StSDebugger or StsTabbedBrowser throws exceptions all the time

StSDebugger or StsTabbedBrowser throws exceptions all the time

jtuchel
Hi there,

Is it only me or do others also constantly get Errors from the Debugger after closing some windows during development. I must say I have gotten so accustomed to these kinds of problems that I've developped a sense of when I can simply close a Debugger when I changed something without looking at what it says. Most of the times it's an update of some label or some widget's background color that fails because the widget is destroyed already. I can't really remember how many years this error has been happening many times a day.

I never took the time to post the problem here but somehow it was time to do it today ;-) I also get these when I do some renaiming refactorings or remove methods. These problems are of course gone when I don't use StSDebugger etc.

So Here's a Stack trace of the latest one I just had:

Debugger Stack Trace Report:
Error String: 'UndefinedObject does not understand label:'
Resumable: false

Process
    Name: 239567
    Process State: suspended

Executing in: CwStatusBar>>#labelString:

System Configuration Dump

Copyright:

    VA Smalltalk V8.5; Image: 8.5 [194]
    VM Timestamp: 4.0,(NC) 8/17/2011 (82)
    (C) Copyright Instantiations 1994, 2011.  All rights reserved.
    (C) Copyright International Business Machines Corp. 1994, 2006.  All rights reserved.

Time:  15:21:29
Date:  15.06.2012

Platform:

    Virtual machine:  ES
    Bytecode version:  4.0
    Manager version:  4.00
    'OS' subsystem:  'WIN32s'
    'CLIM' subsystem:  'ES'
    'CP' subsystem:  'WIN32s'
    'CLDT' subsystem:  'ES'
    'CFS' subsystem:  'WIN32s'
    'SCI' subsystem:  'WIN'
    'CW' subsystem:  'WIN32s'
    'CPM' subsystem:  'ES'
    'CG' subsystem:  'WIN32s'
    'CPIC' subsystem:  'WIN32s'

Current user:  Joachim Tuchel

Connected Library:

    Pathname:  ...

INFO: Trapped error dumping system configuration.
=============<STACK TRACE BEGINS>============
[] in <optimized block>(ExceptionalEvent class)>>#initializeSystemExceptions
    signal=Signal on Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
Signal>>#evaluate:
    self=Signal on Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
    aBlock=[] in ExceptionalEvent class>>#initializeSystemExceptions
Signal>>#evaluateDefaultHandler:
    self=Signal on Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
    aBlock=[] in ExceptionalEvent class>>#initializeSystemExceptions
ExceptionalEvent>>#applyDefaultHandler:
    self=Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
    aSignal=Signal on Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
    exception=Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
ExceptionalEvent>>#signalFor:
    self=Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
    aSignalOrExceptionSelector=Signal on Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
    handler=nil
ExceptionalEvent>>#signalWithArguments:
    self=Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
    arguments=('UndefinedObject does not understand label:')
ExceptionalEvent>>#signalWith:
    self=Exception: (ExError) An error has occurred.
    arg1='UndefinedObject does not understand label:'
UndefinedObject(Object)>>#error:
    self=nil
    aString='UndefinedObject does not understand label:'
MessageNotUnderstood>>#defaultAction
    self=Signal on Exception: (ExMessageNotUnderstood) An exception has occurred
[] in <optimized block>(Exception class)>>#newExceptionalEvent
    signal=Signal on Exception: (ExMessageNotUnderstood) An exception has occurred
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#evaluateDefaultHandler:
    self=Signal on Exception: (ExMessageNotUnderstood) An exception has occurred
    aBlock=[] in Exception class>>#newExceptionalEvent
ExceptionalEvent>>#applyDefaultHandler:
    self=Exception: (ExMessageNotUnderstood) An exception has occurred
    aSignal=Signal on Exception: (ExMessageNotUnderstood) An exception has occurred
    exception=Exception: (ExMessageNotUnderstood) An exception has occurred
ExceptionalEvent>>#signalFor:
    self=Exception: (ExMessageNotUnderstood) An exception has occurred
    aSignalOrExceptionSelector=Signal on Exception: (ExMessageNotUnderstood) An exception has occurred
    handler=nil
MessageNotUnderstood(Exception)>>#signal
    self=Signal on Exception: (ExMessageNotUnderstood) An exception has occurred
MessageNotUnderstood class(Exception class)>>#signalWith:
    self=MessageNotUnderstood
    signallerTag=(nil Message (#label:, ('(15.06.2012 13:59:36) from MyApp in ''schema migration''')))
UndefinedObject(Object)>>#doesNotUnderstand:
    self=nil
    aMessage=Message (#label:, ('(15.06.2012 13:59:36) from MyApp in ''schema migration'''))
CwStatusBar>>#updateLabelString
    self=CwStatusBar(*Destroyed*)
CwStatusBar>>#labelString:
    self=CwStatusBar(*Destroyed*)
    resourceValue='(15.06.2012 13:59:36) from MyApp in ''schema migration'''
StsTabbedClassBrowserWin(EtBrowser)>>#refreshWidget:
    self=a StsTabbedClassBrowserWin
    updateSelector=#information
StsTabbedClassBrowserWin(EtAbstractMethodsBrowser)>>#updateInformation
    self=a StsTabbedClassBrowserWin
StsTabbedClassBrowserWin(EtClassBrowser)>>#updateInformation
    self=a StsTabbedClassBrowserWin
[] in StsTabbedClassBrowserWin(EtBrowser)>>#singleSelectBreakpointTag:clientData:callData:
    self=a StsTabbedClassBrowserWin
[] in Process>>#executeBlock:withArguments:
    self=Process:239567{suspended,2}
    aBlock=[] in EtBrowser>>#singleSelectBreakpointTag:clientData:callData:
    args=()
Process>>#executeBlock:withArguments:
    self=Process:239567{suspended,2}
    aBlock=[] in EtBrowser>>#singleSelectBreakpointTag:clientData:callData:
    args=()
Process>>#newProcessOn:stackSize:withArguments:named:
    self=Process:239567{suspended,2}
    aBlock=[] in EtBrowser>>#singleSelectBreakpointTag:clientData:callData:
    stackSize=1024
    args=()
    procName='239567'

Re: StSDebugger or StsTabbedBrowser throws exceptions all the time

Seth Berman
Hi Joachim,

It was not only you:)...this got fixed in 8.5.1.

To reproduce:
1) Open any Appliction/Class/Method browser
2) Set a breakpoint anywhere on a method
3) Click the "red ball" breakpoint widget and immediatley (< 5 seconds) close the browser
4) Wait for 5 seconds

Quick patch:
Change "self updateInformation" to "self shell isDestroyed ifFalse: [self updateInformation]"
in EtBrowser>>singleSelectBreakpointTag:clientData:callData:

-- Seth

On Friday, June 15, 2012 9:28:38 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]

Seth,

thanks for the info.
This bug has been there for quite a few years, and nobody has ever complained about it ;-)

Joachim

Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2012 16:31:15 UTC+2 schrieb Seth Berman:
[...]

Thomas Koschate-2
On Friday, June 15, 2012 11:11:30 AM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:

This bug has been there for quite a few years, and nobody has ever complained about it ;-)

I've got to say, I don't think I've ever seen it before this.  I had to work hard following Seth's instructions to make it happen.  I don't think I'll worry about it too much for now, so of course I'll probably encounter several times a day now.

Tom

Re: StSDebugger or StsTabbedBrowser throws exceptions all the time

jtuchel
Tom

>I don't think I'll worry about it too much for now, so of course I'll probably encounter several times a day now.

So sorry for that. My intention was to improve our productivity, not to reduce it ;-)

I used to have this (and I think some others of that kind as well but don't have any facts at hand) very often. With that I mean once an hour or so, and I swear I didn't always wait for 5 seconds before I clicked anything. It showed up so often that I literally developed a sense of knowing when a debugger can be ignored safely. Just like the OsPtr>>#free debugger that pops up shortly after you start a Seaside image that had a running Seaside Server. But I was told that one is also gone on 8.5.1.
Maybe it's really time for me to upgrade ...
I guess this error has been there since VAST shipped with VA Assist, and maybe users of VA Assist have seen it even before that when they had to purchase VA Assist as an add-on.

Joachim