StCAD is open source

askoh
Administrator
Hi:

I have just open source StCAD (MIT license) which has the code for freeCAD.
http://askoh.com/stcad
Although written in VisualWorks Smalltalk, I hope Pharo users will port it
in part or whole.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

What is 'StCAD'?

'StCAD' is a basic 3D CAD framework in Smalltalk (VisualWorks 8.x). It
extends
the GF/ST 2D drawing framework into 3D. It also include 'StCAD-Geo' which is
the 3D geometric domain, 'StCAD-Math' which provides the mathematical
support
for 3D CAD and motion simulation computations, and 'StCAD-Doc' which is a
simple word processor. 'StCAD-Math' is also suitable for engineering,
scientific and business computing. The parcels are open source using MIT
License. Users can use these parcels with other private software to create
3D
applications like motion simulation, finite element analysis, CAD,
scientific
visualization, etc.

'StCAD' allows users to create and manipulate assemblies, which are
collections of 3D parts. The parts are 3D solids, which can be connected by
joints, constraints, contacts, actuators, springs, dampers or forces. The
parts and connections define the structure or mechanism that the assembly is
meant to represent. Animation is possible, if the user can provide time
series
of position and orientation data for the parts.

Users can also obtain output data in the form of plots and tables. XY plots
can be zoomed and set to equal scales. Data series available include linear
and angular displacements, velocities, accelerations and other user
generated
data.

'StCAD' has been used to create a freeware called 'freeCAD' which is a 3D
CAD
with Motion Simulation. For more information visit:
http://www.askoh.com

Re: StCAD is open source

Offray Vladimir Luna Cárdenas-2
Thanks a lot.

BTW, the page at [1] looks really good for a graphical software. Maybe
some of its looks could be put in the CAD software repos, just to give a
glimpse of what is possible with FreeCAD and StCAD.

[1] http://www.ar-cad.com/index.html

Cheers,

Offray

On 24/06/18 19:05, askoh wrote:

> Hi:
>
> I have just open source StCAD (MIT license) which has the code for freeCAD.
> http://askoh.com/stcad
> Although written in VisualWorks Smalltalk, I hope Pharo users will port it
> in part or whole.
>
> All the best,
> Aik-Siong Koh
>
> What is 'StCAD'?
>
> 'StCAD' is a basic 3D CAD framework in Smalltalk (VisualWorks 8.x). It
> extends
> the GF/ST 2D drawing framework into 3D. It also include 'StCAD-Geo' which is
> the 3D geometric domain, 'StCAD-Math' which provides the mathematical
> support
> for 3D CAD and motion simulation computations, and 'StCAD-Doc' which is a
> simple word processor. 'StCAD-Math' is also suitable for engineering,
> scientific and business computing. The parcels are open source using MIT
> License. Users can use these parcels with other private software to create
> 3D
> applications like motion simulation, finite element analysis, CAD,
> scientific
> visualization, etc.
>
> 'StCAD' allows users to create and manipulate assemblies, which are
> collections of 3D parts. The parts are 3D solids, which can be connected by
> joints, constraints, contacts, actuators, springs, dampers or forces. The
> parts and connections define the structure or mechanism that the assembly is
> meant to represent. Animation is possible, if the user can provide time
> series
> of position and orientation data for the parts.
>
> Users can also obtain output data in the form of plots and tables. XY plots
> can be zoomed and set to equal scales. Data series available include linear
> and angular displacements, velocities, accelerations and other user
> generated
> data.
>
> 'StCAD' has been used to create a freeware called 'freeCAD' which is a 3D
> CAD
> with Motion Simulation. For more information visit:
> http://www.askoh.com

Re: StCAD is open source

HilaireFernandes
Impressive!

Hilaire

--
Dr. Geo
http://drgeo.eu

Re: StCAD is open source

cedreek
Excellent !

(BTW, I have problem opening your website).

It will be hard to port to pharo ?
The main difficulty is to have an equivalent for GF/ST 2D ?

Cheers,

Cedrick

> Le 25 juin 2018 à 21:05, Hilaire <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> Impressive!
>
> Hilaire
>

>> Le 25/06/2018 à 02:05, askoh a écrit :
>> I have just open source StCAD (MIT license) which has the code for freeCAD.
>> http://askoh.com/stcad
>> Although written in VisualWorks Smalltalk, I hope Pharo users will port it
>> in part or whole.
>
> --
> Dr. Geo
> http://drgeo.eu

Re: StCAD is open source

askoh
Administrator
Hi:

I have been careful to separate the GUI, Geometry, Multibody Dynamics and
Math. Only the GUI would need customization for Pharo. The others use pretty
generic Smalltalk. I suspect the GUI bits from Jun4Pharo, Woden and Croquet
should be sufficient for StCAD port. StCAD uses a bit of Jun and a bit of
GF/ST and a bit of Business Graphics Kit. I am willing to help anyone
starting the port. It can be the basis of a CAD system.

All the best,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: StCAD is open source

askoh
Administrator
Hi:

I am preparing to port StCAD from VisualWorks to Pharo. Please advise how
this can be done most efficiently. I am not familiar with Pharo GUI
development.

StCAD uses Jun which uses OpenGL and GLUT. I am open to using newer graphics
frameworks and CUDA or OpenCL.

Thanks,
Aik-Siong Koh

Re: StCAD is open source

Noury Bouraqadi-2
Hi

On 15 Dec 2018, at 06:32, askoh <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi:

I am preparing to port StCAD from VisualWorks to Pharo. Please advise how
this can be done most efficiently. I am not familiar with Pharo GUI
development.

You should have a look to:
Spec

Roassal