttpClient fetch: newVersionUrl

Louis LaBrunda
Hi All,

I'm using SstHttpClient fetch: 'http://www.keystone-software.com/ftp/download/windows/X10/KscX10ControllerInstallV1_06.msi' to download a large (10MB) file from my web site.  This works great.  It takes about 10 seconds.  I would like to start the download and while it is running, then prompt (AbtFileSelectionPrompter) the user for a place to put the file.  I've tried forking both the file download and the prompt.  From testing it looks like the download starts but it seem once the prompt it open the download is paused until the prompt is answered by the user.  Am I messing this up or is there really no way to do both at once.

All ideas welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Lou

Re: SstHttpClient fetch: newVersionUrl

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Everybody,

On Tuesday, July 12, 2016 at 6:15:58 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi All,

I'm using SstHttpClient fetch: '<a href="http://www.keystone-software.com/ftp/download/windows/X10/KscX10ControllerInstallV1_06.msi" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.keystone-software.com%2Fftp%2Fdownload%2Fwindows%2FX10%2FKscX10ControllerInstallV1_06.msi\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFP-f_8iMjIeTZQTkiPhbedU0_t0Q&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.keystone-software.com%2Fftp%2Fdownload%2Fwindows%2FX10%2FKscX10ControllerInstallV1_06.msi\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFP-f_8iMjIeTZQTkiPhbedU0_t0Q&#39;;return true;">http://www.keystone-software.com/ftp/download/windows/X10/KscX10ControllerInstallV1_06.msi' to download a large (10MB) file from my web site.  This works great.  It takes about 10 seconds.  I would like to start the download and while it is running, then prompt (AbtFileSelectionPrompter) the user for a place to put the file.  I've tried forking both the file download and the prompt.  From testing it looks like the download starts but it seem once the prompt it open the download is paused until the prompt is answered by the user.  Am I messing this up or is there really no way to do both at once.

All ideas welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Lou

As I mentioned in my post about a multi threaded VM, I have also seen a problem (that I haven't reported) with GUI programs that have some socket transfers and handshaking going on in the background and the user drops down a menu and lets the mouse hover there while he thinks about what to do, the socket doesn't seem to get any love and times out.  I think the common cause here is that both the menu and save file prompt are Windows widgets and that there use blocks the thread.  This is just a guess.

It looks like AbtFileSelectionPrompter boils down to making a windows GetSaveFileNameA(LPOPENFILENAMEA) call.  Does anyone have any idea if this can be called in a non blocking way?  Or if it has a non blocking sibling?

Lou

Re: SstHttpClient fetch: newVersionUrl

Seth Berman
Hi Lou,

You are correct...menu popup and modal dialogs will block smalltalk processes.  This has been the situation since the first release of the product.  There have been many efforts by folks, including IBM historically, to attempt to prevent this.  As far as we know...none of those efforts were successful.
Changing this would likely involve a significant rearchitecture of VAST's windows message handling logic.  Due to this, and our other priorities, this isn't a situation we will be changing in the near-term.
However, if you (or anybody else) has additional information about how to make this work...we would definitely be interested in knowing.

-- Seth

I'm using SstHttpClient fetch: '<a href="http://www.keystone-software.com/ftp/download/windows/X10/KscX10ControllerInstallV1_06.msi" rel="nofollow" target="_blank" onmousedown="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.keystone-software.com%2Fftp%2Fdownload%2Fwindows%2FX10%2FKscX10ControllerInstallV1_06.msi\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFP-f_8iMjIeTZQTkiPhbedU0_t0Q&#39;;return true;" onclick="this.href=&#39;http://www.google.com/url?q\x3dhttp%3A%2F%2Fwww.keystone-software.com%2Fftp%2Fdownload%2Fwindows%2FX10%2FKscX10ControllerInstallV1_06.msi\x26sa\x3dD\x26sntz\x3d1\x26usg\x3dAFQjCNFP-f_8iMjIeTZQTkiPhbedU0_t0Q&#39;;return true;">http://www.keystone-software.com/ftp/download/windows/X10/KscX10ControllerInstallV1_06.msi' to download a large (10MB) file from my web site.  This works great.  It takes about 10 seconds.  I would like to start the download and while it is running, then prompt (AbtFileSelectionPrompter) the user for a place to put the file.  I've tried forking both the file download and the prompt.  From testing it looks like the download starts but it seem once the prompt it open the download is paused until the prompt is answered by the user.  Am I messing this up or is there really no way to do both at once.

[...]

Instantiations mailing list
Hi Lou,

a work-around is pretty simple ... put the curl.exe executable beside
your VAApplication and start an external task to do the work.

Has some drawbacks, but also some benefits:

- mainstream technology used by lots of people
- offers more support for technology used today

Marten

0xF93E9756.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: SstHttpClient fetch: newVersionUrl

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Marten,

Could I get curl to do both the download and file name prompt at the same time?

Lou

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 1:26:39 PM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
Hi Lou,

a work-around is pretty simple ... put the curl.exe executable beside
your VAApplication and start an external task to do the work.

Has some drawbacks, but also some benefits:

- mainstream technology used by lots of people
- offers more support for technology used today

Marten

Am 15.07.2016 um 17:55 schrieb Seth Berman:

> Hi Lou,
>
> You are correct...menu popup and modal dialogs will block smalltalk
> processes.  This has been the situation since the first release of the
> product.  There have been many efforts by folks, including IBM
> historically, to attempt to prevent this.  As far as we know...none of
> those efforts were successful.
> Changing this would likely involve a significant rearchitecture of
> VAST's windows message handling logic.  Due to this, and our other
> priorities, this isn't a situation we will be changing in the near-term.
> However, if you (or anybody else) has additional information about how
> to make this work...we would definitely be interested in knowing.

Re: SstHttpClient fetch: newVersionUrl

Instantiations mailing list
You make a download to a temporary file name by curl (in an external
thread), the renaming is done later via Smalltalk - when the external
thread terminates.

Marten

Am 15.07.2016 um 20:23 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:

> Hi Marten,
>
> Could I get curl to do both the download and file name prompt at the
> same time?
>
> Lou
>
> On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 1:26:39 PM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
>
>     Hi Lou,
>
>     a work-around is pretty simple ... put the curl.exe executable beside
>     your VAApplication and start an external task to do the work.
>
>     Has some drawbacks, but also some benefits:
>
>     - mainstream technology used by lots of people
>     - offers more support for technology used today
>
>     Marten
>
>     Am 15.07.2016 um 17:55 schrieb Seth Berman:
>     > Hi Lou,
>     >
>     > You are correct...menu popup and modal dialogs will block smalltalk
>     > processes.  This has been the situation since the first release of
>     the
>     > product.  There have been many efforts by folks, including IBM
>     > historically, to attempt to prevent this.  As far as we
>     know...none of
>     > those efforts were successful.
>     > Changing this would likely involve a significant rearchitecture of
>     > VAST's windows message handling logic.  Due to this, and our other
>     > priorities, this isn't a situation we will be changing in the
>     near-term.
>     > However, if you (or anybody else) has additional information about
>     how
>     > to make this work...we would definitely be interested in knowing.
>     >

> <mailto:[hidden email]>.
> Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/va-smalltalk.

0xF93E9756.asc (2K) Download Attachment

Re: SstHttpClient fetch: newVersionUrl

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Seth,

Would it be possible to start a new thread when ever the VM is about to make a windows call that would block?  That thread could then signal that it was finished.  The main thread could then take the results and terminate the thread that called windows or keep it for next time.  Is there some option like this for ODBC or DB2 database calls?

Lou

P.S.  I realize that what I'm suggesting may just be showing my ignorance but what the hell, maybe if you don't know something is almost impossible, you can come up with a solution.

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 11:55:04 AM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
[...]

Thanks Marten.

On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 2:29:07 PM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
You make a download to a temporary file name by curl (in an external
thread), the renaming is done later via Smalltalk - when the external
thread terminates.

Marten

Am 15.07.2016 um 20:23 schrieb Louis LaBrunda:

> Hi Marten,
>
> Could I get curl to do both the download and file name prompt at the
> same time?
>
> Lou
>
> On Friday, July 15, 2016 at 1:26:39 PM UTC-4, Marten Feldtmann wrote:
>
>     Hi Lou,
>
>     a work-around is pretty simple ... put the curl.exe executable beside
>     your VAApplication and start an external task to do the work.
>
>     Has some drawbacks, but also some benefits:
>
>     - mainstream technology used by lots of people
>     - offers more support for technology used today
>
>     Marten
>
>     Am 15.07.2016 um 17:55 schrieb Seth Berman:
>     > Hi Lou,
>     >
>     > You are correct...menu popup and modal dialogs will block smalltalk
>     > processes.  This has been the situation since the first release of
>     the
>     > product.  There have been many efforts by folks, including IBM
>     > historically, to attempt to prevent this.  As far as we
>     know...none of
>     > those efforts were successful.
>     > Changing this would likely involve a significant rearchitecture of
>     > VAST's windows message handling logic.  Due to this, and our other
>     > priorities, this isn't a situation we will be changing in the
>     near-term.
>     > However, if you (or anybody else) has additional information about
>     how
>     > to make this work...we would definitely be interested in knowing.
>     >

Re: SstHttpClient fetch: newVersionUrl

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Seth,

It seems that AbtFileSelectionPrompter eventually uses OSFileDialog and eventually OSOpenfilename which seems to have a callback hook:

might it be possible to continue doing some work in between callbacks?

Lou

[...]

I roughly see why this works...but I don't understand the complete impact yet.  I saw it in a historical case, so this is an experiment:)
Change #callWith to #coroutineCallWith: in these 2 methods (I tried asyncCall...but that doesn't work...I think this has to be a dedicated static future)
OSOpenfilename>>getOpenFileName
OSOpenfilename>>getSaveFileName

Run the following to write out 'Hello Smalltalk!' 20 times (with 1 sec delay) to the transcript in background process
[20 timesRepeat: [CwAppContext default asyncExecInUI: [Transcript show: 'Hello Smalltalk!'; cr].
(Delay forSeconds: 1) wait]] fork.

While this is happening....open a file dialog.  At this point I'm assuming both the dialog works and the background process continues to write to the Transcript?

The prereqs are all wrong for this...so there would have to be a large amount of re-org if this actually works with no negative consequences....but it might do what you need.
I imagine the menu popups would need to take a similar approach....but I did not try that.

-- Seth

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 12:14:13 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
[...]

WOW!!!  That worked.  Both your test and in my download file code.  If the user spends any time deciding where to save the file, in my tests about 10 seconds, the file is already downloaded and ready to save when the code returns from the prompt.  Now to figure out what I need to package it.

Thanks and I hope this helps with the menu problem.

Lou

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 3:37:43 PM UTC-4, Seth Berman wrote:
[...]

I added AbtThreadsApp as a prerequisite to my program and was able to package cleanly.  I know that's not the right way to do it but I figured the app might be included anyway even though the cart is before the horse.  Just to be safe I think I will setup my maps to only load the changed code for this app and not all the rest of my programs, after all, I make some money off them and this app is just for fun.

Have fun figuring out how to do the re-org:))

Lou

On Monday, July 18, 2016 at 5:22:18 PM UTC-4, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
[...]

Thanks:)
Unfortunately, my brief tour of doing something like that for menus yielded the aforementioned architectural issue.
These are deeply integrated with the OSEventManager and how incoming windows messages are processed.
That one is an entirely different issue I'm afraid.  But I'm glad your dialog works:)

-- Seth