StandardFileMenu should die

timrowledge
The ancient and unspeakably ugly StandardFileMenu has no senders in the image. I'd love to remove it. Obviously there may be extant users out there in interesting packages - does anyone know of any such?

tim
Useful random insult:- Puts a finger in his ear so the draft through his head isn't annoying.

Re: StandardFileMenu should die

marcel.taeumel
Hi Tim,

put it into the "60Deprecated" package. Please do not delete it. Also, add a commt to what use as substitute.

Best,
Marcel

Am 08.01.2019 00:01:29 schrieb tim Rowledge <[hidden email]>:

The ancient and unspeakably ugly StandardFileMenu has no senders in the image. I'd love to remove it. Obviously there may be extant users out there in interesting packages - does anyone know of any such?

tim
Useful random insult:- Puts a finger in his ear so the draft through his head isn't annoying.

Re: StandardFileMenu should die

timrowledge

> On 2019-01-08, at 12:01 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> put it into the "60Deprecated" package. Please do not delete it. Also, add a commt to what use as substitute.

Aww, there you go again being all reasonable :-( I just wanted to nuke it from orbit; is that so terrible?

I'll be pushing to actually dump deprecated stuff more aggressively. No backsliding to where we have eleventy-twelve layers of deprecated stuff waiting to be spaced.

tim
"Bother" said Pooh, when Piglet stubbed his fag out on the semtex.

Re: StandardFileMenu should die

Eliot Miranda-2
Hi Tim, Hi Marcel,

On Tue, Jan 8, 2019 at 10:41 AM tim Rowledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2019-01-08, at 12:01 AM, Marcel Taeumel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> put it into the "60Deprecated" package. Please do not delete it. Also, add a commt to what use as substitute.

Aww, there you go again being all reasonable :-( I just wanted to nuke it from orbit; is that so terrible?

I'll be pushing to actually dump deprecated stuff more aggressively. No backsliding to where we have eleventy-twelve layers of deprecated stuff waiting to be spaced.

Here are the three uses I find in a VMMaker image.  Clearly none is vital but it would be nice to have a rewrite that doesn't use StandardFileMenu for the B3D one.  I think Marcel is right to suggest 60Deprecated as its final resting place.  Deprecated code can be unloaded in the short term and discarded in the long.  Do we have a policy on how long deprecated packages stay in trunk?

'From Squeak5.3alpha of 2 January 2019 [latest update: #18337] on 8 January 2019 at 11:11:33 am'!

!B3DSceneExplorerMorph methodsFor: 'actions'!
openThreeDSFile
| menu result newFileString myScene |
menu := StandardFileMenu oldFileMenu: (FileDirectory default) withPattern: '*.3ds'.
result := menu startUpWithCaption: 'Select 3DS model file ...'.
result ifNotNil: [
newFileString := (result directory pathName),(result directory pathNameDelimiter asString),(result name).
myScene := (B3DScene withoutQuestionsFrom3DS: (ThreeDSParser parseFileNamed: newFileString)).
self scene: myScene].! !

!VMMakerTool methodsFor: 'configurations' stamp: 'ar 3/10/2002 15:05'!
loadConfig
| fileResult file |
fileResult := (StandardFileMenu oldFileMenu: FileDirectory default withPattern: '*.config')
startUpWithCaption: 'Select VMMaker configuration...'.
fileResult
ifNotNil: [file := fileResult directory fullNameFor: fileResult name.
[vmMaker := VMMaker forConfigurationFile: file.
vmMaker logger: logger.
vmMaker platformDirectory]
on: Error
do: [self inform: 'Possible problem with path settings or platform name?'].
self updateAllViews]! !

!VMMakerTool methodsFor: 'configurations' stamp: 'rww 9/23/2001 14:17'!
saveConfig

"write info about the current configuration to a file."
| fileResult file |
fileResult := (StandardFileMenu newFileMenu: FileDirectory default withPattern: '*.config')
startUpWithCaption: 'Save VMMaker configuration...'.
fileResult ifNotNil: [
('*.config' match: fileResult name)
ifFalse: [fileResult name: (fileResult name, '.config')].
file := fileResult directory fullNameFor: fileResult name.
vmMaker saveConfigurationTo: file].
! !

_,,,^..^,,,_
best, Eliot

Re: StandardFileMenu should die

timrowledge

> On 2019-01-08, at 11:15 AM, Eliot Miranda <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Here are the three uses I find in a VMMaker image.  Clearly none is vital but it would be nice to have a rewrite that doesn't use StandardFileMenu for the B3D one.

Excellent - that's what I wanted to find out about. They're all easy to replace.

tim
Programming is an art form that fights back.

Re: StandardFileMenu should die

Craig Latta

Hi Eliot--

> Do we have a policy on how long deprecated packages stay in trunk?

     If we don't come up with one by 2018-01-16, I've added it as
something to discuss at that day's board meeting.

     thanks,

-C

--
Craig Latta