StORE connection profiles and unencrypted passwords

StORE connection profiles and unencrypted passwords

Charles Adams
Most of the time we create connection profiles to postgres databases that are secure and unique to the installation of postgres. But I was a bit surprised to find the connection profiles in readable format in the file "repositories.xml." In this file, passwords are not encrypted and clearly readable.

So, we changed some things in the RepositoryManager and MiniRepositoryManager to hide the passwords and prompt at connection time. We've ensured that passwords are purged from the image upon image save and that passwords never reach the XML file.

I am now wondering what the community thinks of the default habits of StORE and connection profiles. Are there other solutions to this problem? Maybe I've missed something.

Charles Adams
Adventa

RE: StORE connection profiles and unencrypted passwords

Boris Popov, DeepCove Labs (SNN)
Little while ago I implemented something called EncryptedSettings, which is
a parcel you can load from a standard distribution now. This will allow you
to extend any SettingsManager (including VisualWorksSettings) with #cipher
to encrypt/decrypt the external settings file.

Hope this helps,

-Boris

--
+1.604.689.0322
DeepCove Labs Ltd.

[hidden email]

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

attachments.

Thank you.

smime.p7s (4K) Download Attachment

Re: StORE connection profiles and unencrypted passwords

Charles Adams
Thanks, but I don't really even want an encrypted version of my password
saved in an XML file. I don't let Windows save my passwords; why would I let
Store?

> Little while ago I implemented something called EncryptedSettings, which
> is
> a parcel you can load from a standard distribution now. This will allow
> you
> to extend any SettingsManager (including VisualWorksSettings) with #cipher
> to encrypt/decrypt the external settings file.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> -Boris
>
> --
> +1.604.689.0322
> DeepCove Labs Ltd.
> 4th floor 595 Howe Street
> Vancouver, Canada V6C 2T5
>
> [hidden email]
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
>
> This email is intended only for the persons named in the message
> header. Unless otherwise indicated, it contains information that is
> private and confidential. If you have received it in error, please
> notify the sender and delete the entire message including any
> attachments.
>
> Thank you.

Charles A. Monteiro-2
Charlie:

in my automated builds I specifically wipe out the passwords from the
image, but here is the thing, for a developer working on his image , which
is secured via whatever security he has on his desktop/PC etc, it sure is
convenient to not have to type things in all the time, so I guess I
consider it okay "default" behavior.

--
Charles A. Monteiro
http://wiki.nycsmalltalk.org
http://monteirofusion.blogspot.com

Re: StORE connection profiles and unencrypted passwords

Chris Winemiller
Saving images and repository files without passwords is important if the
product you deliver to your customer is the entire development
environment, including images.  That is the case with one of Adventa's
products.  You want to ensure that an image sent to your customer does
not accidentally contain your own passwords.

Why does Adventa deliver the entire VW development environment
(including Adventa classes)?  Because the product is a software
framework that is extended by the customer.

Does anyone here routinely provide the development environment to the
customer?  If so, how do you deal with Store passwords?

Chris

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> Charlie:
>
> in my automated builds I specifically wipe out the passwords from the
> image, but here is the thing, for a developer working on his image ,
> which is secured via whatever security he has on his desktop/PC etc,
> it sure is convenient to not have to type things in all the time, so I
> guess I consider it okay "default" behavior.
>

> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:13:01 -0400, Charlie Adams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thanks, but I don't really even want an encrypted version of my
>> password saved in an XML file. I don't let Windows save my passwords;
>> why would I let Store?
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Boris Popov"
>> <[hidden email]>

very easy, remove connection profiles and wipe out the password from the
default profile i.e. off the top of my head the Global <DbRegistry> once
inspected will show an instVar called <recentProfile>, you can write a
script to wipe out the password which you can run prior to saving your
image.

BTW, if you break into the connection dialog off the VW launcher you will
get an idea of what's there and therefore figure out what you want to do,
by breaking into i.e. mean control-y, walk down the stack until you see
the spot where the dialog is popped, start sniffing :)

hth,

-Charles

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:47:46 -0400, Chris Winemiller
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Saving images and repository files without passwords is important if the
> product you deliver to your customer is the entire development
> environment, including images.  That is the case with one of Adventa's
> products.  You want to ensure that an image sent to your customer does
> not accidentally contain your own passwords.
>
> Why does Adventa deliver the entire VW development environment
> (including Adventa classes)?  Because the product is a software
> framework that is extended by the customer.
>
> Does anyone here routinely provide the development environment to the
> customer?  If so, how do you deal with Store passwords?
>
> Chris
>
> Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
>> Charlie:
>>
>> in my automated builds I specifically wipe out the passwords from the
>> image, but here is the thing, for a developer working on his image ,
>> which is secured via whatever security he has on his desktop/PC etc, it
>> sure is convenient to not have to type things in all the time, so I
>> guess I consider it okay "default" behavior.
>>

>> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006 13:13:01 -0400, Charlie Adams
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks, but I don't really even want an encrypted version of my
>>> password saved in an XML file. I don't let Windows save my passwords;
>>> why would I let Store?
>>>
>>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Boris Popov"
>>> <[hidden email]>

Charles,

Sorry, I didn't phrase my question very well.  We already know how to
customize VW to remove the password when saving the image.  The question
should be: Assuming you deliver the development environment (including
the image) to the customer, what procedure do you use to prevent the
customer from accidentally getting access to your Store passwords?  One
can simply remove all connection profiles from the image using the
Repository Manager in the image.  But it's too easy to forget to do
this.  So what alternative do you use?

It would be nice if out-of-the-box VW supported a Settings option that
would allow one to choose whether or not to remove Store passwords when
saving the image, and whether or not to save passwords in the
repository.xml file(s).

Chris

Charles A. Monteiro wrote:

> very easy, remove connection profiles and wipe out the password from the
> default profile i.e. off the top of my head the Global <DbRegistry> once
> inspected will show an instVar called <recentProfile>, you can write a
> script to wipe out the password which you can run prior to saving your
> image.
>
> BTW, if you break into the connection dialog off the VW launcher you
> will get an idea of what's there and therefore figure out what you want
> to do, by breaking into i.e. mean control-y, walk down the stack until
> you see the spot where the dialog is popped, start sniffing :)
>
> hth,
>
> -Charles
>
> On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:47:46 -0400, Chris Winemiller
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Saving images and repository files without passwords is important if
>> the product you deliver to your customer is the entire development
>> environment, including images.  That is the case with one of Adventa's
>> products.  You want to ensure that an image sent to your customer does
>> not accidentally contain your own passwords.
>>
>> Why does Adventa deliver the entire VW development environment
>> (including Adventa classes)?  Because the product is a software
>> framework that is extended by the customer.
>>
>> Does anyone here routinely provide the development environment to the
>> customer?  If so, how do you deal with Store passwords?
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
>>> Charlie:
>>>
>>> in my automated builds I specifically wipe out the passwords from the
>>> image, but here is the thing, for a developer working on his image ,
>>> which is secured via whatever security he has on his desktop/PC etc,
>>> it sure is convenient to not have to type things in all the time, so
>>> I guess I consider it okay "default" behavior.

Chris:

In order to not forget things and I would :) , I have built a dev image
build process that enforces what I want, so that is what I do. Many have
built such things. As far as:

> It would be nice if out-of-the-box VW supported a Settings option that
> would allow one to choose whether or not to remove Store passwords when
> saving the image, and whether or not to save passwords in the
> repository.xml file(s).

that would be easy enough to put in yourself, as a paying customer you can
make an official feature request i.e. thru official channels but if you
are extremely lucky that would make it in by December-ish 2006

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 10:10:24 -0400, Chris Winemiller
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Charles,
>
> Sorry, I didn't phrase my question very well.  We already know how to
> customize VW to remove the password when saving the image.  The question
> should be: Assuming you deliver the development environment (including
> the image) to the customer, what procedure do you use to prevent the
> customer from accidentally getting access to your Store passwords?  One
> can simply remove all connection profiles from the image using the
> Repository Manager in the image.  But it's too easy to forget to do
> this.  So what alternative do you use?
>
> It would be nice if out-of-the-box VW supported a Settings option that
> would allow one to choose whether or not to remove Store passwords when
> saving the image, and whether or not to save passwords in the
> repository.xml file(s).
>
> Chris
>
> Charles A. Monteiro wrote:
>> very easy, remove connection profiles and wipe out the password from
>> the default profile i.e. off the top of my head the Global <DbRegistry>
>> once inspected will show an instVar called <recentProfile>, you can
>> write a script to wipe out the password which you can run prior to
>> saving your image.
>>  BTW, if you break into the connection dialog off the VW launcher you
>> will get an idea of what's there and therefore figure out what you want
>> to do, by breaking into i.e. mean control-y, walk down the stack until
>> you see the spot where the dialog is popped, start sniffing :)
>>  hth,
>>  -Charles
>>  On Fri, 23 Jun 2006 09:47:46 -0400, Chris Winemiller
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Saving images and repository files without passwords is important if
>>> the product you deliver to your customer is the entire development
>>> environment, including images.  That is the case with one of Adventa's
>>> products.  You want to ensure that an image sent to your customer does
>>> not accidentally contain your own passwords.
>>>
>>> Why does Adventa deliver the entire VW development environment
>>> (including Adventa classes)?  Because the product is a software
>>> framework that is extended by the customer.
>>>
>>> Does anyone here routinely provide the development environment to the
>>> customer?  If so, how do you deal with Store passwords?
>>>
>>> Chris

Mark Pirogovsky-3
There is another option for you.  In my development environment I use
pstgresSQL for the store repository.  And the database is set in such a
way that it does not need a password whe i connect form the range of
development clients.

So my connection profile never contains any passwords whatsoever.

--Mark