Standalone Amber deployable?

David Given
Hello,

Is there a minimal, static Amber deployable I can use to add Smalltalk
scripts to an existing web page?

What I'd really like is a static .js I can add to my page that adds
support for running .st scripts via <script> (with the compilation
happening on the client). Preferably from a CDN. I don't care about
Helios or the legacy IDE or anything other than the core of the standard
library.

Does such a thing exist?

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────
│ "There is nothing in the world so dangerous --- and I mean *nothing*

Re: Standalone Amber deployable?

Herby Vojčík

David Given wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a minimal, static Amber deployable I can use to add Smalltalk
> scripts to an existing web page?
>
> What I'd really like is a static .js I can add to my page that adds
> support for running .st scripts via<script>  (with the compilation
> happening on the client). Preferably from a CDN. I don't care about
> Helios or the legacy IDE or anything other than the core of the standard
> library.
>
> Does such a thing exist?

No. You can make one yourself. Change deploy.js to deploy with amber/lang (not amber/deploy) and use the same API workspace uses (#evaluateExpression: IIRC).

Herby

Re: Standalone Amber deployable?

David Given
On 22/08/15 00:05, Herby Vojčík wrote:
[...]
>> Is there a minimal, static Amber deployable I can use to add Smalltalk
>> scripts to an existing web page?
[...]
> No. You can make one yourself. Change deploy.js to deploy with
> amber/lang (not amber/deploy) and use the same API workspace uses
> (#evaluateExpression: IIRC).

Can you expand? I don't understand what you mean here.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────
│ "There is nothing in the world so dangerous --- and I mean *nothing*
│ --- as a children's story that happens to be true." --- Master Li Kao,
│ _The Bridge of Birds_

Re: Standalone Amber deployable?

Herby Vojčík
Just go the standard way, install amber and start new app as shown in README on github; and tbe purpose of the app will be what you wanted (compile and run scripts on the page).

Then you just use it as any other app (deploy it to one file etc.).

Dňa 22. augusta 2015 11:11:39 CEST používateľ David Given <[hidden email]> napísal:

On 22/08/15 12:02, Herby Vojčík wrote:
> Just go the standard way, install amber and start new app as shown in
> README on github; and tbe purpose of the app will be what you wanted
> (compile and run scripts on the page).

Unfortunately I specifically would rather not do this, as I'm not using
the standard app workflow --- it makes life way harder for me. Hence my
desire for a precompiled compiler core and standard library I can bolt
on to my existing app. Everything else I want to load on-the-fly using
.st files.

--
┌─── dg@cowlark.com ───── http://www.cowlark.com ─────
│ "There is nothing in the world so dangerous --- and I mean *nothing*
│ --- as a children's story that happens to be true." --- Master Li Kao,
│ _The Bridge of Birds_

Re: Standalone Amber deployable?

Herby Vojčík

Dňa 22. augusta 2015 13:38:26 CEST používateľ David Given <[hidden email]> napísal:

> On 22/08/15 12:02, Herby Vojčík wrote:
> > Just go the standard way, install amber and start new app as shown
> in
> > README on github; and tbe purpose of the app will be what you wanted
> > (compile and run scripts on the page).
>
> Unfortunately I specifically would rather not do this, as I'm not
> using
> the standard app workflow --- it makes life way harder for me. Hence
> my
> desire for a precompiled compiler core and standard library I can bolt

As you wish. Make that thing yourself. As an amber app. Using standard workflow.

> on to my existing app. Everything else I want to load on-the-fly using
> .st files.

Re: Standalone Amber deployable?

Hannes Hirzel
Maybe having a look atYou could have a look at

   https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/trysmalltalk

helps.
It works standalone as a js file and executes st code you supply.

--Hannes

On 23/08/15 17:39, H. Hirzel wrote:
> Maybe having a look atYou could have a look at
>
>    https://github.com/amber-smalltalk/trysmalltalk
>
> helps.

Ooh, thanks --- I totally forgot about that. It's very neat and I've
pointed several people at it as an introduction to Smalltalk (although I
have found one typo, and I've had several people complain that pressing
the DoIt button with nothing selected produces an incomprehensible error
message.

It's not minified, too, so I can simply steal the .js files... (I
suspect I would be unpopular if I were to link to the ones on your website!)