Standard Windows print dialog

Carl Gundel-2
Hi,

I need access to the standard Windows print dialog.  CwPrinterPrompter just doesn't cut it for my my application.

Am I just overlooking it?  Do I need to load it or download it from somewhere?

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Standard Windows print dialog

Louis LaBrunda
Hi Carl,

You should take a look at Totally ObjectsVisibility Color.  It may be overkill for what you want but it is worth a look.  The web page starts out talking about Turtle Graphics.  That is a new feature and you don't need to use it, so don't let it put you off, dig a little deeper to see if it is what you need.

Lou

Re: Standard Windows print dialog

Carl Gundel-2

On Friday, January 17, 2014 9:42:45 AM UTC-5, Louis LaBrunda wrote:
Hi Carl,

You should take a look at <a onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totallyobjects.com%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEgW2TK4akdmhiAUQ5zc-cU1os2yA';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totallyobjects.com%2F\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEgW2TK4akdmhiAUQ5zc-cU1os2yA';return true;" href="http://www.totallyobjects.com/" target="_blank">Totally Objects - <a onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totallyobjects.com%2FViscol.htm\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHSLexM5OV-tuMcUpOMlE3T1R5IoQ';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totallyobjects.com%2FViscol.htm\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNHSLexM5OV-tuMcUpOMlE3T1R5IoQ';return true;" href="http://www.totallyobjects.com/Viscol.htm" target="_blank">Visibility Color.  It may be overkill for what you want but it is worth a look.  The web page starts out talking about Turtle Graphics.  That is a new feature and you don't need to use it, so don't let it put you off, dig a little deeper to see if it is what you need.

Lou

Hi Louis,

This framework includes a native Windows print dialog?  I don't see anything about that in the docs.

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Standard Windows print dialog

Long Haired David
I have explained what Visibility can do in a private e-mail to Carl. Basically, within Visibility you have full access to all of the print parameters for the chosen printer. You can then adjust these as required.

Note to Lou: Lou, you may not be adept at Turtle Graphics but it gives Visibility a way of producing paged output very quickly and accurately. You can define a page in terms of physical content and dimensions - mm, inches, etc. and after that you can scale the page using a scale percentage. You can range over the whole page putting items when're you want them. It makes producing printed output an absolute doddle and frees you from the need to define print objects. I recommend that you try it.

As an example, for one of my companies I needed a landscape A4 price list that could be converted into a folded A5 booklet. This required full imposition(printing pages across a spread which when folder have the correct page numbers. This was simply put together using Turtle Graphics and thus I could print out an up to date price list from my database on demand. Just an example.

Advert - a snip at £50.00 per copy with a licence for 2 developers. Check out http://www.totallyobjects.com/viscol.htm

David

Totally Objects
Doing Smalltalk since 1989

Re: Standard Windows print dialog

Carl Gundel-2
Yes, thanks David.

Unfortunately this does not solve the problem.  So far no one has jumped in to say "Yes of course you can open a native Windows print dialog.  Just do such and such."

I'm beginning to feel a certain dread.  :-(

VA Smalltalk has many wonderful qualities, but how can a Windows development platform of this maturity not have support for every single native dialog box?  Do I now need to poke around to see what else is missing?  How did we arrive here?

-Carl

Advert - a snip at £50.00 per copy with a licence for 2 developers. Check out <a onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totallyobjects.com%2Fviscol.htm\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGk5lEzRyVDMLn1UTai3UpO97WS3A';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fwww.totallyobjects.com%2Fviscol.htm\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNGk5lEzRyVDMLn1UTai3UpO97WS3A';return true;" href="http://www.totallyobjects.com/viscol.htm" target="_blank">http://www.totallyobjects.com/viscol.htm

David

On Thursday, January 16, 2014 11:28:02 PM UTC, Carl Gundel wrote:
Hi,

I need access to the standard Windows print dialog.  CwPrinterPrompter just doesn't cut it for my my application.

Am I just overlooking it?  Do I need to load it or download it from somewhere?

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Standard Windows print dialog

Richard Sargent
Administrator
On Friday, January 17, 2014 12:38:30 PM UTC-8, Carl Gundel wrote:
Unfortunately this does not solve the problem.  So far no one has jumped in to say "Yes of course you can open a native Windows print dialog.  Just do such and such."

OSCall>>#documentProperties:hPrinter:pDeviceName:pDevModeOutput:pDevModeInput:fMode: calls the Windows function DocumentProperties(). VA only uses it to get the size of the data structure, but you should be able to use it for more things.

Microsoft documentation: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd183576%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

 You will probably want to back track VA's use of this function to get a better idea of how to use it from Smalltalk. For example, I hacked VA to use 4 instead of 0 for the fMode argument, so it would prompt. I got a Windows printer dialogue for the WebEx printer. Obviously, there much be a way to specify which printer is of interest to you.

Microsoft documentation: <a onmousedown="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fmsdn.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Flibrary%2Fwindows%2Fdesktop%2Fdd183576%2528v%3Dvs.85%2529.aspx\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEsgB6iFHIJYpw_VPcNe4WWg-dD3A';return true;" onclick="this.href='http://www.google.com/url?q\75http%3A%2F%2Fmsdn.microsoft.com%2Fen-us%2Flibrary%2Fwindows%2Fdesktop%2Fdd183576%2528v%3Dvs.85%2529.aspx\46sa\75D\46sntz\0751\46usg\75AFQjCNEsgB6iFHIJYpw_VPcNe4WWg-dD3A';return true;" href="http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd183576%28v=vs.85%29.aspx" target="_blank">http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/dd183576%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

 You will probably want to back track VA's use of this function to get a better idea of how to use it from Smalltalk. For example, I hacked VA to use 4 instead of 0 for the fMode argument, so it would prompt. I got a Windows printer dialogue for the WebEx printer. Obviously, there much be a way to specify which printer is of interest to you.

Richard,

I appreciate your input, but it really should be as easy (or nearly so) as PrintDialog new open, right?  ;-)

On Friday, January 17, 2014 1:45:07 PM UTC-8, Carl Gundel wrote:
I appreciate your input, but it really should be as easy (or nearly so) as PrintDialog new open, right?  ;-)

If VisualAge Smalltalk were oriented solely towards Windows, IBM might have included such a feature. Unfortunately (or not), they targetted multiple platforms and so designed a "common denominator" dialogue that would present the same experience across all platforms.

So, someone needs to create such a class, after which it will be as easy to use as you suggest. :-)

Re: Standard Windows print dialog

Louis LaBrunda

Hi Dave,

I didn't mean to disparage Turtle Graphics.  I'm sure it is very powerful.  I just didn't want Carl to be off put by its somewhat toy like sounding name.  The first thing you see when you go to the web page is Turtle Graphics.  That's fine, it's powerful, it's important and you are rightly proud it but it may lead people to think the Visibility is less than it is.

I am planing to give Turtle Graphics.  I have some questions but will email you off line.

On Friday, January 17, 2014 3:00:45 PM UTC-5, Totally Objects wrote:

Note to Lou: Lou, you may not be adept at Turtle Graphics but it gives Visibility a way of producing paged output very quickly and accurately. You can define a page in terms of physical content and dimensions - mm, inches, etc. and after that you can scale the page using a scale percentage. You can range over the whole page putting items when're you want them. It makes producing printed output an absolute doddle and frees you from the need to define print objects. I recommend that you try it.

Re: Standard Windows print dialog

Ralf Helm
Hello Carl,

CwPrinterPrompter is the right class. Unfortunately, the class is a little faulty, nevertheless, it is the right point of start to open the printer driver dialog. A class to open a standard print dialog to make default settings is unknown to me. But I have a question, what will you do with this dialog?

Ralf

Am Freitag, 17. Januar 2014 00:28:02 UTC+1 schrieb Carl Gundel:Hi,

I need access to the standard Windows print dialog.  CwPrinterPrompter just doesn't cut it for my my application.

Am I just overlooking it?  Do I need to load it or download it from somewhere?

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Standard Windows print dialog

Carl Gundel-2
Hi Ralf,

Our customers use the standard Windows print dialog to choose a printer, specify how many copies to print, choose landscape or portait mode, select an output tray, etc.  Essentially they are used to having all the functionality of the standard print dialog.  Some of them are surprisingly vocal about this kind of thing.

Thanks,

-Carl

On Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:24:07 AM UTC-5, Ralf Helm wrote:
Hello Carl,

CwPrinterPrompter is the right class. Unfortunately, the class is a little faulty, nevertheless, it is the right point of start to open the printer driver dialog. A class to open a standard print dialog to make default settings is unknown to me. But I have a question, what will you do with this dialog?

Ralf

Am Freitag, 17. Januar 2014 00:28:02 UTC+1 schrieb Carl Gundel:Hi,

I need access to the standard Windows print dialog.  CwPrinterPrompter just doesn't cut it for my my application.

Am I just overlooking it?  Do I need to load it or download it from somewhere?

Thanks,

-Carl

Re: Standard Windows print dialog

Ralf Helm
Hello Carl,

ah, ok now I understand. Look at OSPrintdlg structure. But I can't see a reference in ST and I have never make a class to use this function. Search for PRINTDLG you will find the structure definition and the function PrintDlg. Unfortunately, the use is a little more complicated, maybe you're lucky and it has been implemented already by someone. BTW: In Delphi use the class TPrintDialog, ups, Sorry.:)

Regards

Ralf