Stackoverflow - for raising mindshare?

senTalker
Hello fellow Squeak/Pharo users,

at work I find stack-overflow a quite valuable resource whenever I get
stuck with something (Java, Ruby, Unix, etc.).

What do you think about the idea of using it more, so that:

- people starting with Smalltalk can find answers there apart from
digging in the mailing-lists
- raising the awareness/mind-share about open-source Smalltalk in the
"outside world"?

I for one will try to double-post my questions both in the
corresponding mailing lists and stack-overflow, and whenever I find
good information that might be helpful for newcomers, I'll try to post
it there also.

It might help attracting more people to open-source Smalltalk and gain
more acceptance in the industry.

Best regards,

Sebastian

Re: Stackoverflow - for raising mindshare?

kilon
I really like stackoverflow . I visit it quite often to learn something new by browsing all questions. As suprising it may sound the questions interest me more than the answers because expose areas I am not familiar or aware of.

It also good idea to show people that there is an active interest in pharo but I think thats up to the people asking the questions. I dont think stackoverflow can and should replace the mailing lists but its still is a welcomed addition.

By the way i tried to answer your git question. :)

2012/12/3 dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]>:
> I dont think stackoverflow can and should replace the
> mailing lists but its still is a welcomed addition.

Yes, of course. I was not arguing about replacing the mailing-lists! No way! :-)

But I think it's a good addition, as you say, and:
- helps sending a signal to the world/developer community
- maybe prevents from questions arising again and again in the mailing-lists
- creates dynamic, specific, de-centralized pool of knowledge

> By the way i tried to answer your git question. :)

I saw that, voted and commented, thanks!

Re: Stackoverflow - for raising mindshare?

Camillo Bruni-3

On 2012-12-03, at 09:43, Sebastian Nozzi <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2012/12/3 dimitris chloupis <[hidden email]>:
>> I dont think stackoverflow can and should replace the
>> mailing lists but its still is a welcomed addition.
>
> Yes, of course. I was not arguing about replacing the mailing-lists! No way! :-)
>
> But I think it's a good addition, as you say, and:
> - helps sending a signal to the world/developer community
> - maybe prevents from questions arising again and again in the mailing-lists
> - creates dynamic, specific, de-centralized pool of knowledge

yes!! very important! smalltalk has too little presence in the web!

mailinglists won't help with that fact, as they act almost as closed communities.
Also it happens way too often that questions are re-asked and reposted, whereas they
could be answered on stackoverflow.

Re: [Newbies] Stackoverflow - for raising mindshare?

senTalker
So far the reactions have been positive. I am (positively) surprised :-)
I want to cross-post (squeak/pharo) these in particular.

2012/12/3 Camillo Bruni:
> yes!! very important! smalltalk has too little presence in the web!

Yes, unfortunately. But we can change that ;-)

2012/12/3 H. Hirzel:
> Yes, I think cross-posting is a good idea.
> And I suggest that you post to Stackoverflow first and then invite
> people from the Squeak list to contribute.

Good idea.

> The answers on stackoverflow are indexed in a better way than in this
> mailing list.
> Note aside: good keywords in mailing lists posts also help to identify
> an answer in the archive.

Didn't think of that, good point. I tend to write too much rather than
too little anyway :-)

Thanks all of you for your feedback,

Sebastian